What I've been up to lately.....

Al Nyhus

"It'll never work!"
Haven't been on any of the BR forums for a while and have been busy with a new project. I know there are a buch of 'car guys' on BRC, so hopefully this isn't totally out of line.

Before getting into competitive shooting, some of you may know that I was a die hard NHRA drag racer for many years. I've decided to get back into racing and have put together a '68 Nova 327-275 hp combo for NHRA Stock Eliminator. The car was a good, basic turn-key car when I got it last October from a couple of racers out of the Kansas City area. Over the Winter, the car came apart and was completely redone...wiring, plumbing, front and rear suspension, etc, etc.

Picking the car up in Omaha:

Replumbed the fuel system:

Rewired ignition system:

Added some lightweight Aerospace Engineering brakes:

In Stock Eliminator, the rules require that you run the stock compression ratio, carb, intake manifold and the stock lift on the camshaft. Here's the motor back in the car:

Finished product:

I couldn't have done this without the help of my good pal, Steve Koppien. Steve and I have been pals since high school and he's one of the best racers around with these types of cars.

Good shootin' to all my BR pals! -Al

Last edited:
Slick ride Al. My friend and I have been drag racing this '72 since 2003. It's a lot of fun and like BR the bracket game forced us to consider ever angle. Enjoy and please let us know how it progresses:

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I never could understand why people didn't like the Quadrajet carb. They work great, and you can tune them, unlike just a change of jets and power valve on that other carb......

Q-Jets are great carbs. They have small bowls but all you need is a pump that'll keep them full for a few seconds of WOT. I guess the other limiting factor are aftermarket aluminum manifolds, or lack there of. All that said, being an air value carburetor they're a pleasure to tune.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

To be truly happy, boys must forever have a steady supply of exciting toys! :D

Good for you Lee. But don't forget about us benchrest guys. Your input here on the forum is greatly appreciated.

Gene Beggs

Thanks for the kind words Gene. Drag racing is a diversion for me, firearms are an absolute passion. Benchrest has really grabbed me and I look forward to many years of precision shooting (and more importantly, many years of learning....and heaven knows I have a lot to learn).

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Al
I'm not sure what all that (terminology, pictures, etc) mean, but am happy that you excited about it. Enjoy the renewed fire. Still, hope to see you around the benches sometime. "The rug really tied the room together" You're like that rug Al. :cool:

Stanley

Last edited:
So thats the reason

Dear Uthink Uknow, You bring up an interesting point. I don't personally know Al but that does not prevent me from noticing the effect of his absence. There is a pervasive sense of happiness in the air. People everywhere have a ready smile on their face and are high stepping it through life. As soon as his absence was felt there was a loud sigh of relief similar to the one the Romanians gave when Vlad the Impaler died. Now I see that he is back. Will this shatter mankind's new dream? I fear for us. Tim

Dear Uthink Uknow, You bring up an interesting point. I don't personally know Al but that does not prevent me from noticing the effect of his absence. There is a pervasive sense of happiness in the air. People everywhere have a ready smile on their face and are high stepping it through life. As soon as his absence was felt there was a loud sigh of relief similar to the one the Romanians gave when Vlad the Impaler died. Now I see that he is back. Will this shatter mankind's new dream? I fear for us. Tim
Grumpy here. Good point Tim.

Another Tim.

Wow Guys. That brings back some memories. My Dad's '72 Nova never looked like that. Paint blew off the hood the first time on the freeway.
Then my sister got a hold of it.

Warning: Hang on the your key board guys.
She threw a rod. I got the call to go pick the sister up and her friends. Gawd that was an awful sight. :(

Thanks for the pictures.

Sweet Al!!!!!!!

The Quadrajet brings back memories of my first car.....a '68 GTO. I re-jetted that carb sooooooo many times.........sigh!!

Kevin

Some things require doing when one can

I think all too many people put of doing things they really enjoy until it's too late. Speaking for myself, I use to love flying . I put it off for the past 34 years and now I am not comfortable picking it up again. I know my hand/eye things don't work very well so I won't do it. There are other things as well that I feel like I am now too old to do. I think knowing one's self is very important. My Bucket List begins to get emptied next year in earnest. Less shooting and more going will be the course.

I am pleased for you Al. You certainly seem to know yourself pretty well.

Pete

I'm a former drag racer so I appreciate your photos. I completely enjoyed my time drag racing and got to hang out with some great folks. Fierce competitors on the track but they would give you the shirt off their back if you were in need. Much like the BR shooters I hang out with.

Wow, nice ride Al. You'll have a good time with that. My first new car was a 68 Nova 325hp/327. Had it a year before I flipped it.:eek:

Later
Dave

But it's not electric or even a hybrid! What will all the greenies say?

Oh, just had a little mental lapse there, nice looking rig, and I hope it goes as well as it looks!

Back