Walker County Benchrest To Host The NBRSA 200/300 Varmint Nationals March 25-26

jackie schmidt

Walker County Benchrest will be hosting the NBRSA 200/300 Nationals March 25-26.

The Format is the Light Varmint and Heavy Varmint Two Gun Format.

Awards will also include National Championship Patches for the winners.

The Range is located about 10 miles NW of Huntsville Texas on Scales Ranch Road, just off FM Hyway 1696.

www.walkercobr.com

Last edited:
wind flags

Guys out past 200 I had to add on to my wind flag legs, My flags go up to 6'8" to be able to see them in scope. FYI !!!

Out past 200? would that be 250, 300, 400, etc.etc? Just asking. I may need extensions.

Glenn

Glenn, the Range's topography takes a dip past about 120 yards. I set 6 flags for 200, he forth being about 4 feet tall, the last two being about 6 1/2 feet tall to get them right at the bottom of the target.I don't care if they are in the scope, as I shoot "headsup".

My 2d and 3d flag from the bench are pretty low, but with them getting taller toward the target, you have a great view of all.

It's much better than either Denton or the right side of Tomball.

Glenn, the Range's topography takes a dip past about 120 yards. I set 6 flags for 200, he forth being about 4 feet tall, the last two being about 6 1/2 feet tall to get them right at the bottom of the target.I don't care if they are in the scope, as I shoot "headsup".

My 2d and 3d flag from the bench are pretty low, but with them getting taller toward the target, you have a great view of all.

It's much better than either Denton or the right side of Tomball.

Thanks for that tidbit Jackie. I think my flags will go up that high. Due to my age and eyesight, any flag past about 130yds is just range decoration:(

Glenn

Loading area ??

Is there a covered loading area ??? or do I need to bring something like an easy up

Thanks

Gene

Attachments

• IMG_1275.JPG
    IMG_1275.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 348
  • IMG_1260.JPG
    IMG_1260.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 349
Last edited:
loading area ??

Thanks for the response Jackie and Garry

hold a spot for me --I'll be there late tomorrow

See ya then

Gene

Saturday scores

Conry, Baggett, Horn and Bukys are shooting good!

Attachments

• IMG_7388.JPG
    IMG_7388.JPG
    374.4 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_7389.JPG
    IMG_7389.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_7390.JPG
    IMG_7390.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 268
http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19261&stc=1&d=1490576866

Conditions both days were horrendous, especially at today's LV and HV 300.

Congratulations to Mike Conry for a great Two Gun win. He and Larry Bagget literally battled to it out to the end.

Thanks to Walker County Benchrest for hosting the Match. It is pretty obvious that 300 yard shooting does not have the appeal of 100 and 200, some of that is vested in the fact that not many Benchrest Ranges are set up to shoot 300 Yards at the Registered Level.

Walker County certainly is. I look for Larry Deese, the owner of the facility, to continue to promote the 200/300 Format.

Attachments

• IMG_1730.JPG
    IMG_1730.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 316
Last edited:
Walker County this past weekend

I was at Walker County this past weekend and I have a few observations. This was my first match of this season. It’s always great to reconnect with some old acquaintances and shake hands with the new.

I enjoyed the fun and the challenge of shooting at 300yds. The mirage made it, sometimes, impossible to see bullet holes or where to aim.

Larry Deese,the owner/operator of this new Range, has an engaging personality and tons of enthusiasm. Good for Business and Sport. Larry and his family has committed themselves to making this venture a success.

Thanks Larry. I will be back.

Glenn

Glenn, that is a great observation. While other parts of the Country are begging for Ranges to shoot, or even hold Matches, Larry and Beth Deese just decide to build a great facility out of what used to be woods just 3 years ago.

The Range goes all the way out to 400 yards, which gives Larry the option of holding different kinds of Matches. He shoots 100/200/300 Varmint for Score and Group, plus 250 and 400 yard Clay Bird Matches.

I wish the attendance for this match would have been up. It seems Shooters B**** and moan about not having a place to shoot, and then, when a Range takes the time, effort and money to put on a first class event, only 27 shooters show up.

Granted, we had some World Class Competitors, and the conditions were really tough. But for a Range to even break even, shooters have to be willing to show up. It cost a certain amount of money to put on Registered Matches, and we can't expect owners of facilities, or Clubs, to go broke for the sake of giving us a place to shoot.

We in the Houston Area are fortunate to have 3 Ranges, within a two hour driving distance, that have Matches, those being Lake Charles, Walker County, and Tomball. All are close enough to a large populated area so there are good hotels and restaurants. All three also have great Match Directors who are willing to do the work.

Maybe it's the 300 yard thing. When we have a 100/200/300 yard HV Group or Varmint for Score, half of the Shooters will not stick around for the 300 Yard on Sunday. Shooting Benchrest at 300 yards is a whole different animal than 100/200, especially if the conditions are really tough.

That would be a good discussion for a Thread. 300 Yard Benchrest is really in that zone between Short Range and Long Range. It's not far enough out to where BC and external ballistics take over, but almost too far to get a good read on what is going on out past 200. Having that good read is the difference between shooting .5 groups, and shooting 2 inch groups, as many of us found out this past week end.

We sure had a good time at the 1836 Steak House Saturday Evening. Granted, much of the good humor centered around my "Bozoing out" and shooting an entire group on the wrong target, but what are friends for if not to remind you of your short comings.

Last edited:
300yds

Excellent points Jackie. Who knows, 300yd competition may be the dawn of a new era in Benchrest Competition. It was immediately apparent to me that I needed more flags and they needed to have bigger vanes. I am going to need a golf cart to help with flag setup. 

I think I also need a new eyeglass prescription.

A ten shot Rail Gun shoot at 300yds would be interesting. A great way to learn something about the affects of conditions.

Enough can’t be said about the money that Larry put into this project. The construction is still a work in progress, according to Larry.

If you love the sport,I see no reason to shy away from an extra 100yds.

Glenn

Back