Type of abrasive used to lap barrels?

type of abrasives

boyd, the way I read you is leave a rough finish in bbl and let bullets smooth lands down. i'm not talking about burrs !

My friend has a bore scope, and comparing what he has done with 320 grit to a new Krieger, he says that they look similar, so my best advice is to shoot for a finish similar to that. The main mistake that he made, starting out, was to use something other than aluminum oxide to lap. He had all the other details down, but needed to make that change to get the break in that he was looking for. The aluminum oxide does not imbed, and it breaks down to finer size in use. He has been able to remove tight spots, and uniform the bore while leaving some slight choke. Of course he needs to start with a barrel that is small enough at the muzzle since lapping can only enlarge.

Do some of em not get lapped?

I had a Brand Name barrel from a well respected maker fitted to one of my rifles last year and from the appearance of the inside of it, I would say it was not lapped after it was cut. I , unfortunately did not look in it before I sent it off to be chambered and fitted. I haven't said anything about this to the maker who may very well replace it if I were to send it back. The issue there is they would not pay for the chambering and finishing job or the freight back to them, likely and it has been shot too much now to consider asking, I feel. Question; is this one a good candidate for me trying to lap it? it seems to shoot a little better all the time but it isn't a world beater.

I would suggest that you start with a barrel that has little or no value. There is a lot to learn, and mistakes will be made. Perhaps if Gordy manages to get his video made, the path will be clearer. I hesitate to give second hand instructions, since it is my friend who laps not I. How does it feel when you slug it, and how does it foul?

Last edited:
I would suggest that you start with a barrel that has little or no value. There is a lot to learn, and mistakes will be made. Perhaps if Gordy manages to get his video made, the path will be clearer. I hesitate to give second hand instructions, since it is my friend who laps not I. How does it feel when you slug it, and how does it foul?

I have not slugged it Boyd. I am only going on how it looks and it seems to foul easier than some of my others. I guess I'll just let it wear in by shooting it.

I wouldn't get too carried away about how a barrel looked inside, and if it did not copper foul out within the number of shots that I normally shoot between cleanings, I wouldn't worry about that. In my inquiries, it seems that cut barrels are much less likely to have tight or loose spots than buttoned. I have a rifle (DGA, Six thumbhole, Hart trigger) with an old cut barrel from back in the day, that looks quite "interesting" through bore scope. Shoots pretty well. I have to remind my self of that when I look at it with a scope. It only looks broke.

Back