What shooting discipline is the truest test of marksmanship?

Not exactly

"The bench proves the rifle, offhand proves the man".

sure about that... You still had better be able to read the wind off of the bench as well as shooting off hand.

Yes you must prove your equipment off of the bench to know thst is shooting to its full potential offhand.

Any sport that ALL shooters compete in the wind. Many can shoot without it few can shoot with it. The wind is a true dividing line amongst marksmen. High Power (NRA Camp Perry stuff) may be the best. But rimfire or centerfire could be just as good if shooters didn't avoid the wind. Seems too many don't show up to ranges that are notoriously high in wind velocity and excellent ranges on bad days.JMHO!

Carp

My question really can't be answered with one answer... It is a bit like comparing apples and oranges.. they are different...

The best off hand shooter is really no more of a marksman than the best Benchrest shooter... they both excel at what they do.

I like what you said, "a good marksman is someone who can hit a target of unknown size at an unknown distance in any condition."

That is hard to beat...

... and I don't think I have ever enjoying any shooting as much as coyote hunting in Alberta...

Dennis, I think that either high power or off hand does require alot more than BR as far as skill, you do not rely on any mechanics short of a sling or your muscles for results, the term marksman may be generic but the skill involved would fall to off hand or high power in my opinion. Great post!
Ron Tilley

Don't forget the marksmanship it takes not to fire a weapon when it is not safe to do so; to let the shot go in the interest of safety!

I'm glad you ask. I have the utmost respect for any discipline pertaining to shooting. I've always said all shooting is good as long as it promotes the shooting sports or guns in general. But I honestly believe these guys here are what shooting dreams are made of. It takes years upon years of practice to get this good for most shooters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofcnDLA3pFE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7IE_dXoicA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrIMPYRN5-w&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXfh_PAT8Lk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5uHt4AwYb4

Good Question

I don't know if there is a good answer on this one. It's very hard to say what (if any) discipline is THE ultimate test of marksmanship.

Each has it's own standards by which marksmanship in that discipline is judged to be evident. BR for example: at 100Y, a group less than .1 is good, where a .3 or .4 is not (my category). Other disciplines I am not familiar enough with to say whats good or bad, but you get the idea. I have heard of some that say an Appleseed shoot is a good test of marksmanship.

As Bill Wynne said, being able to hit any target at any range in any condition is definitely a test, but I don't know if it's the test or the only test.

As I said...hard question to answer.

Not sure which is the best test myself, but if you shoot 10 meter air rifle outdoors in the spring like my 4H kids do and the ten ring is the size of a period, you find out real quick just how good you are.

You have it all in this sport, wind to blow off a shot, small bullseye, three position shooting, and the sky is the limit on what tackle you want to use.

I take my kids from the bench into 3 position shooting and most want to give up very quickly when they realize they have to learn how to get their bodies into position so they don't wobble all over the place.

Is it harder than benchrest shooting, who's to say but there is a lot more involved in shooting accurately when you have to worry about body positioning as well as the sights as well as the wind.

I dare venture to say that a lot of folks can't shoot well while doing three position fire.

About this true test of a marksman.

I have been shooting 50/50 for 2 or 3 years. My rifle will shoot 250 quite often in my warehouse. I have yet to shoot a 250 outdoors in practice or in a match. Reading the wind and reacting to it is the real test. I have shot a 249 and I will shoot a 250 someday. Perfection in benchrest 22 has to be as much of a test as shooting a perfect score in some offhand contest. Ask any benchrest shooter.

Concho Bill

My opinion is that it is the 300 meters ISSF Rifle Standard matches: 20 shots at prone, 20 at kneeling and 20 standing.
You have to deal with wind and the fatigue of 60 highpower centerfire shots at about 330 yards at a X of aprox. 2 inches...

While hitting someone at long distance may be stressful, hitting them at 6 feet or less can be more stressful. ;)

Jump shooting jack rabbits and cottontails with .22's is a lot of fun. And can sure sharpen up your eye for deer season.

How about NASA and the soft impact on Jupiter?

That is pretty good although it was a known sized object at a known distance.

I knew a fellow named Jim who hunted jackrabbits with his deer rifle which was a .375 H&H. He said, "If you can hit a running rabbit, you can hit a running deer." Jim was pretty much a one gun man.

Concho Bill

Dennis

As an avid Benchrest Competitor, most would naturally assume I would say, "Of course, 100-200 yard Benchrest". But, I am not so niave as to think that.

I have stated it many times on these Forums, every shooting Discipline has some unique quirk that produces the level of difficulty. There are many shooting Disciplines that require a certain amount of athletic ability. (man, does that leave most of us out). This could involve eye hand coordination, stamina, and quickness. Heck, I might be able to get down into the prone position, but getting up is the problem.

Others involve a strong mental capacity, being able to think at a moments notice, and make correct decisions based on what what you observe.

Others are very equipment oriented. Of course, paramount in this field is Benchrest, whether it be 100-200 group, score, or long range. The finest shooter on the Planet cannot overcome the deficiencies of a Rifle that is not up to the task. As for 100-200 yard Benchrest, it all starts with the Rifle. The simple fact is, great Rifles make good shooters. That is why most of us spend so much time insuring that the Rifle is up to the task at hand.

But, which is really the most difficult test of marksmanship for most Humans to master?? Anything that involves off hand shooting, such as many Pistol Disiplines, and Rifle Disciplines such as High Power.

The simple fact is, the shooters that participate in those types of shooting could learn to do what I do. But, I doubt very seriously that I could master what they do, for obvious reasons. Mybe 30 years ago, but not now.......jackie

I'm gonna agree and disagree. You have to have the EQ regardless of what discipline you're shooting but you can't buy your way into the winner's circle.
I agree each different kind of shooting has innate challenges but I think a fellow that would have the mental discipline to do the needed things to win at Bench Rest would also be a winner in any of the others. And vice versa.

Let's face it, anyone that would give up drinking coffee two days before a match has got to be a strong willed individual! :D

I'm game (if a range cane be found to use) for 1000 yd offhand.

Shot it once, 10 rounds. a bit of a contest. 7 made paper.

"true" test

The original thread started with what is the truest test of a marksman. Well there is a story of a man who was tested. His name was George Farr and it happened in 1921. The story is told by Dick Culver and it is too long to copy here. I will give a link to the site where you can read about a "real" marksman.
http://www.bobrohrer.com/sea_stories/end_of_an_era.pdf
It is worth your time if you don't already know the story.

The original thread started with what is the truest test of a marksman. Well there is a story of a man who was tested. His name was George Farr and it happened in 1921. The story is told by Dick Culver and it is too long to copy here. I will give a link to the site where you can read about a "real" marksman.
http://www.bobrohrer.com/sea_stories/end_of_an_era.pdf
It is worth your time if you don't already know the story.

"It ain't braggin'if you can do it."

Concho Bill

Back