Tuners some info.

Keith, yours is a common misconception. Although temperature of the barrel and ammo have a small affect on tune, the main reason our rifles go out of tune is due to changes in the weight of the atmosphere...

Gene,
I expected someone to counter with the air mass and atmospheric pressure arguments.;) You are completely correct that air has to be pushed out the barrel along with the bullet. But the effect of changes are so small that the effect is insignificant.

A back-of-the-envelope calculation (from a thread sometime last summer): the difference in mass of the air inside a 0.308” barrel 22’ long with a change in temperature from 20C to 30C is about 0.016 grains. Thus the changes caused by the change in air mass should be about the same as that if the bullet were 0.016 grains lighter. That is 0.014% difference for the 118 grain bullets that I shoot. Muzzle velocity, for instance, would go from 3050 fps to 3050.4. Not enough to affect tune.

Lets check the possible effect of atmospheric pressure, too. 2 psi would be a very large local pressure change. A 2 psi drop would change the pressure difference driving the bullet out the barrel (50,000 psi chamber pressure minus atmospheric pressure) by only 0.004%, and increase muzzle velocity from 3050 to 3050.1. Again, not large enough to make a difference.

I should check the effect of humidity on air mass, too, but from the above calculations, it just doesn't seem worth it.

These effects are much smaller than the ES of even extremely accurately weighed charges.

Cheers,
Keith

Caveat: Dynamic pressure increases with the square of velocity, so hypersonic bullets CAN benefit from light gas, such as helium, in the bore.

To geo.urlich..... I'm just curious, so don't take this in wrong way. I'm not being critical of you or anyone who would do this expansion test. I was just wondering why you would set up and test something like this when there is so much precise info available on thermal expansion of materials? Did you think there is something that has been overlooked in the science, when it comes to the expansion of steel?

To mks...You are beating your head against a wall! Bench rest shooters don't use tuners and such to produce an effect on numbers - especially insignificant numbers - they use these things because of theories. If theory says the air mass in front of the bullet will affect vibration and the tuner will affect vibration then the tuner will have an effect! If you think any reduction in group size is significant, then you can consider any change in conditions surrounding the gun as also significant! Those very small numbers, which are essentially zero, just ain't zero in the mind of a benchrester!

Mr. Tucker,
You don't know Gene Beggs as I do. He could be called one of my competitors. I sell the Aussie windflags and he sells windprobes. He sells a tuner as I do. Gene is one of the nicest guys that I know in shooting. I wanted one of his windprobes and was hoping that I could get him to bring them to a match in Seymour, Tx. Gene was not going to be able to shoot, but he drove 200 miles each way to deliver the probe. He didn't have time to stay and visit, but he brought them to me.
Mr. Tucker, that is just the way Gene is made up. He is very serious about accuracy and gives freely of what he knows. He works as hard at it as he did when he was both a World Champion stunt pilot and also a member of their Hall of Fame. Gene knows the same thing that I do about our products, they work and they help pay for our shooting habits.
Butch

I don't know Gene well, but I've visited with him at Kelbly's a few times. He is just exactly as Butch describes. I can't imagine meeting a nicer gentleman than Gene Beggs.

Hal Drake had never beaten me until the 2008 IBS Nationals in Ohio and he had a Gene Beggs tuner. That's why I got a Gene Beggs tuner. Larry Feusse whipped up on everyone with his rifle with a Gene Beggs Tuner. Does this mean we could not have won without a Gene Beggs Tuner? I don't know but I'm not taking mine off to find out until it's declared illegal.

And now a confession: If you go back five or six years in benchrest central archives you won't find anyone who knocked the tuners and Calfee more than I did. Gene Beggs was a blow hot and didn't know nuthin and Calfee was worse. I was winning without a tuner and I was cocky until I met up with some guys with tuners and a bit of experience with using a tuner.
So, PTucker, you are just like I was a few years ago. Now, you can do as I did or do as you say.

Actually Francis, that was one of my own tuners. But, I'll be the first to admit that I've had my butt whupped by just about every contraption imaginable, even Gene's tuners!!!:eek:

Objection!

To mks...You are beating your head against a wall! Bench rest shooters don't use tuners and such to produce an effect on numbers - especially insignificant numbers - they use these things because of theories. If theory says the air mass in front of the bullet will affect vibration and the tuner will affect vibration then the tuner will have an effect! If you think any reduction in group size is significant, then you can consider any change in conditions surrounding the gun as also significant! Those very small numbers, which are essentially zero, just ain't zero in the mind of a benchrester!

Pacecil, I realize your post above was directed to MKS but it will be read by everyone here on the forum, and I object to your statement,

"Bench rest shooters don't use tuners and such to produce an effect on numbers - especially insignificant numbers - they use these things because of theories. If theory says the air mass in front of the bullet,,,,,,,,"

I assure you, I do not use a tuner because of theories; I use a tuner because of facts. I have proven conclusively that my tuner design works and works exactly as I say it does.

Gene Beggs

Last edited:
Mr PTucker, I don't know you and you don't know me, but I have know Gene Beggs for about 36 years! If Gene told me a roster could pull a freight train, I'd hook him up!

Guys,
I totally agree with Butch Lamberts assessment of Gene! Now as far as Gene's tuners, I don't think they work! I just ordered my 5th or 6th Beggs tuner from Gene today 'cause I think they are pretty! :D

Best,
Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

Gene,
I expected someone to counter with the air mass and atmospheric pressure arguments.;) You are completely correct that air has to be pushed out the barrel along with the bullet. But the effect of changes are so small that the effect is insignificant.

A back-of-the-envelope calculation (from a thread sometime last summer): the difference in mass of the air inside a 0.308” barrel 22’ long with a change in temperature from 20C to 30C is about 0.016 grains. Thus the changes caused by the change in air mass should be about the same as that if the bullet were 0.016 grains lighter. That is 0.014% difference for the 118 grain bullets that I shoot. Muzzle velocity, for instance, would go from 3050 fps to 3050.4. Not enough to affect tune.

Lets check the possible effect of atmospheric pressure, too. 2 psi would be a very large local pressure change. A 2 psi drop would change the pressure difference driving the bullet out the barrel (50,000 psi chamber pressure minus atmospheric pressure) by only 0.004%, and increase muzzle velocity from 3050 to 3050.1. Again, not large enough to make a difference.

I should check the effect of humidity on air mass, too, but from the above calculations, it just doesn't seem worth it.

These effects are much smaller than the ES of even extremely accurately weighed charges.

Cheers,
Keith

Caveat: Dynamic pressure increases with the square of velocity, so hypersonic bullets CAN benefit from light gas, such as helium, in the bore.

Keith, no doubt, I have thoroughly pissed off you, Pacecil, and several others, but I got your attention; didn't I? :D Okay,, here we go!!!

First, I must say that I have been through this many times with such notables as Dr. Jack Jackson, the editor of Vaughn's book, "Rifle Accuracy Facts", Jim Borden, who needs no introduction, and Bryan Litz, Chief Ballistician for Berger Bullets. Of these three gentlemen, only one agrees with me; Bryan Litz.

I was unable to discuss this with Harold Vaughn before he passed away, which is a pity because he was a pilot and would have understood what I'm talking about.

I'm not an engineer, I'm a retired airline pilot who spent sixteen years flying small aircraft and sixteen years flying the Boeing 737 for Southwest Airlines. I have a keen understanding of atmospheric conditions, airborne objects, and understand how powerful air can be when compressed.

Keith, in your first paragraph above you said,

"
Gene, I expected someone to counter with the air mass and atmospheric pressure arguments.;) You are completely correct that air has to be pushed out the barrel along with the bullet but the effect of changes are so small that the effect is insignificant.

Oh? :eek: Insignificant? :eek: No,,,, the effect is hardly insignificant.

Keith, in your second paragraph you said,

",,,the difference in mass of the air inside a 0.308” barrel 22’ long with a change in temperature from 20C to 30C is about 0.016 grains. Thus the changes caused by the change in air mass should be about the same as that if the bullet were 0.016 grains lighter. That is 0.014% difference for the 118 grain bullets that I shoot. Muzzle velocity, for instance, would go from 3050 fps to 3050.4. Not enough to affect tune."

Keith, here's where you are headed off in the wrong direction; you're thinking of only the miniscule amount of air in the barrel and its weight, not the total weight of the atmospherie which fills every open container.

You are also talking about muzzle velocity and not elapsed time in the bore which is actually what determines bullet exit timing.

If we had to deal only with the miniscule weight of the volume of air contained in the bore, it would indeed be insignificant but that air must be compressed and pushed out ahead of the bullet against the weight of the atmosphere. :eek: And a bullet accelerating down a 22" sealed cylinder from zero to mach 2.7 is one helluva' compressor. The heavier the atmosphere, the greater the drag on the accelerating bullet, the greater the drag the slower the acceleration. Indeed, the bullet may be exiting at the same velocity but have a shorter elapsed in-bore time because of reduced atmospheric drag and the fact it accelerated quicker.

Later

Gene Beggs

Last edited:
will this discussion include a co mingled aerodynamics tutorial?

Hal, of course we can get along! :D Those who know me well will tell you, I'm easy to talk to and have an open mind. When someone proves me wrong about something, I'm delighted! I want to know the truth and I realize that in many cases, my way is not the only way and sometimes, not even the best way. :eek:

I'm so sorry you do not have time to come out and shoot in the tunnel, but I understand. If you should ever have two or three days to spare, come on out. I would love to visit and shoot with you. In the meantime, we will just have to do the best we can with the written word here on the forum. :)

Hal, it has been my experience that when experts disagree, it is often because they are talking about two different things; I think that is the case with you and me. You are talking about beyond the muzzle and I'm talking about behind the muzzle tuners. Right?

Hal,, in your post above, you said, " I have my belief's about tuners and you have yours."

Yes that's true, but would you mind explaining to me how you believe beyond-the-muzzle tuners work? Bill Calfee was never able to explain it to my satisfaction. :rolleyes:

I experimented with beyond-the-muzzle tuners but found them impractical for 10.5 pound LV and Sporter category rifles.

Keep talking; I and many others are listening with great interest! :D

Later,

Gene Beggs

Hal, it has been my experience that when experts disagree, it is often because they are talking about two different things; I think that is the case with you and me. You are talking about beyond the muzzle and I'm talking about behind the muzzle tuners. Right?

Come on Gene, don't call "CHOKE" an expert.:eek::eek:
As it is now we gotta sit 2 benches away from him cause of the size of his head....:D

I use tuners modeled after Hal's original design, made by Sid Goodling. I use 6 ounces on the HV and 4 ounces on the LV gun and 4 ounce on my 30X47 Hunter gun. The hunter gun needed very little movement off of the "neutral" or beginning setting while the lv and hv needed a little more. There is no question in my mind that they work.

To that fella that wants to argue about Gene's tuners winning....I think a friend used Gene's tuner, that I gave him to shoot 3 25X targets in a row. What have you won????

DA test

I once ran an experiment to test the density altitude theory on the effects of internal balistics. I knew I would be going to Raton (8000+) and devised this test. A newly barrelled sporter was tuned up at 1000 ft and the temp, bp, RH, and chrono numbers were recorded. The primers and powder were sealed air tight for the trip. When the atmospherics matched at Raton everything was duplicated including the exact chrono distance from the muzzle. The only thing that was different was the DA. The gun grouped the same and there was ZERO difference in all of the chrono numbers. Not a single digit change in ES, AVG or SD. That really suprised me. After that I quit watching DA. While there was certainly a change in compressabilty, it did not appear to effect the internal ballistics or grouping at all. Probably down in the noise in the overall scheme of things related to state of tune.

Last edited:
Jerry,
There you go again, screwing up a perfectly good conjectural discussion/friendly argument by interjecting real, hard data. Shame on you! :D Don't you realize we were on the way to the first documented case of perpetual motion?

Boyd

FWIW, I pay no attention to atmospheric conditions. I twist the tuner (and change the load occasionally) when the target tells me to.

I haven't used my tuners much

but I don't know if I trust my shooting ability to know if my rifle is shooting well and I am not, say in a stiff switchy breeze in the middle of the day. That is the reason I could see for relying on tuner adjustment with some sort of system to know where one should be. Fear of the unknown I guess.

Instead of trying to prove there is no way to develop a system other than relying on shooting to prove where one needs to go, I would pefer to be able to use some sort of tools or gauges to tell me what I should do. That would tell me how good my shooting ability is I am thinking.

now that I have a tuner working on what will be my primary rifle I will try to do both, letting the tuner tell me and density altitude. Retirement has it's benefits one would hope.

Gene...You say...Keith, here's where you are confused. You're talking about the WEIGHT of the column of air in the barrel and not the FORCE necessary to compress that air
You further say several times it's not the weight but the force required to compress, but then you explain it's the weight that causes the force! So, it is the weight!

But all this is now cleared up by the Jerry H post. It's not the weight, or the force, it's neither - there isn't anything here that is having any effect!!! This may be something that occurs only in the mind of the shooter!

Gene,

Thanks you have made a complex topic very clear.

Octopus

Instead of trying to prove there is no way to develop a system other than relying on shooting to prove where one needs to go, I would pefer to be able to use some sort of tools or gauges to tell me what I should do. That would tell me how good my shooting ability is I am thinking.

While following this interesting thread, I began thinking, "Wouldn't it be nice if you could simply make marks for known atmospheric pressures (DA?/barometric pressure?) on the tuner - adjust the tuner - go to a bench - and be in perfect tune?"

I suppose it couldn't be that simple.

Tony

Actually

While following this interesting thread, I began thinking, "Wouldn't it be nice if you could simply make marks for known atmospheric pressures (DA?/barometric pressure?) on the tuner - adjust the tuner - go to a bench - and be in perfect tune?"

I suppose it couldn't be that simple.

Tony

I think we are getting a lot closer to being able to do this. I believe there are some folks now who can do this, just as the tuners of race cars are able to get their engines tunes spot on by using Da guages. We've come a long way BABY! ;)

Back