tool post systems ??

M

mike in co

my lathe came with a rotating 4 way tool holder....ok not great.
i learned on a conventional tool post holder( rocker with a single over head bolt)
been looking at others and need some input.

piston or wedge ?

is aloris really "required" ( currently on sale for $500) or will a grizzly or similar do for a home gunsmith (on sale for $200)?

options ??

its a 13/40 lathe so i'm guessing i need a "200" series ?

thanks
mike

Aloris

I have been a Machinist for over 40 years, and believe that whoever invented the Aloris Style Tool Holder deserves a special place in Heaven. We have one on every lathe in our shop, except the big 54 inch X 42 ft Leblond.
For the hobbyist, you do not need the actual "Aloris" brand. One of the lower cost knock offs will do just fine............jackie

Last edited:
The wedge is better than the piton.

More contact area when a tooled is locked in and less distance from attachment to tool.
The piston pushes the tool outwards to lock it, while the wedge type pulls in in closer.

Mike

Get one of the lower priced ones and spend the left over money on tool holders. Without plenty of tool holders your not taking full advantage of the quick change system. It becomes a slow change system if you have to change tools in a tool holder. I have 12 for my 10"Nardini and 7 for my 14" Clausing.

Dave

I'm using a Phase II wedge type holder on my 13x40. It is the "200" series. It is quite well-made.

IMG_0059.jpg

Clemson

that is the one i'm looking at. its on sale this month at travers tool for 200 with 5 tool holders.( they also have the aloris for $500 with 4 tool holders)

Way back when we chatted on "usenet", I got lucky and bought an Aloris wedge post and a bunch of toolholders, cheap. Up to 20 toolholders, now, and grab another whenever they pop up at auctions, etc. Most friends have bought an Aloris post and import toolholders.
I really hate the 4-way toolposts, the one that came with my 14x42 lathe is still unused.
You can probably get a "lantern" style post and toolholders real cheap on Ebay or at a machinery dealer. Can't remember the last time I used one.

Most friends have bought an Aloris post and import toolholders.

That is what I have at home. Check out the Phase II toolholders.....They are pretty well made, especially for the price. The Aloris tool post is a must-have in my opinion. The piston type doesn't repeat quite as well as the wedge type, but the difference is minute. If it came down to an Aloris piston type or an import wedge type because of cost, I'd buy the Aloris piston type.....only my opinion. Oh....the 200 series is good and rigid, and you can still see past it. Also, it is common, so you stand the best chance of picking up used holders.

-Dave-:)

mix & match

I bought a used Aloris BXA for my new 13" Taiwan made lathe. It works very well for me. I've had good luck with Phase II for other tooling. If you gotta have it new that might be a good option. If you're looking for name brand Aloris try calling used machinery dealers or fleabay. I'm now looking for a tool post for my 9"Southbend. Tired of the old rocker and enco USA made turret. Unless I find a deal on a used Aloris AXA, I'll probably get a phase II 100 size for my smaller lathe.
gunmaker

Here's some pretty good prices on the Aloris tool posts. I have an Aloris on one lathe and a DTM on the other. They both use the same holders. The Aloris seems to be the better of the two tool posts, but not enough better to replace the DTM with an Aloris. You'll probably have to mill the T slot adapter on the tool post to fit on your compound as they aren't a drop in.

Aloris AXA tool post $276.36

Aloris BXA tool post $337.46

Phase II BXA with 5 holders $189.95

Last edited:
thanks mike...saved me another 10 bucks over travers sale price!

Back