Tuners!!!!

IR 50 site, Rules, pg. 23, 8.7 Sportsmanship.
And essentially as the rule has always been interpreted, if it’s distracting to other shooters, they are not wrong, you are.
Myself, I advocate a little common sense, a guy standing/sitting quietly is not an issue to me , one who does it 5-6 times a card....that’s a problem, as in most things a little common sense and , maybe, a polite query to your neighbor before hand goes a long way.
Also, have you ever attended a match where a couple guys, not shooting that well, get up and start cranking on their tuner a few rotations one way, then the other ? You think all the twisters have a well studied scientific approach to the methodology ?
Rules, by and large, tend to be there to address the lowest common denominator not the highest.
Lastly, it’s not MY rule it is THE rule, and frankly, it is rarely been seen as a controversial one by anybody I ever heard of.

Just as in IBS where shooters are to remain absolutely quiet between commence fire and cease fire with nobody allowed anywhere near the line.

So we agree that common sense should be applied and that I should not cry foul if I hear a noise or see something out of the corner of my eye, claiming it caused me to miss a dot. Am I understanding your position correctly or not?

So we agree that common sense should be applied and that I should not cry foul if I hear a noise or see something out of the corner of my eye, claiming it caused me to miss a dot. Am I understanding your position correctly or not?

Yes, and I have never seen nor heard of any situation resembling that.
Usually somebody is inadvertently doing something and a simple mention after a card resolves the issue......that’s it.
These things take on a life of their own on forums, rarely seen in real world settings.
Most matches usually have some form of “ you cannot bother fellow shooters” without going nuts, don’t they.
About the only time I have seen attention to the rule that was a bit much, a couple places do not allow you to leave the bench until cease fire is called which is also no huge deal.

Last edited:
Yes, and I have never seen nor heard of any situation resembling that.
Usually somebody is inadvertently doing something and a simple mention after a card resolves the issue......that’s it.
These things take on a life of their own on forums, rarely seen in real world settings.
Most matches usually have some form of “ you cannot bother fellow shooters” without going nuts, don’t they.

That takes us back to using common sense. It seems logical that if tuners are allowed, that using them to tune would also be allowed. Just common sense.

That takes us back to using common sense. It seems logical that if tuners are allowed, that using them to tune would also be allowed. Just common sense.

That’s absolutely right, just what I did.....a couple years ago.

some people, very few

I don't think anything distracts the great shooters. A naked lady could be dancing on top of the bench next to them & I doubt they'd notice. You've seen them, the concentration is incredible.
If the range has a problem with their benches that any little disturbance in the bench bothers the guys or gals next to them then they need to fix the benches. Period.
If you're disturbed by what someone else is doing to their tuner next to you then you need to work on you.
We've all got alot invested in this & should be allowed to try & get the best results we can. Whether successful or not. Discretely of course.

Keith

seem to try to make thing as difficult as they can for everyone else. I agree 200 percent with what you say here. Some folks need to work on themselves a lot! The rest of us grew a pair a long time ago.

Pete

seem to try to make thing as difficult as they can for everyone else. I agree 200 percent with what you say here. Some folks need to work on themselves a lot! The rest of us grew a pair a long time ago.

Pete

Pete, didn't you retire from this to become a kids birthday clown or some such ?

Speaking of rules. Showing disrespect for another on this forum is a breach of the rules, Tim.
I haven’t seen a rule that states you can’t turn the tuner during a card, match, tournament. And if you can’t twist a tuner why not just abolish tuners? Fat chance of that. I guess you can just obey and see everyone else obey the rules you choose to enforce. And don’t speed on your way to and from the range. That’s a rule too. Higher up God says Thou shalt not covet.

Speaking of rules. Showing disrespect for another on this forum is a breach of the rules, Tim.
I haven’t seen a rule that states you can’t turn the tuner during a card, match, tournament. And if you can’t twist a tuner why not just abolish tuners? Fat chance of that. I guess you can just obey and see everyone else obey the rules you choose to enforce. And don’t speed on your way to and from the range. That’s a rule too. Higher up God says Thou shalt not covet.

Francis, always great to hear from the one guy that’s never shot a rimfire match in his life.
I’m sorry, I thought I heard the birthday clown thing.....could be wrong.

Francis, you recently switch up on a couple prescriptions ???

Last edited:
Tim, Did you know that Henry The Navigator never went to sea and yet he designed the Sixteen Point Compass Rose, plotted many ocean routes, and sent men out in search of the New World.
The only difference in rimfire and centerfire is the noise level.
And no Mr. Pharmacist, I’m still taking my thyroid pill. Thanks for your concern.

Tim, Did you know that Henry The Navigator never went to sea and yet he designed the Sixteen Point Compass Rose, plotted many ocean routes, and sent men out in search of the New World.
And no Mr. Pharmacist, I’m still taking my thyroid pill. Thanks for your concern.

I do not wish to enter into your contest here but in the interest of people that may not know, I need to set the record straight.

There are many, many differences in CF and RF.

The example you gave about the Navigator may be true but it is not the norm.

Very few CF shooters join the ranks of Rf shooters and become instantly successful. There is a learning curve just as it is with going from RF to CF.

TKH

Yes Francis, AND I knew Henry the Navigator and you’re no Henry the Navigator.

P.S. he never shot higher than a 247.

I do not wish to enter into your contest here but in the interest of people that may not know, I need to set the record straight.

There are many, many differences in CF and RF.

The example you gave about the Navigator may be true but it is not the norm.

Very few CF shooters join the ranks of Rf shooters and become instantly successful. There is a learning curve just as it is with going from RF to CF.

TKH

True dat, friend Harper, true dat.

I'd be willing to bet

One could put a so called Rimfire tuner on a centerfire rifle and tune the barrel with it.Tuners are all about weight, Period.

Pete

One could put a so called Rimfire tuner on a centerfire rifle and tune the barrel with it.Tuners are all about weight, Period.

Pete

You answered a question nobody asked there Pete, yes, a tuner is a tuner, the issue is/was how much ongoing adjustment may they need.
Zero need to answer this, I care not for your theories on the subject.

Don't read them

You answered a question nobody asked there Pete, yes, a tuner is a tuner, the issue is/was how much ongoing adjustment may they need.
Zero need to answer this, I care not for your theories on the subject.

Tim,

The easiest way to avoid my theories is not to read them.

Pete

Good luck on the new gig

Attachments

• 2CFAA3F9-3C04-441E-B1B8-BB61E1979D48.jpg
    2CFAA3F9-3C04-441E-B1B8-BB61E1979D48.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 507
A guitar tuner is a device that measures the frequencies produced by vibrating strings on an electric guitar or an acoustic guitar. It then aligns those measurements with notes in a scale. If the frequencies match a particular note, the tuner will display the name of that note on an LED display

What's a guitar and how does it shoot? Lol!

Back