Veterans thank you

Ah we know the difference. I was drafted and was known as US 55740716.

. My wife enlisted and had a WA prefix as a dental assistant in Fort Gordon, GA.

Eddie Harren brings up a good point. My MOS was 111.68 and was infantry, light weapons instructor. They have since changed the MOS designations, as I understand it.

Francis, when was Jan at Ft. Gordon? I was there in early 1962, probably way before she was?

My MOS was 133.8 Armor Intelligence Tank Commander...INTELLIGENCE....I know!!

Jerry got it. We became proud of that "US" in front of our service number. It really did separate us from all of the rest of the services. "Hey, I didn't ask for this sh-t" was a catch all excuse for being a tad defient to the military way of life.

We Draftees are also a finite lot. One day, a headline in a paper, or on the Internet will say,......."the last Draftee died today". I will probably have to live into my 90's to be that guy, but I hope it's me:D

Francis, I ended up in commo. I started out in 63 B, which was a vehicle mechanic, went TDY to Ft Benning for Commo School. But they reminded you that your secondary MOS was always "11 Bravo".

Wow. Think about it. Many of us are approaching a half of a century since those days. It seems like a long time ago, in a galaxy far away.

veterans thank you

you forgot one shinney NG National guard
NG national guard
US draftee
RA Regular army enlistee

We knew the difference didn't we Jackie? The US prefix on ones military serial number (great to be a serial numbered item) meant that person was a draftee, taken by force.

There was a popular joke at that time "it was the saddest day of my life when we 6 left home, me and those 5 MP's"!

Seriously though, I believe we draftees had more skin in the game. Unfortunately, now, some, not all, enter the military as an alternative offered by the courts or just to have a job and income!

Hey Jerry,
That court action ended with the draft. The US Military is a professional force.
I saw that when, I was in. 1983. We saw Ronnie Reagan recommission the USS New Jersey BB-62. Wow. That was fun.
Then Reagan instituted anyone with more than 2 Capt.'s Masts or Article 42-32 or whatever. Can get out. Bad Conduct discharge.
All the crime and BS ended on the USS Gridley CG-21.
Wow. What a difference. The black folks were always trying to start a riot. That BS ended also.

Been gone and couldn't post until now. Hope y'all had a nice Veteran's day...and have several more of the same.

Wilbur
US Army...one of those "US" guys. Glad I made it back home - others did not. My Mother asked me if I wanted to go to Canada and I said no. After 47 years I believe I understand the question. Not entirely but close enough.

Back