Weighing Bullets

B.Larson

Anyone weighing BR.bullets......????..... is it worth the time it takes...??
thank you in advance
bill

No, but one night I was bored and weighed 50 of Bart's 68 grain Ultras for the hell of it. They ranged from 67.94 - 68.02. Kinda proved why I don't bother to weigh bullets for short-range BR.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Speaking from a 100/200 yard distance, I don't think you need to weigh bullets. They either shoot well or they don't. If they don't just shoot something else.

Last edited:
Years ago I found a Sierra that was a Grain and a half heavy marked it and during my sighter's at 1000 yards I was in the ten ring I shot the heavy one and it stayed in the middle. Ever since I do not weigh them.

Joe Salt

joe,
i did a quick 300 win mag 210 bullet......
0.2" diff at 900 yards

Years ago I found a Sierra that was a Grain and a half heavy marked it and during my sighter's at 1000 yards I was in the ten ring I shot the heavy one and it stayed in the middle. Ever since I do not weigh them.

Joe Salt

joe,
i did a quick 300 win mag 210 bullet......
0.2" diff at 900 yards

I weight sorted my Berger VLD 80gr bullets for the first time in preparation for a 600 yard F/TR match Saturday. I was surprised at how much variation in weight there was with these so-called "premium" bullets.

Did it help? Well, I won the match, something I had not done in the past, so it's hard to say it didn't help but most likely it doesn't prove anything either.

All I know is I now have new "lucky" underwear which I won't change until next months' match and I'll most likely weigh my competition bullets again. I'm not looking forward to either of these changes to my normal routine.

Joe Salt

Sometimes it shows. Matt

Since you are talking Sierra I am sure it was a 240. A grain on a 240 isn't as bad as a grain on a 105. But the thing is if it's a grain heavier, it could be something else that's off. Like diameter or shape of nose. These will effect it at 1000 by changing velocity or BC. The Sierra 240 was a great bullet for 1000 yard BR but really varied from lot to lot and diameters were critical, probably because of the long bearing surface. Today the way competition is at 1000 yards the more you do the better. I can guarantee somebody else is doing it. Matt

weighing Bullets

Its not a bad idea factory bullets are made on automated machinery Custom bullets can also be off a tad but usually are pretty much on weight.

No Matt they were 220! and you will never convince me that even two grains difference with 50 or 60 thousand pounds pressure behind it. Have Vinny make you two bullets that are two grains difference in weight or heavier and you will see.

joe Salt

Here's something I don't understand. Once upon a time, I weighed about 50 Sierra 22 bullets of the 52 grain variety. I also weighed about 50 custom bullets of similar weight. All the Sierra bullets weighed 52 grains exactly (I don't know how they did that) and the custom bullets varied a bit. Thing is, the custom bullets shot a ton better than the Sierra bullets. I don't know why that happened as it did unless my rifle didn't like something about those Sierra bullets.

That said, I agree with Joe about the bullet weight being a bit different. Too much other stuff that has greater control to worry about a grain or two here and there. Certainly, I'm not arguing with those that require exact bullet weight. I've seen days where that might have been of some importance.

Bullet weights

About 2 minutes ago, I took 6 different bullet makers bullets and grabbed 10 of each and put them on my scale. I used a Sartorius GD503 scale. I am only going to list the heaviest and lightest of each of the 10. Bibs 118 7 ogive. 118.585-118.325. Difference .260. Euber 116's 116.530-116.445. Difference .085. EPS 118 10 ogive, 118.385-118.255. Difference .130. 10X 120's, 120.160-120.080. Difference .080. Bart's 112 wipe-outs 111.935-112.210. Difference .275 Conley 116's 116.230-116.120. Difference .110. As you can see each of these bullet makers, make some pretty amazing bullets as far as weights go. I salute each and every one of you!

The consistency of the jackets and cores are what make a match bullet great. Weigh some factory bullets in the same manner and tell us how those weigh in

The consistency of the jackets and cores are what make a match bullet great. Weigh some factory bullets in the same manner and tell us how those weigh in
Dusty. I just weighted 4 other bullet makers bullets. All are factory so here goes. Speer 30 cal 125 grain TNT'S, High 125.130 Low 124.760, DIFFERENCE .370. Sierra Pro-Hunter 30 cal, 125 gr. HIGH 125.410, LOW 125.010, DIFFERENCE .400. Berger 6mm 88gr High BC FB Varmint. HIGH 88.140, LOW 88.070, DIFFERENCE .070. Swift A-Frame 7mm 160 gr. HIGH 161.170, LOW 160.690, DIFFERENCE .480. Berger 6mm 95gr VDL Hunting, HIGH 95.255, LOW 95.130, DIFFERENCE .125. I was impressed with the Berger 88's as they beat all the 30 caliber match bullets that I scaled out this morning.

I have spent some time weighing 7mm. 180`s...... On an A&D FX-120 scale with a voltage conditioner...........the lots I worked with...Bergers will vary 179.82-180.06....Sierras 179.65-180.75...... same weight bullets....but 2" trajectory difference at 1000 yds....... I would say most who shoot long range weigh to make sure they don`t have a bad bullet......
bill

I have spent some time weighing 7mm. 180`s...... On an A&D FX-120 scale with a voltage conditioner...........the lots I worked with...Bergers will vary 179.82-180.06....Sierras 179.65-180.75...... same weight bullets....but 2" trajectory difference at 1000 yds....... I would say most who shoot long range weigh to make sure they don`t have a bad bullet......
bill
I'll agree that the long range guy's will benefit from weighting bullets and weighting powder charges, and the guy's that shoot short range stuff like me are better off not wasting time weighting bullets & powder charges. Seems to me that the guy's that throw their powder charges do just as well if not better than weighting them. Perfect example Dean & Hillary. She does all the loading. Dean just sits back with that cigar sticking out of his mouth and doesn't have a care in the world. Got to ask that boy where he found a woman like that, and how he trained her so well. LMFAO!

Last edited:
based on the math there is NOT 2" diff. so this must be the shooter or some other change for the 2" diff.
so a 2" variation in the sie or 2" diff group point of impact ?

if you look at the math on the original weight change the variation was only 0.2

bill

based on the math there is NOT 2" diff. so this must be the shooter or some other change for the 2" diff.
so a 2" variation in the sie or 2" diff group point of impact ?

if you look at the math on the original weight change the variation was only 0.2

CMAIER.......... the math don`t always agree with what the target tells you...... there is a lot more that enters into the truth..... than arithmetic....... you keep figuring.... I`ll read the target...........
bill larson

Back