UPS Store not gun friendly...

D

dpapadimitrio@g

Had a shock today, went to ship several rifle stocks via the local "UPS Store", bad sign from the start when the clerk said we don't ship firearms...

Told them to take a closer look, these were gun stocks only...)chill(

Clerk yelled to the other employee in back asking to confirm that they don't ship gun parts, gun stock, triggers, etc. Other yelled back the confirmation that the franchise stores do not, and to go to a UPS hub and I could ship.

Took my business to the USPS where I have never had any issues, will now avoid UPS when possible.

Sad part of this is the volume and business UPS gets from gun sales and gun component sales. Don't know if this was just sub-room temperature IQ's at work at this location or if this is more widespread, but not likely to waste my other business there either.:mad:

The "UPS Stores around here vary greatly between locations. I've had them tell me that they weren't allowed to ship brass, bullets, barrels even though the are not a "gun" I've got a friend in Montana and the UPS Store told him he could ship a refle only if he could "prove" that it was going to an FFL...I think some of them are just trying to be "Richard Cranium" JMHO
Mark

Use the USPS

Had a shock today, went to ship several rifle stocks via the local "UPS Store", bad sign from the start when the clerk said we don't ship firearms...

Told them to take a closer look, these were gun stocks only...)chill(

Clerk yelled to the other employee in back asking to confirm that they don't ship gun parts, gun stock, triggers, etc. Other yelled back the confirmation that the franchise stores do not, and to go to a UPS hub and I could ship.

Took my business to the USPS where I have never had any issues, will now avoid UPS when possible.

Sad part of this is the volume and business UPS gets from gun sales and gun component sales. Don't know if this was just sub-room temperature IQ's at work at this location or if this is more widespread, but not likely to waste my other business there either.:mad:

IMHO for long guns...you can't ship pistols USPS. They are fast, reasonable and no hassle.

Stupid clerks. The UPS store is not the same as UPS. UPS Stores do not accept firearms by their own rules. Go to UPS if you wish to ship firearms.

Why did you tell them you were shipping gun stocks? Why not "pieces of hardwood" or "machined parts" or something similar. Yes, follow the BATF rules to the letter, but don't fall prey to the idiot clerks who often have an irrational personal fear of inanimate objects or their own agenda. bob

Be truthly exact

but reveal nothing extra. The last time I shipped a barrel and stock via UPS I described them as "a piece of stainless steel pipe and a piece of formed plastic".

Glen

I recently shipped a $600 air rifle through a UPS store. They allowed me to ship the "pellet gun" (I thought that sounded less threatening than anything with the word "rifle" in it!), but would not insure it for more than $425. The reason? The store manager didn't want to get "stuck" for more than that if something happened to the package during shipping. If I hadn't been in a bind to get the gun out that afternoon, I would have walked out the door with my package and I won't ever deal with ANY "UPS Store" again.

On the plus side for UPS in general, I just shipped a BR rifle at a local hub, insured for $3000, no problem. I'm having the rifle shipped back to the hub for pickup there, saving another day on a truck and I won't have to be home to sign for it when it comes back.
Todd

Hi Todd...

And a plug for USPS Registered/Insured mail. I recently had a high end rifle to ship. With Registered Mail, the package has to be signed for every time it changes hands. The Hope Diamond was shipped with much fanfare that way. the pleasant surprise was it cost considerably less then had I shipped it with the same insurance limits via UPS and Ground at that. Forget FedEx if you have high limits.

Ups

Local UPS franchise stores will not accept anything firearm related. A friend tried to send a Leupold rifle scope back for warranty repair & they refused. Several years ago I attempted to ship a rifle back to the maker for barrel replacement & the clerk actually became hysterical to the point you would think I had a nuclear bomb in the package. Went to FedEx & they gladly shipped it. I only do fedex or USPS now.

UPS Store

Long story, but I needed to have the stocks packaged for shipment across country. Did not have the opportunity or means to pack myself, so wanted them to pack and ship.

If I had packaged for them to ship, it would have been a non-issue of shipping plastic parts (synthetic stocks).

Have shipped parts to gunsmiths for related work and have described the as machined parts for rework, no problem them.

This was a unique instance, and they got to see what they would be shipping. Some pretty wild colors involved too :p

In my opinion:

UPS should be boycotted by all gun people. They were the first to bring forward the HAZMAT charges and all others followed. I stopped using them shortly thereafter and request that things I order be shipped by USPS. Powder and primers are still shipped the same way, in the same trucks, without any extrodinary storage device just like they were before the HAZMAT charges. Screw them!

I have never had one problem shipping a lot of long guns and gun related stuff through USPS.

Here is some "weird" news

I recently purchased a rifle from an individual that had posted on another internet website...it was a Remington 700 BDL without a bolt :confused:The seller claimed to have come by the rifle from another individual and the bolt had been lost many years ago..;)...
Well the price was cheap enough, so I contacted the seller via email and made payment electronically..I was getting an FFL form ready to mail to the seller when a few days later the rifle showed up at my local post office..:eek:
I signed for it and went home wondering why the seller had shipped it directly to me without an FFL form or the FFL dealers' address (which he didn't have):confused:
Well a few days after the rifle arrived I got a call from law enforcement of the state where the seller resided..it seems it was a stolen firearm...I was asked if I had said rifle "yes" I replied...:eek:
then I was asked if I had recieved it at my residence directly thru the mail.."yes" I replied...(wait for it)...well I was told that I could be in violation of recieving a firearm across state lines without a FFL..."but since it did NOT have a BOLT it was considered a NON-FIRING weapon and did NOT fall under the required guidelines of shipping directly to an FFL dealer.:eek::eek:
What the "h**l"...I think Federal Law enforcement has all kinds of loopholes that they hide from gun owners...man if I had known that I could have shipped a ton of rifles without the bolts, and sent the bolts separately ;):D

GO FIGURE:rolleyes:

I was told that I could be in violation of recieving a firearm across state lines without a FFL..."but since it did NOT have a BOLT it was considered a NON-FIRING weapon and did NOT fall under the required guidelines of shipping directly to an FFL dealer.:eek::eek:
What the "h**l"...I think Federal Law enforcement has all kinds of loopholes that they hide from gun owners...man if I had known that I could have shipped a ton of rifles without the bolts, and sent the bolts separately ;):D

GO FIGURE:rolleyes:

under federal law you were still shipped a firearm. doesn't matter if the bolt is in it or not. Stripped AR receivers are considered firearms yet they are nothing more than forged pieces of aluminum with a stamped serial number.

In regards to federal firearms laws they are all published and available for order (for free) or download via the internet. Not many loopholes to hide with that. People just dont take the time to read them and familiarize themselves with the law including many FFL licensees.

UPS is a for profit private entity. They are in the business of covering their costs and to make a profit. In regards to HAZ mat fees UPS didn't set out to screw over gun owners when they increase hazmat fees. I don't know the reason but I'm sure it has to do with some governmental regulation they have to pay a fee for and then they pass the buck on to every one that ships hazardous materials, not just reloaders.

Last edited:
Back