What portable scale to purchase

O

oldpup223

I just had a failure of my Hornady GS-350 digital scale and now need to purchase a new scale to take to the range with me. What would you buy or what do you use and why? I want to weigh my powder charges on a 30BR.
Thanks
Denton Smith

Denton - Something to consider. If you intend to weigh at the range, get a scale with a cover, or make one to suit. It sometimes (always) gets windy and few scales will work accurately in the wind.

ray

At home we use a Pact scale.
Made in Texas and last I looked that's America.
We have had good service from this unit and when Pact came out with their powder dispenser, they retro fitted this scale to work in conjunction with their unit at no cost to us. The Pact scale now comes with that feature in it. Their scale runs on AC or on battery.

I own three Pact scales now. Two just like yours, and the BBK one. I use the BBK at the range from time to time, and has yet to ever fail me! All products with PACT's name on it are made in Texas
gary

Denton - Something to consider. If you intend to weigh at the range, get a scale with a cover, or make one to suit. It sometimes (always) gets windy and few scales will work accurately in the wind.

ray

I keep mine in a tall cigar box (wooden one) that's about 6" x 7" x 4" tall. Has a sliding lid that can be closed halfway. Looking for a shorter one with a sliding lid right now. I like to store all my tools in wood cigar boxed I might add.
gary

All of them are aggravating as heck. You put a case on, zero it, throw a charge, weigh it, then have to add powder, and the damned thing now weighs less. Or, you keep adding, and adding, and finally it goes up.

I got so tired of all that cr-p I just went back to throwing charges the way I have for years.

lots of cheap scales will do plus or minus 0.1.....once...but they are not designed for trickling up.....that is the sensitivity ...and they dont have it.

are you outside ? or can you load in a sheltered area ?? wind...air currents are an issue.

so what is acceptable to you...plus or minus 0.1 ?

if so just take a beam scale in a box...no big cost.
if you want less than 0.1...you need a solid base and a power supply and a scale that has the sensitivity for trickling......300 bucks or so....

buy test tubes and fill them at home with fixed charges.

mike in co

One tip, because of static charge, that can influence the scale, it needs to be glass.

Attachments

• Scale wind box 002.jpg
    Scale wind box 002.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 255
Pesky Scales

I read through all the posts and you are all spot on with the various input. Good scales will have the ability to select the resolution, the readout ie grams grains etc the sensitivity as well as the readout update rate. I wouldn't bother buying a set if all these features were present. It will be agravating to use. Mine cost about $500 and have the textronics lable on them.

Static will certainly alter the readings which is why the wind covers on lab scales are usually glass. Inbuilt voltage stabilization for mains use is also recommended which most don't have for battery use.

I weigh my charges at home and put the powder into screw top vials which cost
4 cents each.

Andy.

I contacted Hornady and to their credit they said to send it back and they would take care of it.
I normally load at home except when working up a new load. Then I drop from a Harells and double check with my Hornady by dropping a load then checking it inside the case with the case on the scales. I usually zero case drop the powder and weigh, if not right just repeat until I get what I want. All other times I load at home on my Aculab which I like.
Thanks for all the replies with suggestions and information.
Denton Smith

Vials etc

The company that supplies most of the stuff I need for the chemical darkroom that I still run as part of my photography business is Science Essentials. Not sure if the USA has this company but most lab supply houses should have them in various sizes.

The area I do my loading in is a room with no windows just an air conditioner that I turn off for the duration of weighing operations. The only drafts are those I create by walking around. So no need for building shelters.

Andy.

German,
Some years ago, I came up with the idea for what you see in the photograph. At the time, I didn't have a place to do wood work, but I was lucky enough to have a friend, and fellow shooter who did. His name is Ed Hellam. Anyway, Ed built us both what I call scale wind boxes. Since then, a couple of other friends have made them for their own use. As you may be able to see, the box has leveling feet. It may be hard to see from the angle that the picture was taken, but there is a bulls eye level mounted on the top. The sliding glass front cover is pretty evident. The wood piece, that I am gripping helps form the wind seal. coming into contact with the top of the box, as the bottom of the glass comes to rest on the bottom piece. The key feature of all the variations, is that the charge can be trickled to final weight with the cover closed. On my version, this is accomplished by having the trickler inside,with its handle extending through a fitted hole in the side of the box, so that it may be turned with the cover closed.

Shortly after the box was built, I toyed with the idea of submitting an article about it to Precision Shooting. My rough draft was titled "The Missing Link" since this box is the only additional piece of equipment that the typical reloader would need to load outdoors, at the range, (a practice that I find allows much more rapid load development, than the more typical cycle of loading at home and testing at the range). As it turns out, the scale box has mostly been used to help friends develop loads for new hunting rifles, using powders that are too coarse to throw. Generally, we have been able to come up with loads in one day at the range, if the rifle was properly prepared (correct bedding).
Boyd

I've been very pleased with my RCBS Chargemaster after I "equipped" it so breezes/winds in the loading area don't have any significant detrimental effect on its operation. I've found it very reliable. The weight of loads are more accurate than I can throw with a volumetric measure.

Attached are some pics of my setup. Admittedly, this may be a bit of overkill. But, I have a shop and enjoy working with pretty woods. I have it set up using a small inverter that I power from a 12VDC battery. I've had no problems operating this way. However, from other readings, it seems the Chargemaster will "eat" 12VDC straight without the necessity of being converted to AC. However, I have not verified this w/RCBS.

Attachments

• 100_2928.jpg
    100_2928.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 249
  • 100_2929.jpg
    100_2929.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 205
  • 100_2933.jpg
    100_2933.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 225
  • 100_2930.jpg
    100_2930.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 100_2932.jpg
    100_2932.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 210
Just to satisfy my curiosity - do weighed vs thrown charges produce real improvements where the bullet meets the paper?

Ray

Just to satisfy my curiosity - do weighed vs thrown charges produce real improvements where the bullet meets the paper?

Ray

Ray, how are you going to prove that beyond any doubt? Dunno'.

I think it has been proven in the "tunnel world" that about 0.3 grains V133 will take you to the next node (or into and out of a node)?? Right or wrong??

We can prove ourselves that thrown charges can vary as much as +/- 0.4, right or wrong??

See where this is going??

Jerry - I confess that I was fishing. But, after thinking about it I realize that I should not have hi-jacked oldpup's thread. It was just that all the talk about weighing, throwing, Chargemasters, glass vials, etc was too much to let go by.

Sorry oldpup.

Ray

Probably not measurable

Well psychologically it makes a difference in that there has just been one less variable to be concerned about removed. However I have to admit the PSECO powder measure I use throws charges within + or - half a tenth of a grain when the variation of 10 charges are weighed. So realistically any differences in an agg are probably not measurable.

Andy.

Ray

Probably not , but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling and I just love loading a few days before the match in the comfort of my reloading room with my Chargemaster.

Dick

I order glass tubes with screw tops from Carolina Biological Supply.

www.carolina.com

Part number 731039 Culture Tubes with caps 16x100 mm, 24 each to the box
Part number 731872 Plastic test tube holder

Charlie

Andy,
You are weighing ten charges at once to figure your variance?

Jerry,
Gene Beggs once wrote that for a typical 6PPC, from node to node is approximately 1.2 grains. I presume that he determined this in his tunnel.

I recall one well known, accomplished shooter using the little glass vials at the Cactus one year. They worked well for a couple of matches and we thought, "Voila, where can I buy some of those?" But they soon disappeared from view and the old standby Harrel's took their place.

The same thing for the bullet spinners. And the electronic wind meters. And the laser guided flag alignment. And the . . .

You would think that powder charge variations would show up on a 1000 yard target but I have plenty of anecdotal evidence that what you expect to happen doesn't always happen in real life.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Back