Wear and Tear With Switch Barrel Rifle

KEITH MYERS

Does changing barrels on a switch barrel cause thread wear? I would like to hear if anyone has tested this theory with documented results.

With stainless barrels and an stainless insert in my Viper action, I have never done a dry assembly, and since there has always been some sort of anti-seize between the action and barrel threads and shoulders, and the barrels do not rotate or slide in use. I think that you are looking for problems where there are none.

I was flip flopping barrels. On a Grizzly 2 action. 2-3 yrs. 6PPC new. 6PPC old. And a 30 Gorilla last year. Have not seen a problem. Always cleaned the threads and applied anti-seize. Set a range record last year. With the old barrel +3000 rounds.
Opps. That was 2 years ago.....
This was a used Action. Guy before me did the same....

Does changing barrels on a switch barrel cause thread wear? I would like to hear if anyone has tested this theory with documented results.
First, There is no way for there not to be "some wear" that comes from repeated screwing off and on of barrels. If you do the proper lubing and are not cross-threading or bumping and deforming the threads, male or female, then the wear would be almost undetectable, except under lab conditions.

If you want a practical example of what I am talking about, call up Jack Neary. That man has more barrels and screwws more barrels on and off than anyone I know other than Tony Boyer. I think you are chasing a ghost with this one.

David

While we are on the topic what do you guys prefer/recommend to use for lube or anti-seize on the threads? Is regular old silicone anti-seize good enough?

My BAT is at least 16 years old and it has had many barrels put on it. It has been my only rifle for competition for the last several years. It has been a 6 PPC, a .22 PPC -short, a 6XC, and a Dasher. It shoots as well today as it ever has. I use the late Dave Dohrman's thread lube and can detect no wear. If one is careful to apply anti-seize each time a barrel is changed, he should have no problems. Good shooting....James

If it was, it would cause galling and make it virtually impossible to remove a barrel. Think about the literal definition of the name.

David,
What are the rough particles in antisieze? It may be fine, but I don't like the feel. I use synthetic bicycle wheel bearing grease.

I won't use anti seize on barreled actions. I believe in grease. Davey Dohrrrmannn's concoction (Tru-Kote) is what I use.

al

I won't use anti seize on barreled actions. I believe in grease. Davey Dohrrrmannn's concoction (Tru-Kote) is what I use.

al

I agree, Anti Sieze tends to dry out over time. I tried it on bolt lugs once and it dried out in very short order and it's messy. Good Synthetic grease. I bought a tube of the Lucas red stuff and use it on many things now.

As stated I use Dave Dohrman's white grease. I used the term anti-sieze with a small "a" as a generic term. Anti- sieze compounds have particles of copper or aluminum suspended in grease and do a good job preventing galling. I have used the aluminum and the copper based compounds in the past with no problems. Good shooting...James

I have a 1997 vintage Farley RB-LP that has always been my best shooting action. As Charles Huckabe would say, it was "born good". I lost count years ago as to how many barrels I have screwed on and off of that action, (maybe 50, maybe more), and I have not altered my threading dimensions any over the years.

So my answer would be if you use the correct procedures for barrel installation and removal, no..........jackie

I also like the red Lucas grease for barrel threads and bolt lube.The label says it has anti-seize properties.

It never ceases to amaze me how everybody has a opinion on things such as Anti Seize Compounds. Rather than relying on conjecture or hearsay, why not just use what the manufacturers say to use.
If you look at the requirements of a barrel to action installation, you would think that the people who came up with the typical Molybdenum Disulfide Anti Seize Compound invented it with this purpose in mind. But all of us, with our infinite wisdom, will use anything BUT the proper product for the job.
It's sort of like the old, 'after you have tried everything else, read the instructions'.........jackie

Back