We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

Wow, a 265!

That brings back memories. The very first Hot Rod engine my oldest brother built back in the late '50's was a 265 pulled out of a wrecked 55 sedan. He put it in a 48 Chevy Fleetline.

Jahns Pistons, 30/30 cam, pinned rocker studs, AFB, lots of compression and.........no oil filter.

He had put a I-Beam front axel under it, it had a four speed going into a Cadillac Rear End with 5.14 gears.

Those were the days.

Wasn't that a WCFB?

Jackie
I could be wrong but I think your brothers rear end is from a Caddy hearse.

One of the guys at the shipyard raced an early 50 something Pontiac and couldn't find any after market gears for it. He scored some low gears at a wrecking yard out of an early Pontiac hearse.

Just a thought.

Pin the rocker studs? You bet! Pulling one out at high rpm could get pretty expensive !

Mort

Last edited:
Wasn't that a WCFB?

Butch, the carb came off of a 1957 Pontiac 347 that was being parted out at Pearson’s Junk Yard. I’m pretty sure it was a AFB.

I remember he almost bought that Hydramatic Transmission, (remember that beast), but Pearson had several manual four speeds that would bolt right up. Back then Morgan Clutches were the hot ticket.

The second engine he built, which I helped with, was a bored out 283 out of a ‘57 4-door. He used the same 30-30 cam, but scored a set of “power pack” heads that Tommy Thacker had ported. He had a duel carb manifold with two WCFB’s on top. Tommy, who had a distributor machine, set up a cast iron body duel point for it.

This was back when we called a 1/8 bored 283 a “301”. By then he had stripped the old ‘48 Fleetline down to nothing, added some traction bars, and Atlas Bucrons on the rear. We made a set of 8 inch rims by chucking up 4 rims and parting out the halves so you had 4 long sides. Weld them together and bingo, 8 inch rims.

That 301 was a real screamer. We learned all about valve float. Isky springs, (I think), cured that.

Those were the days of real hot rodding. 13 to 1 compression, Gulf Crest gasoline. Junk yards were a treasure trove for parts that you visited for the fun of it.

His next engine was going to be a 409. But he got drafted.

Last edited:
I saved my money, and it took quite a while and bought some Bucrons for my 50 Chev long coupe. It had a 302 Jimmy 6cyl. Couldn't keep a tranny in it. This was in the 1959-1962 era. Bucrons didn't last a couple months and then I had to buy crappy used tires from the junkyard or used tire shop. The car had a small block and late model "1955" open drive shaft. I bought it without eng. or trans. The engine came out of my ugly 1950 2dr fast back. The floorshift was a Fenton I believe. Changed to an 8volt battery and tweeked the voltage regulator to charge it. Went through a lot of light bulbs and so forth before finding out about voltage reducers.
Oh yeah, I had bucket seats before my buddies. It had 2 delivery van front seats. Felt like sitting on wood bleachers, but was way cool.

My 40

2019-08-19_175009.jpg

I really liked the shape of the Ford coupes but the Standard model was my favorite. Instead of the blister, the Standard hood flowed right into the fender line.

Another thing about the Standard as opposed to the Deluxe...they only came with one tail light. The correct tail light for the 40 is two inverted chevrons and I think they look fine. The 39 teardrop tail light were favored by rodders and they appear on many of the earlier Ford hotrods.

Mine are blue dot taillights and aren't legal in some states but I never heard of anyone being pulled over for having them.

They were an aftermarket thing you could find at an auto accessory store: along with dual spotlights, chrome exhaust tips, moon hub caps and a shrunken head to hang on your rearview mirrow.

Were we cool or what!

Mort

Last edited:
Butyl Tires

I saved my money, and it took quite a while and bought some Bucrons for my 50 Chev long coupe. It had a 302 Jimmy 6cyl. Couldn't keep a tranny in it. This was in the 1959-1962 era. Bucrons didn't last a couple months and then I had to buy crappy used tires from the junkyard or used tire shop. The car had a small block and late model "1955" open drive shaft. I bought it without eng. or trans. The engine came out of my ugly 1950 2dr fast back. The floorshift was a Fenton I believe. Changed to an 8volt battery and tweeked the voltage regulator to charge it. Went through a lot of light bulbs and so forth before finding out about voltage reducers.
Oh yeah, I had bucket seats before my buddies. It had 2 delivery van front seats. Felt like sitting on wood bleachers, but was way cool.

Butch, were Bucrons the tires with Butyl rubber tread? If so, I put a pair on the rear of the '61 Pontiac Ventura, 389 TriPower and 4-speed for supposed better traction. The treads just slobbered away under power. Didn't make that mistake again!

Butch, were Bucrons the tires with Butyl rubber tread? If so, I put a pair on the rear of the '61 Pontiac Ventura, 389 TriPower and 4-speed for supposed better traction. The treads just slobbered away under power. Didn't make that mistake again!

They appeared like the old brown gum rubber eraser. Worked great, but for not long. Your vehicle was one that I lusted for in 1961.

Worked for Standard Stations Inc. (company owned/run) back in the day. IIRC, The Atlas Bucron tires (hadn't heard that name in YEARS):cool: had a wear Guarantee. If you wore them out, they would replace them for free. Made perfect street slicks. I think Chevron lost their butt on that deal.
I'll date myself. The last time I went to the drags, Top Fuel was hitting 157 MPH.

Sometime around there real close.

Mike

Art Chrisman ran a 144 mph at Santa Ana on gas in 1954....... with a Ford Flathead no less. It wasn't going to take long for someone to better that with an overhead motor on fuel, which The NHRA allowed in 1957.

I have an Art Chrisman poster on my garage wall.....I took it from there.

Mort

Top Fuel engine technology in the year 2019. I took this of Billy Torrence's car at Brainerd this year. I like how they use a pressurized, micro switch activated oiler to deliver some oil through the injector nozzles into the blower to keep it from tearing off the Teflon strips on the rotors when they are off the throttle.

gblYShqh.jpg

409 Race In Ohio

This was held August 23, 24, and 25th at Dragway 42 at West Salem Ohio. Around 30 cars. There was a couple of REAL Z11 cars there on display. Coincidentally this track is approximately 25 miles west of the Supershoot. Lot's of pics and links towards the end. I didn't race on Sunday as I tore the crap out of my hamstring Saturday night. The 4th time I tore it this year. I tripped on my trailer door cable. Spent 4 days in the hospital before flying home.

http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/rock-n-race-2019-348-409-class.40605/

This was held August 23, 24, and 25th at Dragway 42 at West Salem Ohio. Around 30 cars. There was a couple of REAL Z11 cars there on display. Coincidentally this track is approximately 25 miles west of the Supershoot. Lot's of pics and links towards the end. I didn't race on Sunday as I tore the crap out of my hamstring Saturday night. The 4th time I tore it this year. I tripped on my trailer door cable. Spent 4 days in the hospital before flying home.

http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/rock-n-race-2019-348-409-class.40605/

You know Dave, at your age you should be more careful. You old guys don’t heal as fast as you used to.

Dave
Good to hear from you. Wondered why you hadn't posted something about your meet. If your on the mend its all good.

Mort

I didn't race on Sunday as I tore the crap out of my hamstring Saturday night. The 4th time I tore it this year. I tripped on my trailer door cable. Spent 4 days in the hospital before flying home.

Painful injury, for sure. Glad you're on the mend, Dave. After almost tripping on those before, I use some colored foam floaty sticks over the door cables.

Take care. -Al

Thanks Mort and Al. I thought I was pretty tough but I passed out from the pain twice. I did have the pool thingys on the cables. I had pulled up close to the door to load the car to hook up the winch cable. But I waited until dark to pull it in. Not much room between the car and cables. I'll have a pair of orange construction cones next year. Had a miss the first pass Friday. Coil was junk. Fixed that and had problems with the line lock and 2 step Saturday. Last pass Saturday was second best ever during a match race. I was really looking forward to the eliminations Sunday.

Dave

Two things I remember from years back.
#1 $peed co$t money. How fast do you want to go?
#2 You can sleep in your car but you can't drive your house to the store.

Back