Tuners Phase II

JerrySharrett

Senile Member
Tuners Phase II is what I call this increased interest in tuners. When we tried them in centerfire in 2005 was just a zit....and you know where some of them appear.

I think you all know what a sine wave looks like on paper. The two elements that control the size and shape of a sine wave is amplitude and frequency.

What you guys and gals are going to find in Tuners Phase II, is that with a proper barrel profile and enough weight (no-4 oz is not enough) is that you will reduce the amplitude and frequency to a point that the load window for a given, and fixed, load will be much larger than a normal varmint taper barrel.

No, the barrel doesn't stop. Its vibration just becomes much more manageable.

Hey Jerry,

Another thing that has been banging around in my head is trying to understand is the wave "pattern" (or should I patterns) on the barrel. Varmint Al has always presented what seemed to make sense to me. He talks about many vibration patterns that are generated in a barrel when a cartridge is fired and a bullet travels down the barrel. I think he refers to them as Modes ... He diagrams 5 of them, but I believe he mentions as many as 9. I've always wondered how you choose which pattern to move to (or past) the crown.

Well it seems to me that what we maybe be actually dealing with is a wave pattern the is a combination of all of these modes. A sum total of the original waves PLUS all of the reflected waves that are formed by those waves. I think this is called a "standing wave" ... this is the single sine wave that we are trying to tune to ... a composite of all of the vibration patterns and their reflections.

This theory seemed to "sit well" in my mind .... does it makes any sense or have any credibility with the engineer type people out there?

Fred

Fred, you are correct in thinking there are are multiple vibration waves and they originate from multiple sources, like firing pin fall, etc. The sum of all these movements is what a tuner is having to control. The bottom line and the important point is where the muzzle is pointing when the bullet exits.

Just think of the muzzle as following the path of a sine wave, distance up and down (amplitude), and, the speed (frequency) the muzzle is traveling while the bullet is moving to its exit.

Some of these vibrations can be just accepted as noise in the system because they are there and can not be eliminated completely, nor do they have a significant effect on accuracy.

Jerry

That, and the fact that the bullet has already gone through the target by the time some of this even happens.
What you just said in your initial post seems to be at odds with Bill Calfee. He asserts that you can indeed stop the muzzle with the correct weight for that barrel, and if you accomplish this, will need no further tuning with your ideal load after that.
I, for one, am willing to try this. I already have a barrel prepped at 4 pounds, and, hope to be at the range this week end.
Many shooters ask me why I would bother, since what I have been doing for the past three years works pretty darned good. The answer, good ideas are worth trying. But, if I still have to tweek the Rifle, I would just as soon use what I have now. After all, that was the entire concept behind my tuner design in the beginning. Have something that was user friendly at the firing line, allowing me to use the same load, seating depth, and neck tension all of the time, and just fine tune with the tuner, at the line, where it counts.
Time will tell..........jackie

I'm not an advocate of the "stopping the muzzle" theory. I believe that we are more setting up a "timing" relationship between when the bullet exits the muzzle and the position of the barrel at that time.

Again .... in my opinion, the barrel needs to be in some "upward" swinging motion. The faster moving bullet exiting sooner when the barrel is not quite as high, and the slower exting the barrel when it is lower.

This is the only way that two bullets of different velocity could hit the same POI ... that's what I think at least.

This is also what would tighter groups over a wider set of velocities.

Fred

Tuners Phase II is what I call this increased interest in tuners. When we tried them in centerfire in 2005 was just a zit....and you know where some of them appear.

I think you all know what a sine wave looks like on paper. The two elements that control the size and shape of a sine wave is amplitude and frequency.

What you guys and gals are going to find in Tuners Phase II, is that with a proper barrel profile and enough weight (no-4 oz is not enough) is that you will reduce the amplitude and frequency to a point that the load window for a given, and fixed, load will be much larger than a normal varmint taper barrel.

No, the barrel doesn't stop. Its vibration just becomes much more manageable.
I personally think you are on the right track. But 4 oz. may indeed be enough -IF it's located at the right position. :D Course it might take more than 4 oz of material to get it there. :D

There are actually an infinite number of vibration modes, but the amplitude tends to drop off very quickly as the mode number increases.

The vibrations 'travel' at the speed of sound in the material since they are compression waves.

Bigmackey

I'm not an advocate of the "stopping the muzzle" theory. I believe that we are more setting up a "timing" relationship between when the bullet exits the muzzle and the position of the barrel at that time.

Again .... in my opinion, the barrel needs to be in some "upward" swinging motion. The faster moving bullet exiting sooner when the barrel is not quite as high, and the slower exting the barrel when it is lower.

This is the only way that two bullets of different velocity could hit the same POI ... that's what I think at least.

This is also what would tighter groups over a wider set of velocities.

Fred

You didn't quite say it the way you wanted (second para, second sentence) but we got it. :cool:

This is the only way bullets moving at different speeds could strike at the same vertical plane.

If the muzzle was "Stopped" that could not happen. except by "conditions {seen or unseen} or just plain ole luck" But we have been over this many times before. :D

The "muzzle device" vs "tuner" argument doesn't make sense. At least to me. It is in fact a tuning process we are trying to invoke isn't it? If so, why call it a muzzle device? Well yes, it is a muzzle device, but one being used to "tune" the bullet exist and muzzle movement. If it is something else, what is it?:confused:

Another thing bothering me is: in most all of Kathy's post lately he says "if the world doesn't end ......." does he know something else we don't know. If so, please post, I have a few things to do before that happens. :eek::eek:

Now where is my blow up doll. :p

That, and the fact that the bullet has already gone through the target by the time some of this even happens.
What you just said in your initial post seems to be at odds with Bill Calfee. He asserts that you can indeed stop the muzzle with the correct weight for that barrel, and if you accomplish this, will need no further tuning with your ideal load after that.
I, for one, am willing to try this. I already have a barrel prepped at 4 pounds, and, hope to be at the range this week end.
Many shooters ask me why I would bother, since what I have been doing for the past three years works pretty darned good. The answer, good ideas are worth trying. But, if I still have to tweek the Rifle, I would just as soon use what I have now. After all, that was the entire concept behind my tuner design in the beginning. Have something that was user friendly at the firing line, allowing me to use the same load, seating depth, and neck tension all of the time, and just fine tune with the tuner, at the line, where it counts.
Time will tell..........jackie

Jackie, I'm not at odds with Bill's thoughts at all. We are talking about the same thing just using different terms. I think you have banged on enough metal rods (shafts) to know you can't stop them from vibrating regardless what you do-unless you happen to melt them down into a liquid and keep them liquid.

I feel that in Bill's situation, using low velocity rimfire ammunition that is always the same velocity (+/- about 10 fps) that the barrel seems to "stop".

A friend of mine and a fellow Texican of yours just got back from the Cactus. He had a fixed formula for tuning. He, at the Cactus. like you at Rachels Glen, found a situation that was odd to what had been the normal happening. Why? The window was open, just not wide enough to accommodate the environmental changes that occurred in those instances. I feel that a better balance of barrel profile and tuner weight would have moved that window further open.

With a tuner, all that is happening is that the "window" just gets opened further. But it is still a window in that it has limits. Barrel weight, barrel profile, the barrels physical properties (spring, etc) all must be balanced with the tuner weight and its location to make the gun shoot. In all of this, the load parameters (powder type, weight, bullet jam, etc.) must also be kept constant or the whole window closes.

I have a 6-groove Shilen, a 5-groove Spencer and a 4-groove Krieger that were turned to the same dimensions. Using the same tuner, they all reacted differently to tuner adjustment. I don't think, knowing what we know now that a "cookbook" can be written that would allow a barrelsmith to produce the equipment (barrel and tuner combination) that would be a one size fits all.

All that being said, Bill Calfee, Bill Myers and others have come up with rimfire sporter barrels with a Schnabel on the end that come pretty close. (Rimfire Sporter class doesn't allow adjustable tuners.) But that is rimfire--low velocity-sub sonic and very predictable.

DUH .....

"and the slower exiting the barrel when it is lower" .... obviously meant to be when it's higher ..... wish my fingers would type what my mind is thinking.

Jerry .... you said "I feel that in Bill's situation, using low velocity rimfire ammunition that is always the same velocity (+/- about 10 fps) that the barrel seems to "stop". I've chrongraphed a bunch of rimfire ammo and I have found very few cases where the velocity of a given box is within +/- 10 fps ... even when I've separated cartridges by weight ... more likely to spread around 20 fps or even a tad more .... still not tremendous but not as good as 10 fps .... and I'm not going to even begin to "interpret" stopped or whatever ... that horse has been beaten so badly that it will never walk again.

Bottom line is though these tuners work for rimfire and we can't change loads ... I don't see why it couldn't "help" make a centerfire, where you guys can control the load, less subject to change when conditons change.

That's my thoughts ANYHOO ..

DUH .....

"and the slower exiting the barrel when it is lower" .... obviously meant to be when it's higher ..... wish my fingers would type what my mind is thinking.

Jerry .... you said "I feel that in Bill's situation, using low velocity rimfire ammunition that is always the same velocity (+/- about 10 fps) that the barrel seems to "stop". I've chrongraphed a bunch of rimfire ammo and I have found very few cases where the velocity of a given box is within +/- 10 fps ... even when I've separated cartridges by weight ...
That's my thoughts ANYHOO ..

Fred remember, "stopped" is relative and +/- 10fps is relative.

What were you chronographing anyway, Federal Lightening?

You mean to tell me that the Red Box Eley at $12/box is erratic?

I'll bet large sums of cash money that the Red Box Eley is closer than your chronograph unless you are using something like an Oehler 43 with the screens 16 feet or greater apart.

I do agree with the ANYHOO part though.

Tested maybe 6 boxes of Red Box (shot 3-4 groups of 10 from each) ...... over 30 boxes of Black Box and Match USA ...

Using a CED Millenium Chronograph set maybe 25-30 feet from the muzzle. I don't have my numbers with me here at work .... but I have posted my findings several times on the board.

Oh yeah .... BTW the Red Box is more like $15 now ...

Fred

Now Wait a Minute

The ONLY reason I am taking the time and putting forth the cost and effort to do this on a Centerfire Benchrest Rifle, is because I have been told that you can STOP THE MUZZLE on a Centerfire Benchrest Rifle, and it will stay in competitive tune regardless of the conditions.
In my opinion, if you have to do any tuning at all by the regular means, (this muzzle device is more or less fixed), a adjustable tuner such as what I am now using is superior, since I do all of my tuning with the tuner,right at the line.........jackie

Jackie, for short BR, I don't think stopping the muzzel will work as you think (always staying in tune). Here is why. When I was shooting the cerro safed unlimited barrels, there was never any verticle pattern. These would shoot big and round to tiny as the conventional tuning methods were used. Big was around .3 and small was around .1. These barrels were effectively equivilent to 3 and 4 inch crossectional diameter and therefore had very little vertical pattern in the off tune groups. I think that a LV rig has about .3 of verticle due to barrel/gun patterns caused by gravity and that is what is tuned by the various tuners designs. The other .3 of group dispersion is likely an internal ballistics issue. This internal problem is the one that I think drives everyone crazy. And it probably interacts with the gun/gravity induced verticle as well. I believe that tuners do indeed work, as I have tested them several times on BR rifles since the Boss came out. I wanted a wider, more stable tune which never panned out and I quit using them years ago. Using to tune mid match is certainly a good approach as you have proven many times but that was not what I as after. Personally, I want THE "lot" of powder that isn't finicky. And by the way, T wasn't it either. If you got T right, it would hold for an agg. Israelly 2015 in a 22 was as close as I have ever seen to tune in the spring and shoot all summer! Some of the other unobtanium powders were very easy to keep in tune as well. The key there, is to buy a bunch of powder you like and learn what takes to make it work. This probably relates to the internal group dispersion. As far as the beyond the muzzel thing, I believe the deep bored muzzel crowns that we tested years ago proved that you couldn't widen the tune window by keeping the crown parralell on axis either, which sorta fits the stopped muzzel concept that you are going to try. I look forward to hearing your results and regard your opinions with a good dose of credibility. There times that you just have to change the powder or load. I think it is generally agreed that 8208 series likes dry and V likes wet. Even though both can be made to work, it seems easier in their respective climates.

Last edited:
Jerry H

Jerry H, to add info to the discussion, when you were using BOSS type tuners what was the approximate weight and what was the barrel stiffness profile (LV or HV)?

The BOSS tuners were probably about 2-3 oz???

3-5 ounces & 32TPI. My reasoning was that if the same Boss design worked with all barrels and calibers, then it would work on a LV taper barrel 1.200-.875 from Bruno. The very last one I built was a light thin wall 1"x 5" Al. tube that I could put 1" steel collars on. This would extend the weight well past the crown. Never did try it though. I may dig it out someday if the other experimenters can ascertain that a stopped muzzel is really beneficial regarding a stable tune in the short range BR.

Jerry

That is what I found when shooting my barrels epoxied into the heavy Stainless Steel tube. The thing would never shoot that classic out of tune verticle string like a Bag Gun, it would just shoot big, round 10-shot .250 globs, even in a still condition..........jackie

Back