what makes a barrel shoot better in wind?

The bullet begins dropping and deaccelerating the instant that it clears the bore of the barrel. The reason it appears to rise is because you are pointing the barrel up. It would need some other means of propulsion in order to rise. Has somebody taken too many nips at the Eggnog.......
1139.gif
...just kiddin'.

p.s. Fred, what you said sounds correct except that there is no acceleration

Last edited by a moderator:
GG, falling bodies accelerate until they are stabilize by air resistance.
Was it Newton that prove this, not sure, think it was him.

Fred K

Corkscrewing related to this?

180px-Gyroscope_precession.gif

Ben,

I think that is precession. My Milankovitch Cyclicity is a little rusty. I think what they mean by corkscewing would be moving around an axis as opposed to a tilted axis of movement. Clear as mud, right?

Beau, Think that is true in a vacuum. In air the shape is the restrictor.
At my age I'm forgetting many things.
Fred K

Mike, yes it is precession. I don't have the training to understand it. Whether the described "bullet corkscrewing" is actually corkscrewing or not, I have no idea. If I posit that precession is what occurs, I would expect observers to describe it as corkscrewing, since the rotation must be pretty slight.

Another shot in the dark,

Ben

Last edited:
Less Math - More Mechanical Leverage . . .

The math involved in Torque-free and Torque-induced gyroscopic precssion makes my head spin.

This corkscrew is easier for me to understand. I have one like it in a kitchen drawer. I was told it is a "French" corkscrew.

Joe :)

FrenchCorkscrew.jpg

Hey I got close. Not bad for a guess. Anyway, it's constant, so you couldn't say it's small or large. I think he was indicating that the downward velocity due to gravity would be relatively small, which is generally true. Now, why does it matter?

....it matters 'cause I won't have anything to do with anything thats French.
bek073.gif
wee-wee

And I was talking about accelleration towards the target, not the ground, so I see what you mean I think, eh? Thx, GG

A bullet, out of balance at the nose end, will continue to yaw, further and further from the line of sight, as range increases; one with an inbalance, at the tail, will 'settle down' as range increases, due to the effects of air friction.
But a lousy 'crown', at the muzzle, will do the same thing; ie, shoot worse groups at 50, than 100, or further, if one is reading simply moa; a bad crown 'tips' the bullet, but a good bullet will 'settle down'.
Now, this question was asked, in original form, about rimfire rifles, ammo for which we have little control, except the 'buying decision'.
That said, the bullets are swaged, from lead wire, in precision dies, which should allow for essentially no voids, or incusions, so balance shoud be a constant, for the bullet.
Stuff it into an oversized chamber, or a chamber with a 'generous' throat, and we may well launch it, sorta sidewise, and create the imbalance, by cutting lead, in the bore, and likely,with an 'off center' bullet, range will only make it worse!
I order, inspect, and use only barrels to my dimension; my reamers are ordered to my specs, and anything outside those numbers, is sent back.
Frequently, my rifles show returns on my investment; a rewarding, gratifying, thing, what mkes it all worthwhile!
Today, most of my bigger bore, 'cast bullet' rifles, shoot nothing but bullets dropped from 'nose pour' molds, to insure that if imbalance exists, it will be 'out front', to ensure the best possible acuracy, at all ranges.
A forty caliber Sharps, one that I like a lot, wil seldom shoot less than 1 1/2 inches, at 100, but less, at 200, and by 300,we gotta swear to 1 1/2 inch groups, and predictably constant, when I do my part;a 420 gr bullet, about 1800 fps, that absolutely 'goes to sleep' before 150, and hits like a hammer; it's over an inch and a quarter long!
This is a rifle that does not know wind, only hold, but is barreled in a relatively 'fast' twist, for the caliber.
All leading up to a highly controversial term, and subject.
If for a moment, I assume a bullet to be a symmetric, balanced, monolithic cylinder, how, by rotation, can I 'Overstabilise' it?
With good bullets, this is impossible; only if there exists a bullet, or contrenciity, problem, is 'decreased' accuracy, possible.
My 'wind' barrel carries a Shilen pedigree, and a 14" twist, for a .22 LR, a bit 'fast', by conventional wisdom, yet it shoots as well, in wind, as in still air, given ammo it 'likes', the 16",and 17" barrels, maybe shoot a little tighter, in still air, but "lose it",in the wind, by comparison.
These are as close to 'identical items',in bore, choke taper, and profile, as it gets; all use the same fore end, etc, on a 44 1/2 Stevens Chassis, tuned for accuracy, and for the answer to exactly this question; wht is the optimal rifling twist, for a .22LR, match quality, cartridge?
Yet, to date, I have yet to find a better 'wind' barrel, than the 14" Shilen!
The 17" is awesome, in still conditions, but as the wind rises, it goes all to hell, for accuracy, by my standards, at the least, while the 14 loves windy weather!
A 12" twist .308 seems to support this conclusion, as it seems to shoot as well in wind as , or better than, the normal 14" twist barrels.
hope this helps.

wind

if this keeps up i'm going to have to go back
to college for a physics degree, ah heck i'm
just gonna go have fun and practice.

if this keeps up i'm going to have to go back
to college for a physics degree, ah heck i'm
just gonna go have fun and practice.

Yep, most college professors only inhibit true learning. I'm heading to the range for some trigger time too.

Mark

stash247
Very interesting post. How about letting us know who you are.
Fred K

Back