UH-OH, Here c-c-comes that (B-B-BRRR) C-C-CR-Cryo word again........

brian roberts

Some time around the end of nex' week, Murray State College will take delivery of their new Vacuum-Insulated Cryogenic Processor.
The processor's interior depth will be 50" so equipment longer than that can be processed.

This capability will be incorporated into their existing Gunsmithing curriculum, and into some new courses they'll develop shortly (probably 1-2 years).

They intend to inaugurate an Nra Short Course that will be one, and possibly two sessions in length, with a certificate and a souvenir for all that attend.

Being cutting-edge experimenters, I thought this might be of interest for some.

:cool: HMmmm...That's on a temporary hold, the truck blew an engine and had to be towed to Dallas.
Looks like it won't be delivered until the beginning of next week.

(Wouldn'ta happened, if that engine'd been CRYOED!! ) :D :D ;)

I wonder how a Cryoed barrel would take to Salt bath Nitriding

Cryogenically Freezing

Myself and Several of my friends Had it done to Golf Clubs and Golf Balls a while back. None of us saw any advantage. Our scores remained the same. The Local Pro said it was a scam. I'm inclined to believe him. It may work on Rifle Barrels.

Glenn

How did you like the THUD of the ball when hit??????????
Felt like hitting a rock.

Later
Dave

Myself and Several of my friends Had it done to Golf Clubs and Golf Balls a while back. None of us saw any advantage. Our scores remained the same. The Local Pro said it was a scam. I'm inclined to believe him. It may work on Rifle Barrels.

Glenn

Well, Butch..............

Using liquid helium these machines can run close to -450 which I'm told is helium's temp in liquid form, However, since they use a heat exchanger, they run closer to -400. W/liquid nitrogen, they typically run around -300, but some profiles have been found to be better run between -300 to -306. The heat exchanger uses the vapors from LN or LH, so the liquid never touches the parts being treated. Its kinda like a steam radiator, only instead of steam, (its just another vapor), the radiator radiates cold.

As far as the clubs and balls, they may have been used equipment as the reason. I say MAY, because a Little League coach I spoke with said brand-new unbatted bats(treated) would average 3-5ft. farther than untreated bats, and used bats that were treated didn't show any improvement. Also, maybe those clubs and balls weren't processed using a Vacuum-Insulated processor, which is more readily being found to be the only way to get a true cryo process.

Here are some interesting developments in the aircraft engine re-building industry, and this company performs an FAA-approved cryogenic NDT on all parts going into their top-rated engines. At this time they are the ONLY A/C re-builder to offer this service.

http://www.victor-aviation.com/engine.php

http://www.victor-aviation.com/cryogenic.php

Last edited:
Well, I only pointed to aluminum bats..........

as a method of illustration (brand new vs. previously used) and that there are some phenomena that are being revealed all the time. That's why grant writers are regarding this as an, "Emerging Technology", even though Rick Diekman has been doing this in a V-I machine for the last 25 YEARS. Here's another: Valve springs. They will typically take a 10% to as much as a 17% "set"; bead blast them and properly cryo them and they will take about a 3-5% "set", max. However, if you cryo them, THEN bead blast them, they react as before, 10-17%. Nobody can say why, as a matter of fact, no one can say, definitively, WHY cryo works AT ALL, there are only extrapolations, nothing more. However, the fact that a proper cryo process does work has now been accepted, and the industry is now moving to discover HOW they can "tune" the process to accomodate the different materials and alloys, and too, what other materials can be enhanced by using this treatment.

However, some of the things that WILL be revealed is, how does a non-cryo'd barrel react when fired, where does the muzzle come to rest? And, the same for that barrel and others AFTER cryo? And what about tuners? does a cryo'd barrel show an advantage over a tuner'd non-cryo'd barrel? and how about a cryo'd barrel AND a cryo'd tuner combo? Of course in those quests, RF and CF will be viewed equally.

There are many things about cryo that will be discovered in the next 3-5 years, rest assured, and there will be no ASSumptions, they will be performed under real conditions. It would be great if Murray State could have a lab built on the range, or at least a tunnel. However, they will be able to have proof of their discoveries: FLIR is going to work w/them on acquiring high speed thermographic cameras that can measure the temperature of bullets as they traverse the range from muzzle to target, as well as provide a thermographic record of barrel temp. acquisition during the firing episodes and the distortions the system endures in real-time, high-speed thermographic motion pictures.

And, in addition, barrels and barreled receivers will be processed for the public, at an attractive price. Lets all hope that goes well enough that they can need a second, larger machine.

Last edited:
Cryo for rifle barrels has been around for a long time. The best test that I have seen, which was extensive and well documented, was written by Kevin Thomas, while he was with Sierra. It was published in Precision Shooting, and showed virtually no advantage insofar as accuracy and wear were concerned.

Krieger barrels are CRYOed before drilling. There are some potential issues when a finished part is treated. I know of one hall of fame shooter who had an excellent unlimited barrel treated. It became significantly less accurate. It would seem that if there is significant austenite in a finished barrel , and it is converted to martenite, the change could be detrimental. I believe that CRYO can stress relieve some steels, but Doug Shilen made no secret that he did not believe that there was any data to support 416 being stress relieved by CRYO. I believe that the advantage that Krieger enjoys from their processing is that the material is made more homogenous by the conversion of residual austenite, resulting in straighter drilling.

On the other hand, if you enjoy stories about unexpected results from CRYO treatment of things that you would not think of trying, consider that back in the day that one fellow sent me boxes of 30-06 Lake city match that been treated, along with some, from the same lot that had not. The Cryoed ammo shot better, noticeably. My test was not scientific, but it did seem to quite definitely confirm what he had told me. I have no idea why.

Boyd,
I'm not sure that Kreiger is still cryoing. You may want to follow up on that. They tried in the past without using heat to stress relieve. They are back using the oven. I have had several CRYOed and can definitely tell which has been CRYOed when chambering. As of this time the only advantage that I see is the ease of machining.

Back in the 90's,the cryogenic treatment of Sports equipment was popular. Especially Golf equipment. Steel shaft Clubs and later Golf Balls. Also Other Sports euipment,including Aluminum Bats,Baseballs,etc. The Cryogenic experts suggested that just about any Sports equipment would benefit from freezing. Well,the fad lasted several years and then quietly vanished from the scene. I wonder why. I notice that a new and improved version of freezing has been reintroduced to the curiosity of Sports optimists. On the basis of my experience,I am not convinced. Never tried a frozen Rifle Barrel.

Glenn

Last edited:
As another poster would say, Welp.............

I think Kevin Thomas said he performed excruciating research on barrels 'til they were almost dead, and they didn't last longer/were more accurate/easier to clean/make him more sexy, etc., because he was probably told, "Hey Kev, looka these'n try 'em out, cuz they been cryo'd; or cryoed; or CRYOed." And, not doing any investigation as to WHAT, exactly was necessary to perform a proper process, accepted the statement as a fact (and really, why shouldn't he; some one w/credibility, misplaced or not, pronounced it so) And, he found no increase in 1. accuracy 2. longevity so, automatically, "This ))&^% don't wurk" was readily evident, and that was it, and he ain't gonna BE made a fool of again, or admit that he possibly ever was.

But, when I spoke to a senior manager of a ballistics lab that had done some experiments w/"cryo'd barrels" and told him that there was a difference in heat acquisition/dissipation, I was told, "When we did tests we never looked at that", in a tone that suggested he was amazed that no one in the lab looked at it before.

Now, ol' Kev prob'ly did a great job in checking things out, as far as it got. However, if he didn't have a properly cryogenically processed barrel to begin with, where does that leave us?
Well, for one thing, would Kevin even entertain the fact that perhaps he didn't have what he thought he had? Would he, or anyone, even consider the fact that perhaps they'd been fed a string by some charlatan who was only trying to make a fast buck and didn't CARE whether it worked or not? Or, that there were some people who really DID want to bring folks a process that works and invested their money in equipment they'd been TOLD would do the job, and swear that it works, but don't have enough bucks to back up to square one and re-invest in equipment that really DOES do, what it says it CAN and WILL do, day after day, year after year?
And why are so many unwilling or unABLE to entertain the possibility that maybe, just maybe, somebody has something that really DOES work, I just hadn't FOUND it yet??

As far as Kreiger and others go, numerous people were threatened w/prosecution for infringing on a "patent" that was held by another company. But, amazingly when that patent was called up, on the P&T Office website, Guess what?? That patent was listed as "expired for lack of payment of maintenance fees to the P&T Office." Gee, what happened?

Now, some people can turn out a cryogenic process with their old freezer box, but you wouldn't want to pay for it. Why? Well they're going to have to wrap everything up in covers, like Turkish towels, to protect your parts from the LN, 'cause they're gonna be pumping a S)%$#$load of nitrogen through there, because damned close to as fast as they pump it in, its going to be wicking out as a result of the breakdown of the poor insulation between the walls of the "processor", and as a result of continued expansion & contraction, that insulation will eventually be lying in a puddle between those walls. They will probably use 20 times or more than the LN used by a V-I machine, then they'll have to unload and unwrap your stuff and then put it in some kind of tempering oven for the heat cycle, then unload that and rewrap it in the packaging you sent it in for the return to you.
Now, if all this sounds like so much BS that I'm telling you, just THINK about my next question carefully.
Say you have a choice, you can put your hot coffee in a Mason jar, and put it in a:

1. Wooden box
2. Refridgerator (turned off) OR:
3. A Thermos bottle
and take it to work, which would you choose for the best bet your coffee will be HOT the first time you take some, and reasonably WARM, still, by lunchtime?? DING!! You got it!!: A vacuum-insulated thermos bottle.

There really IS something better out there, but because the wear resistance has increased, so, probably, has the time to when you will notice a change in accuracy. Now, some people have seen an immediate accuracy increase, and they're lucky, but I wouldn't bet money on it, and some have had to increase the charge weight; while some have just continued to use the same load they always have and just shot it, noticing a gradual
accuracy increase as time went on, until it no longer improved.
And some not-so-good barrels may only show a slight improvement.
How do you know how YOURS will do? Unfortunately, you don't, there's no way to predict that.
Remember, though, a barrelmaker can't tell you which barrel WILL shoot, they can only tell you which barrel WON 'T shoot. And, since barrelmakers can SELL far more than they can produce, there is no financial incentive for them to spend hard-earned time and money on something they're convinced doesn't work, anyway.

I really hope I have cleared some of the air on this, and here's something else to consider, how many times have you heard, "Talk is Cheap"? Well, you have to HAVE a couple barrels done before you can make a comparison, and you have to KNOW the technology is there that will work on your barrel, if you have a decent one. But before you send a fantastic barrel you really should shoot a couple barrels from a reputable processor so you have an idea as to what to expect, based on experience.
I have probably shot more processed barrels than anyone else on this board, and know numerous others that have, too; and they all would much rather pay for even a factory barrel (although a couple have ordered barrels from excellent makers and had them done) to be done on a rifle they really wanted to perform than to let it not be done, and numerous handgunners will have most, if not all (depending on how many they have) done as a matter of choice, no question.
Is it for everyone? No, thats why they have horse races, NASCAR, air races.....
Well.....you get the idea.

Last edited:
To alla' you'se contractors out there, I've got a NEW diamond blade I'm selling......... outperforms the old tech 1.768:1, especially with the new ethanol gas.

Don't expect this service to be cheap. Thanks to our Gov't mandating that all U.S. Helium reserves be sold off by 2014.....Don't ask why, I never saw an explanation. Many Helium dependent industries are closing doors due to poor supply...the price per cylinder increased over 4 fold in ten years. Yes, this new process may be a closed loop system, but Helium is a tiny molecule and is extremely difficult to contain....it even permeates metal. Liquid helium is even more fleeting and is extremely hard to minimimize flash-off. Speaking with engineers ( ex-coworkers) at a Cryogenics company that builds the Cryo- refrigerators for MRI's which take gaseous Helium and compresses it and runs it though a JT cold end to produce liquid Helium, their thoughts are that taking it below LIN temperatures would do nothing to further enhance the steels properties.
A lot of good barrels were ruined during the last cryo craze.

Don't expect this service to be cheap. Thanks to our Gov't mandating that all U.S. Helium reserves be sold off by 2014.....Don't ask why, I never saw an explanation. Many Helium dependent industries are closing doors due to poor supply...the price per cylinder increased over 4 fold in ten years. Yes, this new process may be a closed loop system, but Helium is a tiny molecule and is extremely difficult to contain....it even permeates metal. Liquid helium is even more fleeting and is extremely hard to minimimize flash-off. Speaking with engineers ( ex-coworkers) at a Cryogenics company that builds the Cryo- refrigerators for MRI's which take gaseous Helium and compresses it and runs it though a JT cold end to produce liquid Helium, their thoughts are that taking it below LIN temperatures would do nothing to further enhance the steels properties.
A lot of good barrels were ruined during the last cryo craze.

Odd as this may seem, the reason the price is increasing is that we're running out of helium....kinda' hard to synthesize the building blocks of the system :)

al

BTW the idea that there's "new" cryo processes in ludicrous LOL We had a liquid nitrogen tank at the house 35yrs ago......

wheeee

al

Back