Turbo feeding Woes

Pete Wass

Do other folks have the same problems with being able to feed ammo into their Turbo as I do?!! If so, is there a solution for the problem? I struggled yesterday in the match I shot in.

I am using Black Box Eley, the ones with the flat nose on them. I find that nearly every time I try to load a round the flat lodges against the barrel and stops the process. Do other folks have this issue also?

I looked closely at the loading ramp today and wondered if making the slot a bit deeper might help things?

Thanks,

Pete Wass

Pete,
The Turbo has the worst loading ramp ever designed. I've owned one some 5+ years. I am a left handed shooter and have rblp so I load blind....even worse. But, like anything in this world that is worthwhile......just learn to feed it by hand. Otherwise an autoloading 10-22 would sound real good! LOL. Practice. Practice. Practice. It still sucks but practice.

John M. Carper

Just take a little bit of time and hand feed it in or place it on the ramp and slowly close the bolt while guiding it in with your fingers. The accuracy of the Turbo makes the little extra time/care worth it.

I have two Turbos, one feeds all ammo including Eley very well. The other does well with Lapua but catches at the bottom with Eley. I've had a gunsmith try to fix it but have had no luck.

Pete, I would think hand feeding would be the ticket...no possible way of shaving lead as the bullet is pushed into the chamber by the bolt. ps had a great time in Damariscotta on the 20th, 22 rimfire at 100 yds. Cool but sunny. Wind out of 7 or 8 over the benchhouse. Waiting proved beneficial. Droped 3 points when I didn't wait. Took 2nd out of 24. 297x21X and 299-20X was first. Great turnout.

Pete,
The Turbo has the worst loading ramp ever designed. I've owned one some 5+ years. I am a left handed shooter and have rblp so I load blind....even worse. But, like anything in this world that is worthwhile......just learn to feed it by hand. Otherwise an autoloading 10-22 would sound real good! LOL. Practice. Practice. Practice. It still sucks but practice.

John M. Carper

Pete, I would think hand feeding would be the ticket...no possible way of shaving lead as the bullet is pushed into the chamber by the bolt. ps had a great time in Damariscotta on the 20th, 22 rimfire at 100 yds. Cool but sunny. Wind out of 7 or 8 over the benchhouse. Waiting proved beneficial. Droped 3 points when I didn't wait. Took 2nd out of 24. 297x21X and 299-20X was first. Great turnout.

Good Shootin! Sorry I had to miss it. The problems with loading the Turbo are two or three. 1. The loading port is relatively small and the bolt doesn't retract fully out of the port. 2. The loading ramp is not very well designed and does not present the rounds to the breech well and 3. The Eley Match has flat noses wich tend to lodge flat against the barrel aroubd the breech and with lube all over everything, makes for a sticky mess after not very long. hand loading is frustrating, at best.

Pete,
I have a Turbo and I shoot black box Eley in it and I don't have any problems with it feeding. I just shot it this past weekend and put about 100 rounds through it with no problem. I don't get in a big rush to chamber(sometimes by the bolt and sometimes by hand, by hand if I am just lollygagging around) the rounds so maybe that has something to do with it or maybe when I had it built, the builder set it up to operate smoothly. I do have to occasionally have to pick out a fired case out of the chamber when using other brands of ammo, so that and the accuracy of the black box stuff is why I stick with Eley black box.
Best,
Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

Huh. Can the maker correct the problem? Or, is there another bullet configuration that works smoothly, like a traditional round nose design? Probably the eley flat nosed is the best in your gun? If all else fails, break out the 37!

Good Shootin! Sorry I had to miss it. The problems with loading the Turbo are two or three. 1. The loading port is relatively small and the bolt doesn't retract fully out of the port. 2. The loading ramp is not very well designed and does not present the rounds to the breech well and 3. The Eley Match has flat noses wich tend to lodge flat against the barrel aroubd the breech and with lube all over everything, makes for a sticky mess after not very long. hand loading is frustrating, at best.

Back