What a group!!

One can easily

wear a dang barrel out trying to shoot a smaller group, heck, we Benchrest folks do it repeatedly and we have BIG THICK BARRELS! Huntin rifles are a different matter. They need a different standard. For instance, My .280 Rem 700 Mountain Rifle is a very accurate Huntin rifle for 3 three shots. It's barrel is the size of a fountain pen or smaller than the expensive ones. I can depend in placing the first shot into an inch without question; probably 2 and perhaps three shots. Beyond that, one can't touch the barrel without burning their finners. See my point here? it isn't about "Mine being bigger than yours"

Savor The Day

I envy your shooting expierece, the time spent with family and friends, and the price you paid for the rifle and ammo, I feel that some of the post were a little negative sounding and after a great deal of thought about your post, In my opinion I have come to the conclusion that there must be a great deal of GROUP SIZE DIVIDED BY COST OF RIFLE AND AMMO MULTIPLIED BY TIME SPENT PERFECTING GREAT GROUPS envy. In horse racing one winner seven losers ratio of people who like winners are out numbered seven to one,You are truly someone to envy. Great Day Shooting, and hope you get many more.

Didn't know I was going to stir up some guys. Seems that some just miss the point, and no it's not about having a great day with my grandson. That was a bonus. I read a lot of the gun mags, and a .4 group from any hunting rifle, not varmint, would be cover news. Most of the rifles that are tested each month get groups that are double that, and often more. Some are 3 shot, and some 5 shot groups. So Messers Bill, .25, Vic and other rainmakers, I'm not trying to meet what you folks consider worth discussing. I still think that compared with what I see in the gun mags, .4 is pretty darn good. However, given the controversy, I guess I'll have to go back to the range on a nice day, and try again. You will get the results whatever they may be.
Bob

Who cares....you had a great time with family....priceless. Will the rifle be able to do it again....who knows.

I remember sighting in a hunting rifle one day. A couple of friends came by. One had a Norinco SKS (89.00 new) and the other a Sako varmit 222rem. Well, they dedided to have a shooting contest. So at about 200yds, we put out a couple of coke cans. Well, the sks got a little lucky and hit the can the very first time....dead center. The friend with the sako missed. Well....as the stories go....the friend with the SKS proclaimed it was far better than the SAKO and didn't know why anyone would buy one or need a scope.

A few weeks later at a bullseye match (two sighters, one shot at center) an old guy with a M1 Garand and open sights got lucky and drilled the most perfectly centered hole I had ever seen. He proclaimed that no one needed them fancy varmit guns...etc...etc... Got in his truck and left. I couldn't keep from laughing. Anyway, a couple of weeks later, he came to the same match again to clean up on the fancy guns and young fellers again. But this time he couldn't even hit the 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper in sever shots. Never seen him again. But I'm sure the only story his friends ever heard was the winning one.

Hovis

Well, I went back to the range Monday although I probably should have waited a day or 2 for the wind to die down. It was a pretty steady 20mph with gusts to 40. But, we've got to take our days when we can. I bought some Rem. 150gr at the Wal Mart for about $18 to compare it to the cheap Bulgarian milsurp ammo. So, I set up and fired some preliminary shots and got down to business. I expected the Rem. to shoot better. NOT!!Shot a 3 shot group with the Bulgarian, and got a very respectable hunting rifle group of .894. I then shot the commercial Rem., and got a 1.49. I know it was windy. Anyhow, I tried the Rem again and got a similar result. My next step in this saga will be to pull a bullet from the Bulgarian ammo, and weigh and measure it. I'll eyeball the powder too to see what type it is and weigh it, and start to develop some loads based on the Bulgarian stuff. I know this isn't real benchrest stuff, but it's fun.
Bob
BTW, I still think the Ruger is a great shooting hunting rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I look for

Where that first shot out of a cold clean barrel will impact. After all, this is a hunting rifle, and that first shot. many times is the only one you get.

If three shots are not "conclusive," then I don't see how three shots can "prove" a rifle is signted in.
But there are probably only a few reasons (other than "because I can") to shoot a five-groups-of-five-shots agg. with a hunting rifle. I can't now think of one that would move me to try. It's almost an axes vs. scalpels thing.
I suppose I'd be inclined to save that old Bulgarian stuff for what I deemed to be appropriate occasions. And I'd be wishing the bullet was suitable for hunting.

Fred, I think you've got it. My sentiments exactly. The cool thing about this is that the rifle holds its zero each time to the range despite the banging around it gets in my trunk. Also, since it's a hunting rifle, all of the shots would have been a dead deer. Dog, that's why I'm going to replicate the Bulgarian load. Lord only knows what the components are, but I'll try to match it as closely as I can.
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Good LORDY, Bob Hardy, now don't........

CLEAN THAT BARREL!!!! Its all "aged" now, don' be introducing any variables like cleaning or it'll NEVER shoot that good again!!!! :D:D

I purchased a box of 55 gr. Herter's bullets for my 22-250 at a gun show.

I planned to use them as "fouling shots" before shooting my record strings.

The first five shots with these bullets were in 3/4 inch at 100 yds. This is not much inferior to the best this rifle can do. I think the best the gun ever did was 3/8 inch.

These bullets were so old, the exposed lead points were green with oxide.

These unexpected things happen. My rifle apparently just "liked" these bullets. For whatever reason.

Incidentally, even when Herter's was still open and doing business, their components would have been considered "economy" and "el-cheapo."

I purchased a box of 55 gr. Herter's bullets for my 22-250 at a gun show.

I planned to use them as "fouling shots" before shooting my record strings.

The first five shots with these bullets were in 3/4 inch at 100 yds. This is not much inferior to the best this rifle can do. I think the best the gun ever did was 3/8 inch.

These bullets were so old, the exposed lead points were green with oxide.

These unexpected things happen. My rifle apparently just "liked" these bullets. For whatever reason.

Incidentally, even when Herter's was still open and doing business, their components would have been considered "economy" and "el-cheapo."

I have a box or two of the Herters wasp waist bullets on hand. I keep them just for the comic relief they provide.:D

I do miss the catalog however, as nothing made for more or better bathroom time reading.

Good job, Bob.
YOU were shooting well. Very well.
Some of my guns will shoot that well...
but most days...I can't :eek:

In 1973 they must have used different triggers than in 1999 when I bought a 77. Id bet the trigger was not lawyered in 73. Mine would not shoot anything like that.

Back