Tuners at the Super Shoot?

Truth be told...

Francis has seen a tuner. He and Paul took a pretty close look at one of mine at a local match a couple of years ago. They asked me if the setting was right.

I had two guns at the Super Shoot. One with and one without a tuner. I bought a Beggs tuner while there for the gun that needed one. Gene's design makes the most sense to me.

I sincerely hope that most competitors won't buy and use tuners.

Hal, it's O.K. to lighten up a bit. Francis' hobby is getting under people's skin.

Dick

I believe the statements you are referring to are being made by some shooters who do not compete in 100-200 yard Competition.

Thanks Jackie, I knew that.
I was just offering my view on what “I work at it” may have been referring to.
Couldn’t see the reason for all the fuss.
Jim

J Mckinnie, Check with Stuart Elliott and Phil Jones as to how their new tuners are working. You might need to be one of the Aussies that gets on the band wagon early.
Butch

Never say never

we'll see Butch.No doubt I'll have to try beating one sooner or later.If I can't beat'em just watch how quick I join them.

Just a simple question, have you ever particpated in a sanctioned benchrest match?

what does that have to do with my statement ??

never in florida for sure.

i think most people "know" me...i'm the guy building and shooting, in competition, ar based br rifles. i have three of them at this time. my best finish to date was a 5/6th...that means i beat all the 6ppc's from there down..with an ar.
my ability to observe has little to do with how much i shoot. my 6ppc has a .270 neck.....i was listening to jackie....

go jackie!

mike in co

HI Smitty ,
owning a Gene Bukys full mod for my 45 i have his contacts but i'd like to have his mail to congrat him on his 4th overall . fine guy .
thanks , regards

Pascal,
I hope you had a good flight home, especially since you were flying the plane. Hopefully Jean Pierre got your package.
Butch

mike in co.

Congradulations on competing and beating some bolt action 6PPC's with your AR. Since you have been to a match then you realize that benchest competition is about one thing and one thing only, who shoots the smallest groups, period. There are no style points or handicaps given for shooting something different

My comments here are actually not towards you, as you have already made up your mind that anybody who shoots a 6ppc in a custom action is a "lemming", but rather to the new shooters or those looking at getting into short-range BR. This is a competition and while it might appear from the outside to rather boring and staid with most people shooting what appears to be the same cartridge and rifle (I myself thought this at the beginning) once you get into it you will realize there are many nuances that can differentiate you from your fellow "lemmings". Also contrary to some people's thinking there is a great deal of constant experimentation going on by many different shooters so who knows in the future what might be the hot cartridge or tuner or stock etc. However, until such a cartridge or combination shows up and starts beating the 6PPC consistently and if you want to be a competitor and not just a participant, you would be seriously handicapping yourself by shooting anything other that a 6PPC.

In sum total what I am saying is that some people see lemmings but most others see smart competitors shooting the combination that gives them the best chance of winning.

gacamp,

my comment is more directed at those that whine at change...these are the true lemmings......they are afraid someone is going to actually change something for the better and then the lemming gets lost....does not know what to do.
no complaints with the 6ppc( i do own one)....just those that whine at change...like using a 262/264 neck and wasting all that good brass, doing more work to turn the necks,,,alll because"that is how it is done".

thanks
mike

do a search for gun pics...i'm pretty sure i posted one of the three there.

No disrespect Mike, quite the opposite actually .......

To be clear to these guys here, based on past pics and comments Mike has made, when he says "AR based" it is like saying my Panda is "Mauser based" because it is a bolt action !! The rifles he shoots kinda look like AR's but that is about as close as the get to a battle ready M16 or a semi AR15 !

Would that be fair Mike, they are pretty heavily modified, single shot, manual operation (no gas) etc etc .....

Bryce

Wow

it comes down to the fact that some need proof of something working,I'm sitting on the fence with the majority.Lemmings?could end up being the tuner followers.Coated bullets do the cycle of BR & to some it is good while others dont bother.The proof is found in record books,I'm sticking with the proven till the stats. change.
Is a tuner there for tuning humidity in the barrel now?
Or is this another riddle to be added to the others?
good luck & good shooting Jim :rolleyes:

Jim

I kinda disagree. The proof is not found in records, but instead, in how consistant a shooter is over a long period in winning aggs, Grand Aggs, and Two Gun Events.
Just my opinion,though.........jackie

Your right on Jackie (Agg's)

The only way to understand tuners, is to bite the bullet and get one. I didn't know how to link my thread so I cut and pasted. I don't mean to hijack this thread but this was my experience:)

My trip to the Texas tunnel

I just spent three days in west Texas with Gene Beggs at his tunnel. Well let me start by saying, “What an awesome facility”. I went there thinking my gun was perfectly tuned and my main purpose was to understand what powder charges and seating depth do in regards to vertical strings in my groups. I was hoping to also understand what his tuner was capable of doing and if it was repeatable throughout the process.

My first day started out by shooting my pet load. I quickly realized that I had about two bullets width of vertical. I made the necessary powder adjustment to reach one hole groups. Gene took the time to explain the theories of tuning by powder charges. I proceeded to load by his recommendation. I quickly realized that I was seeing a pattern with my groups, very small groups in two different nodes. During this session Gene did notice that I was over working my brass due to an improper sizing die. We decided this was a good point in time to shoot one of his rifles with his tuner mounted on it. He took the necessary time to explain how his tuners work and my first thoughts were, this is too simple. I proceeded to shoot his rifle and make tuner adjustments throughout this session. I again quickly realized that I was seeing the same patterns with these groups as I was seeing with my rifle, very small groups in two different nodes, with only tuner adjustment. I was able to repeat this several times. We decided to get back to work on my issues and turn some new brass and start fresh. While we were at the shop I had Gene install a tuner on my rifle, then back to the tunnel to fire form the brass according to Gene recommendation.

The second day we started off with some good brass and proceeded to shoot some groups with my new tuner. I shot my pet load and tuned it in with the tuner, less than a quarter turn and I was shooting zeros. I proceeded to move the tuner to identify the two nodes going from zeros to two bullets worth of vertical and then back to zeros, definitely a repeatable process. At one point Gene pulled out his other rifle with a tuner also installed on it for me to shoot. I remember thinking if this rifle shoots like the others, that I would be satisfied that Gene had found the answer to the vertical stringing issues in regards to load development. Sure enough, his two rifles and my rifle, shooting different powders, bullets and even cartridge designs were shooting the same, with the same repeatable patterns.

I believe that this tuner design and tuning technique will surely improve my shooting. I can make proactive adjustments at the bench without changing my load or going to the bench with two different loads. What I learned the three days in West Texas, out weighs the cost to get there. Only time will tell, stay tuned! Bryn Borras

While I have been following BR, it seems tuners have had more debate than anything I remember.

We were shooting at Unaka last year. I was loading close to Jeff Summers. (Someday maybe I can talk him into giving me some lessons.) Anyway, Jeff had this plain front rest and old rear bag. When the weekend was over Jeff commented that he had used practically the same load. It was an odd couple of days with rain, cold, and all kinds of changing weather. Now if Jeff had needed to change the load to keep his rifle in tune I know he knows how to do it without a tuner.

I've also seen Danny Hensley and Jackie Stogdill shoot their 30BRs in score matches - preloaded without tuners.

Hal shot a .15 something agg with his tuner on a 30BR.

Most of you know I'm playing around with a couple of tuners for myself. Don't compete a lot.

Let me get to the point. There's more than one way to skin a cat. And let's keep in mind there are several different tuner designs. I expect more will use tuners as a tool in the future. Only time will tell.

I appreciate the IBS and NBRSA allowing the use of tuners so that BR shooters can see what tuners can and cannot do.

Michael Turner shoots a 30-30, and does quite well from what I know. I like that for some reason.

Tony C

Last edited:
No disrespect Mike, quite the opposite actually .......

To be clear to these guys here, based on past pics and comments Mike has made, when he says "AR based" it is like saying my Panda is "Mauser based" because it is a bolt action !! The rifles he shoots kinda look like AR's but that is about as close as the get to a battle ready M16 or a semi AR15 !

Would that be fair Mike, they are pretty heavily modified, single shot, manual operation (no gas) etc etc .....

Bryce

lets make it real clear...just like i said...my rifles are ar BASED AS IN $350 ACTION,NOT CUSTOM BOLT ACTION ($800-1200). honestly if you were to show a benchrest rifle to a hunter only, he would say WTF IS THAT ?
not sure if you were just talking to hear yourself talk or what....

if someone shoots a rem 700 in BR, would it be fair to say "they are pretty heavily modified, single shot, manual operation (no gas) etc etc ....."

something i'm missing ???

mike in co

Back