Turning down a heavy bbl

Id call the mfr to see what they say first. Some finish lap after contouring and some dont think it matters

Contuor

I have turned down and tapered both Shilen and Krieger LV stainless match grade barrels down to .620 at the muzzle (Both barrels new unfired before turning down). I wanted a 6m/m barrel in 1/14 twist to shoot the 58gr. Hornady V-Max one in 6x47 (6x222mag) the other in 6BR. Both rifle's weigh in at just over 7 1/2 lbs scope and all makes nice lite carry guns. Both rifles shoot 90% of the time half inch and less at 100yds. But will never do it again WAY TO MUCH WORK.

Chet

I turned a 1.5" rimfire barrel blank down to a sporter class. about .750" a few years ago. I'm done with that process and will just order what I need from a barrel maker from now on. Way too much work and not very good results.

I bought one of those cheap x caliber barrels I have been hearing so many talk about, they are cheap at 150$ but they come in a straight 1.250 with no taper. I made mine a light palma contour a few months back. it was a pain for sure. I used my follow rest, and it came out pretty fair. I haven't shot the barrel yet, so the verdict is still out. Lee

I began doing one

before I left for the winter. I bought a cheap blank and just hogged off some. I am going to try the tailstock offset method when I get home in the spring. It didn't take a long time to hog off .200" ( I am making a Rimfire Sporter barrel that has two big ends and a tapered, small middle portion). I figured it was worth the experience for something to do.

Pete

Tapering one is a pain without a hydraulic follow rest or similar. That said, an AR typically has straight, non- tapered steps, which is much, much easier to do. I've done a bunch of them with no issues, both cut and buttoned varieties of barrels. I've never felt that any of them left anything on the table as a result of turning them down. IMO, if it hurts anything, it's little enough that it's lost in the noise of the platform on which they are going on. Some may claim better, but IME, an AR left in semi-auto form is only good for about .3 aggs, at best, regardless of whether it's barrel was lapped before of after contouring.

Keep barrel cool. Try HSS ground with a chip breaker groove. If you can't make a air follower rest for a tapered barrel, hold a heavy lead or brass hammer opposite the cutter as a way of stopping vibration chatter.

Back