We all shoot but do we all hunt?

Who hunt & who just shoots

• Total voters
I hunt most anything that walks, flies, or swims( yes, bass can be taken with 22 lr if you know how). I have also had the opportunity to hunt game that shoots back in the military( 17 of 23 years in spec ops). You learn to hunt quickly or you don't get to post on such forums as this. good hunting, Guy

...But Is it Legal?

( yes, bass can be taken with 22 lr if you know how).

Not legal in most places I know about.

Years ago I knew guys who took brook trout in small streams with Chlorox.

And fish in ponds with a stick of dynamite.

Most states mandate that fish ought to be taken with rods and reels.

I hunt and fish love the outdoors, even when i do not catch or kill anything it is a beautiful day in the outdoors. i have and will let fish go and deer walk at times, depending on the need for meat, I went on a hunting excursion 1st week of Nov. And was blessed with 4 fine deer. We just had some deer sausage for supper..nothing better.. And not over bait either..

Last edited:
Vic, on the Rez things are different. Papere taught me that it was better to shoot the one you want than to tear up a bunch that had swallowed a hook. Deer hunting is legal in Maine with 22 mag. deer hunting with dogs in SC is o.k. We were also issued the AK47 when it wasn't a US standard arm. when in Rome so to speak, eh? I can't imagine fishing with Clorox though!

I hunt most anything that walks, flies, or swims( yes, bass can be taken with 22 lr if you know how). I have also had the opportunity to hunt game that shoots back in the military( 17 of 23 years in spec ops). You learn to hunt quickly or you don't get to post on such forums as this. good hunting, Guy

hmmmm, I've learned to hunt slowly. Differn't strokes ;)

al

Right Al, it must be the French in me! One must learn the skills quickly to be able to hunt the most dangerous game.

Same to you Joe.
Hambone, you say in the bag? My first deer was so big it fit in a feed sack. Took it to the processor and he checked for milk in it's mouth. We came back to pick it up and the processor handed me a ice chest that was designed for a 6 pack. Told me he felt bad for me, so he put a chicken in with the deer meat to fill up the cooler. After all these many years none of my family or friends will let me forget.

Butch

Samething happened to me the first time I went hunting hogs. For a animal that can go 500lb+ those damn things can move. I was placed in a dry stream bed that ended about 25 yds from where I was told to stand. This meant I was out of sight of any thing that approached and I had a fairly decent field of fire for the Winchester shotgun and solid slug ammunition I had been loaned.

The first 2 hogs zipped past before I could get a shot off. No one had mentioned that they could also move without a lot of noise. I heard the 3rd one coming so was ahead of the game and had the shotgun in the shoulder waiting for it to across my stream bed. I saw a big sow with 3 smaller mid sized pigs and had ideas of getting a couple at lest as I had 1 slug in the chamber and another 3 in the mag.

Anyways. 4 shots, a lot of gravel and dirt moved down stream, and 1 pig that weighed about 35lbs, only half was salvageable as that solid slug chewed up the two front shoulders real bad. What made it worse was my so call mate shot the two big ones that had passed me first, going like express trains.

Had a similar thing hunting in Callahan County Texas.We told everybody to look for a small pig for camp meat. One of our mates shot a little one on the other side of the draw that he was hunting over. About a 150yd. shot. He went to drag it to his truck was a quarter mile away. The little booger so he decided to gut it. He move another 50 yds and decided he didn't need the head. Long story short, he made it to camp with the back straps and one ham. A trail of animal parts was about 250yds long.
Butch

I got my Cabelas Outdoor Adventures 2012 catalog yesterday.... only in my dream$. - nhk

I had to get into long range shooting to hunt here in eastern Oregon, got tired of watching elk at 800++ yards watching me back. The only competetive shooting I do is against myself, I usually come in second.

I had to get into long range shooting to hunt here in eastern Oregon, got tired of watching elk at 800++ yards watching me back. The only competetive shooting I do is against myself, I usually come in second.

A case of either improve your hunting skills or improve your shooting skills. Or do both together I guess. The furthest I've shot deer is about 600yrds, when hunting in New Zealand using a friends 7mm RUM. The shooting was the easiest bit, extracting the carcasses was the killer!

What rifle, calibre,scope etc. do you use?

Hell, the last deer I shot was so far away, I had to pack rock salt in the hollow point bullet, so's the meat wouldn't spoil by the time I got to the carcass!

Same to you Joe.
Hambone, you say in the bag? My first deer was so big it fit in a feed sack. Took it to the processor and he checked for milk in it's mouth. We came back to pick it up and the processor handed me a ice chest that was designed for a 6 pack. Told me he felt bad for me, so he put a chicken in with the deer meat to fill up the cooler. After all these many years none of my family or friends will let me forget.
them little ones are easier to drag, and taste better. you just have to kill a few of 'em.

Back