Western States Airgun Regional Match - March 17th & 18th Registration & Match Info

22Jim

Western States Airgun Regional Match - March 17th & 18th Registration Updated

February 16th Update: The guest cabins being held for match attendees at the 49r RV Village in Plymouth will only be held until February 25th. If you need accommodations please reserve your cabin before then to insure that you will have a room.. If you plan on attending please get your registration in to me as soon as you can. Food and prizes must be ordered and I need to get an idea of who will be coming. If you cannot make the match and have to cancel, notify me by the 14th of March to will receive a full refund of your match fees.

This should be a really fun weekend and your match fee's include the use of the public rifle and pistol ranges so you can be shooting when not participating in a match. Don't miss this opportunity to shoot against some of the best Airgun Benchrest shooters in the West. We will also be putting a team of LV participants together to compete in the Postal Match with the UK and anyone shooting LV class can submit their score as an individual to be included in the Postal Match. Come on out an have some fun.

Click Here for Western States BR Match Registration and Information

Ione_BR3.jpg

Lots of classes means lots of shooting and lots of fun, it should be a great weekend of Air Rifle Competition

Saturday March 17th World Air Rifle Benchrest Match – 3 Classes
Light Varmint Class:
Caliber- .177, .20, and .22
Power - Maximum 12FPE
Weight – Less than 10.5 lbs including scope and accessories
Distance – 25 meters
International scoring rules will apply

Heavy Varmint Class:
Power – maximum 20 FPE
Weight – Less than 15 lbs including scope and accessories
Distance – 25 meters

USA Open Class:
Calbers - .177, .20 and .22 calibers are allowed.
Power - Maximum of 35 FPE.
Weight = Maximum of 20 pounds.
Distance - 25 meters

Sunday March 18th – Open Competition Matches

Sporter/Hunter Class
Rifles: Hunter/Sporter Style Rifles not designed for Field Target or Benchrest competition
Power – maximum 33 FPE
Weight – Less than 12 lbs including scope and accessories
Distance – 25 meters
Rests – Soft bags only front and rear, no adjustable rests

Unlimited 50 Yard – King of the Hill Match
Rifles: Any, run what you brung!
Power – Any
Weight – Any
Distance – 50 Yards
No Holds barred!

Last edited:
Hi All If one makes the long trip can they shoot all or at least 2 classes on Sat . ?? I wood love to come but do not know yet . Thanks Rick

So, In the Sporter class, what determines which rifles are designed for Field Target or Benchrest? It would be a shame for a lad to travel a few hours only to be turned away.

Hi All If one makes the long trip can they shoot all or at least 2 classes on Sat . ?? I wood love to come but do not know yet . Thanks Rick

The relays will be multiclass on Saturday so you can shoot all three classes. The intent is to allow you the opportunity to shoot all classes on both days if you desire.

Jim in Sacramento

So, In the Sporter class, what determines which rifles are designed for Field Target or Benchrest? It would be a shame for a lad to travel a few hours only to be turned away.

If you're not sure about your rifle, it probably won't qualify for the hunter class ;) The hope for this class is to create a match to give people, who are primarily hunters and plinkers and not competitive shooters, a chance to compete against equipment that looks like their own. The unlimited match on Sunday is all about equipment, no holds barred shoot what you have. Same with Saturday's matches pretty much open except for power and weight requirements.

If you are unsure about whether your rifle will qualify for the hunter/sporter class, send me a few pictures and I will make a determination.

Jim in Sacramento

So far, I don't think there have ever been any air rifles specifically DESIGNED for benchrest.

So far, I don't think there have ever been any air rifles specifically DESIGNED for benchrest.

This was the basis for my question. I realize it's still early in the Sport but more thought needs to go into which rifles fit into which classes, IMHO and spelled out.

Last edited:
Pete,

This is why United States Air Rifle Benchrest has attempted to do just that. The USA Production class is our version of what Jim is describing as a sporter.

On the other hand, the Air Arms EV2 gun WAS specifically designed for Field Target and thus would NOT qualify for Sporter class. I believe there are/were Also specific models from Steyr, Anschutz, and Daystates that were designed for Field Target competition, and its not so hard to look them up Essentialy, Sporter type guns normally lack these several features that the average purpose-built FT models have:

A. Trigger blades (normally straight) that can be easily repositioned fore and aft or side to side, and that have owner-adjustable pull weights down well below five-six ounces.
B. Stocks with adjustable pull length and comb height. May have adjustable butthook
C. A built-in Accessory rail in the forend, esp with an height adjustable forend feature. Sporter forends normally angles down toward trigger end, and slightly rounded.
D. .177 caliber, unable to exceed 12fpe in Euro form, or 20fpe in USA level power.
E. Weight sans scope between 9 and 12 pounds.
F. Designed for single shot use.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the other hand, the Air Arms EV2 gun WAS specifically designed for Field Target and thus would NOT qualify for Sporter class. I believe there are/were Also specific models from Steyr, Anschutz, and Daystates that were designed for Field Target competition, and its not so hard to look them up Essentialy, Sporter type guns normally lack these several features that the average purpose-built FT models have:

A. Trigger blades (normally straight) that can be easily repositioned fore and aft or side to side, and that have owner-adjustable pull weights down well below five-six ounces.
B. Stocks with adjustable pull length and comb height. May have adjustable butthook
C. A built-in Accessory rail in the forend, esp with an height adjustable forend feature. Forend normally angles down toward trigger end, and slightly rounded.
D. .177 caliber, unable to exceed 12fpe in Euro form, or 20fpe in USA level power.
E. Weight sans scope between 9 and 12 pounds.
F. Designed for singleshot use.

I can see the complexity involved here. I see what you all are trying to do. It will all work out, I'm sure.

I'm a very experienced field Target shooter, so what I was trying to do was give my personal feedback with respect to the caveat that match has in place regarding purpose-built FT guns. I don't particularly agree with the wording, since I DO feel some purpose-built FT rifles serve very well as fine Sporter type guns, esp in regards to hunting and general outdoor shooting. BUT, I think the MD feels he wants to keep totally "match type" guns separated from the more over-the counter type sporter/hunter types, and I can agree with that.

Anyhow, most purpose-built FT rifles can fit into the LV and HV classes ok, so its not like guys with ONLY that sort will be turned away. Conversely, it was aptly observed that many of the powerful hunter/sporter type guns could NOT fit into the LV/HV classes due to the power limits, so it was a smart move to add the Sporter class to allow this fairly large segment (at least out West) of guys with powerful .22 repeaters as their main squeeze.

First, a warm welcome to Jim. Sounds like this will be a great match at a beautiful facility.

Match Directors should have the discretion of providing a class that fits the needs of the local shooters. The USA Open and Unlimited classes can accommodate any of the higher power air rifles that are available. Restricting the use of a mechanical front rest might prove to be another entry point, we will be watching with interest.

Front rest Hunter/sporter class

We have found that many of the new airgun shooters showing up with Maruader, Pnuma and others have invested in some sort of a cheap front rest. As many air gun plinkers do. They shoot for group for pesonal satisfaction and have never really been a competitor. We have decided not to require a additional purchase and a step backward to play with us. Our rules take in to consideration that what the front of the rifle sits on has no advantage at all. We smply say if you have an ajustable front rest you can use it but you many not use any adjustments while shooting.

Bob

Bob,

Regarding the Western Regional ... any way you could make it out to Sacramento for this event? I'd like to see you shoot, and think you would enjoy it.

I would really like to make it. Never been to Sacramento. Looks like a great range. Prolly not in budget. Toooo many airguns.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I don't know where you are located, but if you can make it to Sacramento, bring all those air rifles along because we have the perfect venue for you to shoot them all. Spend a couple of days competing and shooting in wonderful environment.

Jim in Sacramento

Hey Jim,

It looks like a good number from the Grants Pass Wild River Club are coming... and JD and team USA from Washington state.. I might get Mark, Bob and Allan to join me from AARR here in Ashland...What do you hear from the Calif. shooters?

Wacky Wayne

...What do you hear from the Calif. shooters?

Wacky Wayne

Hi Wayne,

It looks like we will have a good showing from California as well. Several of the local Field Target shooters will be attending, as well as few of the local centerfire benchrest shooters who are going to give air rifle benchrest a try. In addition some of the Southern CA BR shooters are planning on making the trip. We should have a fun, well attended and competetive match.

I have made one change to the match schedule, the Open Class match on Saturday will be a 50 yard match rather than 25m. This will give us 25m and 50 yd matches on both Saturday and Sunday.

Jim in Sacramento

Last Call For Western States Match participants

We are a little more than a week away from the Western States Regional Airgun Benchrest Match being held at the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center near Ione, CA. Follow the link in the first post in this thread for match information and registration forms.

The Saturday Match on March 17th is a USA Air Rifle Benchrest Association sanctioned event shooting Light Varmint (12fpe) , Heavy Varmint (20fpe) and Open Class (35 fpe). If you are shooting the Light Varmint Match you can also have your score included as an individual in the USA vs. United Kingdom Postal Match taking place this month. JD Dodge is leading a team of shooters from Washington State that is entered in the team competition for the postal match. Don't worry about all the match details, if you have an air rifle .22 caliber or less shooting 35fpe or less you can participate in at least one of the matches.

Sunday's matches are for bragging rights. The Sporter/Hunter Class match is for all the air gunners who hunt, plink and punch paper with their air guns. No competition rifles or fancy rests allowed, light hunting rifles off soft bags is the order of the day. The Unlimited Class match on Sunday is just that unlimited (other than a.22 caliber maximum bullet size). 50 shots at 50 yards, which rifle and which shooter will prevail? Be there to find out.

It looks like several of the shooters and rifles that competed at the World Championships in North Carolina last summer will be attending. Come on out and meet and shoot with some of the best in the sport and have a look at some of the most accurate air rifles available today. It should be a fun and competitive weekend, dont miss it.

Jim in Sacramento

Back