We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

We were at Rock Falls, Wi. last weekend, just outside of Eau Claire. Got down to the final 6 cars out of 111 entries. Pretty good weekend, all in all. :) -Al

e7eKkqnh.jpg

0010.jpg

Al,
This is my buddy Bob's ( ex cop, ex Machinist ) K/SA Poncho. He won class at the Indy Nationals afew years back. He had a SS/I Camaro when he mooned us in L.A.

Mort

Last edited:
2019-06-19_121906.jpg

You can see here how close everything is. Used wood round stock between the joints and firewall getting started.

2019-06-19_122426.jpg Distributer timing.

2019-06-19_123427.jpg Shucks! One more time

2019-06-19_120124.jpg It's all good.

The converted drum stove will blow you out of the garage in the winter. In the shop portion I have an old pot belly stove.....works well for the size of the room.

These pictures are so old I still had my orginal front teeth.

Last edited:
40 Ford

2019-06-19_122903.jpg

"She's like a one-eyed cat, sleeping in a seafood store"

Mort

Last edited:
Jackies thread is going to hit 100k....pretty cool.
Mort

This ceased being my thread long time ago.

It just turns out there are a lot of “car guys” involved in extreme accuracy shooting.

Heck, since I started this thing back in 2013, I have probably spent at least another 20 Grand on my Malibu.:D

Many, many, many years ago I asked a car/hot rod question on BR Central and was flamed on by several. My response was, "there's got to be some motor heads in this group!"

Light'em Up!

Largest 409 Race Ever Held In Iowa

20 Cars lining up next weekend.

Attachments

• Tri-State Flyer.jpg
    Tri-State Flyer.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 224
Dave

Are you part of the group that puts this on ?....is it a dial in system ?

Good luck and can you post some pictures ?

Mort

Real racers use a clutch pedal.

Last edited:
I'm the instigator on this one. Different guys spearhead the effort. Just a bunch of 409 guys that race, no club or anything. We usually have three races annually, most of the time out east. There will be another next month in Ohio I'll attend with 25 cars signed up. Funny part is that it at Dragway 42 out there is about 30 miles west of the Supershoot.

We always bracket race, no electronics, old school. We raced at the Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green for a few years until they screwed us around.

The race here has cars coming from Utah, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Missouri, New York, and Colorado.

Gotta love your signature. I'm a G-force 101A guy.

Later
Dave

Last edited:
Speaking of 409s, back in the day I was doing the Apprentice thing at a large Chevrolet Dealer in the SF Bay area. Parts manager told me "have I got a deal for you". Busy raising two kids, paying for a house, etc. Didn't have ANY extra $$.
Parts man knew I was a 348/409 freak. Says "factory GM 409 fitted block, cam and main bearings, pistons and rings" $125.00. Don't know where or how I scraped up the $$ but I got it.:cool: Added a 348 crank, rods and heads and and a few more parts later, stuffed it in my 58 Bel Air. Something like 380 Cu. In. and 175 pounds compression on first start up and about 50 PSI oil pressure at idle.
Ran it about 75K miles, pulled it out of the 58 and stuffed into my 62 Impala. Ran it another 30+k miles before it developed a slight knock. Never looked into that. Bought Momma a New Nova Sedan. Ran that 200K+ miles. I always got my money's worth. Those were the good old days.

Young, no $$$, no parts so I used what I could get my hands on. Seems like I got the crank out of the dealership machine shop along with the oil pan? Took close to a year to get parts together for the build. Only been 50+ years so memory isn't as good as it use to be. I do remember that it was a B**** to start when it got hot. Too much compression, not enough starter.
When I finally got rid on the 62, 3-2, 2-4s and a 6-2 manifolds were in the trunk along with a hot cam that set the idle at 4500 RPM.

Memory/Compression

Young, no $$$, no parts so I used what I could get my hands on. Seems like I got the crank out of the dealership machine shop along with the oil pan? Took close to a year to get parts together for the build. Only been 50+ years so memory isn't as good as it use to be. I do remember that it was a B**** to start when it got hot. Too much compression, not enough starter.
When I finally got rid on the 62, 3-2, 2-4s and a 6-2 manifolds were in the trunk along with a hot cam that set the idle at 4500 RPM.

Mike
Hear you on the memory issue, but I'm better recalling the past than what's currant....and that's not saying much.

When I drove my 55 on the street I was running Jahns 11.5/1 pop up pistons. I didn't have a timing light so I would back off the advance until it started and lock it down. That was when you could get 100+ octane at the Chevron white pump.

Mort

Some of the manifolds you mentioned would be collector items today.

Last edited:
Bad sport/Good sport

When you are drag racing 1/10 of a second is forever. Depending on your trap speed your talking car lengths. I learned the light system grudge racing on Friday nights at Fremont Drag Strip. It was heads up no matter who you were racing. If you saw green you were late....

When the 55 was rebuilt to run NHRA class racing (more work then you can imagine unless you have done it). My routine was to dump the clutch on the last yellow. To do that I had to stage shallow...just bumping the second stage light until it was solid. I never got a red light using that proceedure and it never cost me a race.

One time I lined up against the Cherolis Brothers who had a machine shop next to Champion Speed Shop. This was the trophy run and I had these guys by 2/10....no problrem. When I staged I lit the second beam hard and for a millisecond I didn't know what to do. They caught a light (they had to) but I thought I could still catch them and then I missed the 2-3 shift...game over.
We weren't buddies but I knew these guys. They were really happy campers but I couldn't find it in myself to congratulate them or talk to anybody.

I still remember that.

Mort

When the xmas tree system first came out the yellow lights came down slower so it was easy to anticipate the last light. The pro light system, which I think is in use everywhere comes down faster. It would take more seat time to get familiar with the system.

Last edited:
Back