We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

The shop

Very nice! I'm sure you will have many enjoyable hours doing your own work in your own place. Enjoy!

Mort

The new double adjustable front shocks have really calmed the car down. The extension is smoother and more gradual. The compression (landing) is smooth with minimal secondary 'up' motion. Two weekends ago, we were in Brainerd. Mn. for a two day race. It was hotter than Dutch love up there (local humor ;) ) so it's hard to say if we picked anything up or not Qualified #9 on Saturday and #10 on Sunday. Went 11.06 of the 12.00 NHRA G/SA index. Weather was 90 degrees, baro was 28.5, water grains were 115 and the DA hovered around 4,100 ft. Will likely have a better idea after this weekend.

This was from Oahe (Pierre, S.D.) earlier this season. It's an altitude adjusted track...the G/SA index is 12.15 there. Went a best of 11.155

O4vQ0Hjl.jpg

Nice lathe choice Jackie and it appears to be well taken care of based on all of the pictures on their web site.

Season of changes

Well, the Fairmont is up for sale. Sorry to see it go but I decided to step up my game some. Runs pretty good for 281 cubic inches. m6.jpeg

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 198
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 203
2020-08-16_104154.jpg

My buddy Bob winning class at the Nationals. His Pontiac runs KS/A.

Look at the stands....What they view as a slow car gets no respect.

Mort

Last edited:
Cobra Jet blues....

This is off my pal's Cobra Jet I've posted some pics of in this thread. Coming out of the water at Topeka, the engine tone changed and he clicked it off right away. The bolt is from the inter cooler that mounts between the supercharger and the heads. It jammed between the intake valve and the seat...which wedged the intake rocker arm off...which wedged between the cam gear sprocket...which broke the intake cam timing chain.

vZ6EAdYl.jpg

this is off my pal's cobra jet i've posted some pics of in this thread. Coming out of the water at topeka, the engine tone changed and he clicked it off right away. The bolt is from the inter cooler that mounts between the supercharger and the heads. It jammed between the intake valve and the seat...which wedged the intake rocker arm off...which wedged between the cam gear sprocket...which broke the intake cam timing chain.

vz6eadyl.jpg

yikes!!!

This is off my pal's Cobra Jet I've posted some pics of in this thread. Coming out of the water at Topeka, the engine tone changed and he clicked it off right away. The bolt is from the inter cooler that mounts between the supercharger and the heads. It jammed between the intake valve and the seat...which wedged the intake rocker arm off...which wedged between the cam gear sprocket...which broke the intake cam timing chain.

vZ6EAdYl.jpg

I guess the guy assembling that inter cooler was asking......”has anybody seen my LocTite”.

Man, that sucks.

I guess the guy assembling that inter cooler was asking......”has anybody seen my LocTite”. Man, that sucks.

Yeah....basic Engine Assembly 101. Plus, it's a known problem area on these supercharged Coyote engines. :mad:

And three others were only finger tight. The Allen headed screws had no washers under them to distribute the load...they just gouged into the aluminum mounting flange on the inter cooler.

They'll be safety wired going forward. -Al

If you have any interest in the 50s-60s-and 70s hot rods- go to the American Hot Rod Foundation website. They have a tremendous amount of photos, interviews, and feature stories.

Finally!!!!!!

At Tri State Dragway in Earlville, Iowa this weekend, we achieved a significant goal with the car.

It was actually a 'double-up' on two goals. With the NHRA National Index for G/SA being 12.00, any run in the 10's would both get it into the '1 Second Under' club while at the same time breaking into the 10's.

The weather was pretty decent but the DA was rising quickly before the first pass. The car left smoothly, carried the front end out quite a ways, and really ran hard to 1/8th. In high gear, I knew it was on a good one when the tach was at 7,400 about 50 feet before the finish line.

The time slip read 10.955 @ 119.53. :)

The next run was a 10.947 followed by a 10.964 and a 10.969 before I went out in the second round (126 cars).

Back