Trimmers... trimmers conundrum

Migs

Friends:

I have two trimmers: The "Rolls Royce" by Wilson, and the RCBS. For those of you that are not familiar, the Wilson requires the spent case be inserted into a die before it is inserted on the trimmer. The Wilson case remains stationary while the trimming occurs. On the RCBS trimmer the case is grabbed by the back of the case with a clamping action, then the trimmer handle slides into the trimmer frame and the case mouth against the trimmer blade. As the case mouth spins against the trimmer blade, the RCBS supports the case mouth. (The Wilson does not support the inside of the case mouth) Rotating handles in both trimmers then trims the case rim.

My question is which is better? The RCBS lets you rub polish cotton against the case as you trim it, thereby saving time, whereas the Wilson looks cooler.

What are your recommendations in this regard? Am I missing something? Someone tell me why I should use the Wilson too.

Thanks for your comments, advice and opinions amigos,

Migs

Last edited:
The RCBS case trimmer uses pilots to support the case neck while trimming. The pilot has to have clearance in order to work properly. This clearance allows the case to be slightly canted in the case holder and still work in the trimmer. There is no clearance in the Wilson case holder, the case is a press fit to the holder. The Wilson trimmer will give more consistant results.

Last edited:
I really like the "Tri-Cut" that I have. Made in Hamilton, MT, I think, and hopefully still available. It has three individually adjustable cutters and trims to length, chamfers inside and outside in one setup. It has a mandrel. They are (were) sold in two models, could be installed on an RCBS and something else. I made the frame and spindle setup for mine and it works very well.

Yes ,there are

Friends:

I have two trimmers: The "Rolls Royce" by Wilson, and the RCBS. For those of you that are not familiar, the Wilson requires the spent case be inserted into a die before it is inserted on the trimmer. The Wilson case remains stationary while the trimming occurs. On the RCBS trimmer the case is grabbed by the back of the case with a clamping action, then the trimmer handle slides into the trimmer frame and the case mouth against the trimmer blade. As the case mouth spins against the trimmer blade, the RCBS supports the case mouth. (The Wilson does not support the inside of the case mouth) Rotating handles in both trimmers then trims the case rim.

My question is which is better? The RCBS lets you rub polish cotton against the case as you trim it, thereby saving time, whereas the Wilson looks cooler.

What are your recommendations in this regard? Am I missing something? Someone tell me why I should use the Wilson too.

Thanks for your comments, advice and opinions amigos,

Migs

other units out there, but the Wilson is:
1) more rigid
2) square
3) infinitely adjustable
4) usable for just about EVERY cartridge. Maybe not 50 BMG.

Yes, each parent case requires a shell holder. But for the average BR shooter that means maybe 3 holders, PPC, BR, and 308. That alows something approaching 30 different cases to be held and trimmed. Add a 30-06 to that mix and the number compounds huge.

By the best first and don't look back

David

Very good comments all, so let me throw this back at you:

While a "square cut" is mentioned, later in the sequence one manually (and I might add not-so-perfectly takes a "hand" tool to chamfer the inner and outer rim of the case mouth. This seems to throw all perfection out the window. Or is there a Wilson cutter for the outside and inside chamfer too?

Migs

Use the Wilson chamfer tool for the inside of the neck, debur with a piece of steel wool wrapped around a cleaning brush. The outside chamfer isn't critical. The Wilson Chamfer Tool comes in two angles.

Don't forget the Lee. It is guided by the neck and the primer hole. Works great. You can use it by hand power of get the case holder that fits a cordless drill. They don't/didn't have one for a ppc but you can get the one for the 243 WSSM and grind a tad off the tip to the exact length you want to trim to. Cheap too.

Donald

Another option

I purchased a Possum Hollow cutter that uses the shoulder of the case to index from and I like it very much. It is fast and very easy to use. It uses an end mill cutter inside to do it's work.

Considering one has to trim cases a few thou shorter than the actual chamber length, how can a few tenths slant be an issue? I have several trimmers, including a Wilson, with upgrades and I like it but it is a "Process" to use.

I was going to link you to Sinclare's web site with the tricked out Wilson stuff, but could not find it.

Wonder if the Brownells take over if it was dropped? If it was, to bad. It sure helped to make a great trimmer the best, I've ever used.

Trimmer

If U would consider power and case volume how about the Giraud Power Trimmer. One pass trims to length champfers in and outside neck.

Actually, if

Very good comments all, so let me throw this back at you:

While a "square cut" is mentioned, later in the sequence one manually (and I might add not-so-perfectly takes a "hand" tool to chamfer the inner and outer rim of the case mouth. This seems to throw all perfection out the window. Or is there a Wilson cutter for the outside and inside chamfer too?

Migs

you use a chamfer tool properly, you only "break" off the burr from the trimmer. You are using WAY too much pressure and removing WAY too much brass if you change the squareness of a Wilson trimmed case w/ the chamfer tool

alinwa:

Cool toys. I like your steel wool on a brush idea. I'll start with that one.

Migs

I've got a Wilson and like it very much. I don't want any sort of pilot inside my case necks that may scuff 'em, ding 'em, gall 'em, etc.

My guess

is it really doesnt matter. I have a wilson, forster and used the rcbs one like the forster. The rcbs and forster has the same basic issues as the wilson. Both had better have a straight die and head or it can be off a little. The forster relies on the extrusion and end parts to be straight, and I think they are. The wilson does the same and also relies on the chambered part to be right.

Personally I took the handle off the forster one, put a drill on it and use it. Why? Because it is easy to adjust, quick to use and works. This isnt rocket science guys.

I've got a Wilson and like it very much. I don't want any sort of pilot inside my case necks that may scuff 'em, ding 'em, gall 'em, etc.
Al, look on the inside of your necks with a bore scope. A ground and polished pilot like the Forester would smooth them if anything.

Back