What portable scale to purchase

My Avatar:

The front portion "Cargo Trailer" in the Avatar is of Gray Wide ribbed Metal Roofing. In the flesh, the construction of that portion of the Cargo Trailer is somewhat more crude than this picture shows. Betya there was a Harley inside :)

Last edited:
james...
i'll take exception to the article...till you furnish some lab quality data...
using a beam scale vs a thrower is NOT comparing WEIGHED vs thrown.
again the subject of accuracy/toerance and sensitivity...beam type typically reloading scales just dont count in WEIGHING charges.

mike in co

In my article in the last PS, I found that weighed charges have a minimal advantage over thrown charges at 100/200 yards. I also shoot 600 yard competition and I weigh each charge for that competition. James

the chargemaster scale is like most other reloading scales...plus or minus 0.1.....

mike in co

From what I have read, there is an issue with digital scales not responding when small quantities of powder are added to a thrown charge that is already on the scale. Some posters have said that they could work around this by very lightly touching the pan just after each small addition of powder. Perhaps a wind enclosure,with a linkage that allows this would be a work around.

Although not cheap, the scale that comes as a part of the Chargemaster, which is available separately, seems to respond well to small added amounts of powder. One of these, in a wind box (that also housed a battery pack), with a trickler, similar to the one that I have for my balance scale, would probably do the trick......or you could just go ahead and get a Chargemaster.

Back