Tomball Results

jackie schmidt

We had another good turnout for our second Club Match of the season, 41 shooters, 10 in the Factory Class, 6 in the Modified Class, and 25 in the Benchrest Class.

Conditions were pretty tricky, up to about 10mph, with the usual Tomball mess. But, I must say, the Shooters handled them quite well, as noted by 13 shooters who stayed "clean".

The Results:

Factory:
Buddy Pullig.........248 12x
Jason Garret........239 6x
Kim Tindell...........238 5x
As a note, Buddy Pullig shot that excellent Factory Score with a 1998 vintage Winchester Varmint Model 70 IN 308. That is an excellent Factory Rifle Score.

Modified:
Glenn Oakes........250 11x:D
Faron Frederick....249 15x
Steve Stewart.....244 5x

Benchrest Class:
Catalin Loghin.......250 20x
Joe Duke..............250 20x
Wes Johnson.........250 19x (zombiekiller)
Vic Smith..............250 19x
Nick Marino...........250 18x (dead man walking):D
As a note, Catalin beat Joe Duke on the tie breaker, and Wes beat Vic on the tie breaker.

Thanks to all of the shooters who came out and supported The Tomball Club, I think everybody had a great time. Next Club Match is the first Sunday in June.

In the mean time , we can all get ready for our NBRSA Registered Unlimited and HV Gulf Coast Region Championships to be held at Tomball March 27-28..........jackie

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for a well run match. This match really has come a long way in the last couple of years. I think there may have been 6 or 8 benchrest rifles at the first couple of matches. Now there are 25 or so. Any time you can place in this bunch, you feel good.

Looking forward to June.

Joe

Last edited:
Thanks Jackie

I always love coming down to shoot at Tomball. It's a 4 hour drive each way, and it's worth every minute of the drive. You run a great shoot there, and you ALWAYS take the time to help us new shooters.

PS... GREAT shooting Buddy... that's one heck of a factory score!!!!

Last edited:
Just curious how many in the benchrest class were shooting 30's ?

Jackie, do you know the breakdown (roughly) ?

Mike

Jackie I live about 100 miles from Houston and am interested in your shoot. But all of my gun's weigh about 16.5 lbs. Is there a class that I can shoot in there? Even if it's just for fun.
Thanks
Terry Pohl

Terry

There are no weight limits on any of our classes.

The Benchrest Class rules are pretty simple. "any legal firearm".

Depending on the action and stock configuration, your Rifle might qualify for the Modified Class........jackie

Thanks for sharing the match with us, Jackie. I give a pat on the back to all the winners and look at that winning Factory score - Wow!

Adrian

Top 6 Breakdown

Just curious how many in the benchrest class were shooting 30's ?

Jackie, do you know the breakdown (roughly) ?

Mike

Top 6

Catalin Login 30BR

Joe Duke 30BR

Wes Johnson 30BR (Wes correct me if I'm wrong)

Vic 30PPC

Nick The Marino 30GR

Gary Walters 30BR

Trevor Payne wins a Tomball Gun Club 250 hat Pin!!!

I would like to congradulate Trevor Payne for earning a Tomball 250 hat pin in the "B"enchrest Class. Trevor shot clean scoring a impressive 250-12x.

This is quite an accomplishment concidering Tevor is only 11 years old!!! Way to go Trevor!!!:D

30br

My 30BR reamer is like Jackie's. It is the longer neck but still a zero freebore like the Robinett reamer. Case forming is a breeze. I fire form in an old Adams and Bennett barrel. Blow em out, neck turn em, and shoot em.

Joe

Benchrest Class:
Catalin Logain.......250 20x
Joe Duke..............250 20x
Wes Johnson.........250 19x (zombiekiller)
Vic Smith..............250 19x
Nick Marino...........250 18x (dead man walking)
As a note, Catalin beat Joe Duke on the tie breaker, and Wes beat Vic on the tie breaker.

Congrats to all the winners.

Joe

I am going to make a rash statement here, and I might even be castigated. But here it is.

I think which ever particular bullet "style" shoots better depends more on the quality of the components of that particular lot of bullets than it does the shape, length, or even weight of the bullet. (mind you, I am talking about 112-118 grn, 7 ogive vs 10 ogive.

Here is what I base it on. When we first started shooting 30's, we got some 112 BIB's that were really good. Capable of shooting "zero" groups with an alarming degree of consistancy.

The second batch we got, (in our opinion), did not seem to shoot quite as well. Really good, but it seemed that they did leave a little on the table compared to that first batch.

In the mean time, a fellow shooter had some left over 118 10-ogive BIB's that we decided to try. After a little adjusment, they shot just as well as that originol batch of 112's. We got all excited. I called Randy and ordered 2000. I also had 2000 112's on order that were just about ready to be shipped.

When I got the 112's. (the ones we are shooting now), they were equally as good as that first batch, so I got all excited about the 112's again, but was anxiously awaiting those 118's.

When I got the 118's, they did not seem to shoot as well as the originol ones that Geramo had left over. So, I decided that the 112's would be the hot ticket.

The whole point of this is, a 30 caliber might be very dependent on the jacket quality that is used at that particular time. Or even other components that the bullet maker is at the mercy of others in furnishing.

This all may be in our head. But at the level of accuracy that these 30's will shoot at when everything is "just right", it does seem like you can tell when things are just a tad worse, or better, when going from lot to lot with components.

It might even go over to the powder as well. Since we are dealing with small capacities, where a small amount equals a larger percentage as opposed to a larger case.

Right now, I am in love with 112's because the ones I have all seem to seek that X on a pretty consistant basis. Maybe other shooters can relate similiar stories. Or fables, if that be the case.:D.......jackie

I am going to make a rash statement here, and I might even be castigated. But here it is.

I think which ever particular bullet "style" shoots better depends more on the quality of the components of that particular lot of bullets than it does the shape, length, or even weight of the bullet. (mind you, I am talking about 112-118 grn, 7 ogive vs 10 ogive.

Here is what I base it on. When we first started shooting 30's, we got some 112 BIB's that were really good. Capable of shooting "zero" groups with an alarming degree of consistancy.

The second batch we got, (in our opinion), did not seem to shoot quite as well. Really good, but it seemed that they did leave a little on the table compared to that first batch.

In the mean time, a fellow shooter had some left over 118 10-ogive BIB's that we decided to try. After a little adjusment, they shot just as well as that originol batch of 112's. We got all excited. I called Randy and ordered 2000. I also had 2000 112's on order that were just about ready to be shipped.

When I got the 112's. (the ones we are shooting now), they were equally as good as that first batch, so I got all excited about the 112's again, but was anxiously awaiting those 118's.

When I got the 118's, they did not seem to shoot as well as the originol ones that Geramo had left over. So, I decided that the 112's would be the hot ticket.

The whole point of this is, a 30 caliber might be very dependent on the jacket quality that is used at that particular time. Or even other components that the bullet maker is at the mercy of others in furnishing.

This all may be in our head. But at the level of accuracy that these 30's will shoot at when everything is "just right", it does seem like you can tell when things are just a tad worse, or better, when going from lot to lot with components.

It might even go over to the powder as well. Since we are dealing with small capacities, where a small amount equals a larger percentage as opposed to a larger case.

Right now, I am in love with 112's because the ones I have all seem to seek that X on a pretty consistant basis. Maybe other shooters can relate similiar stories. Or fables, if that be the case.:D.......jackie

Jackie, I believe this is simply a barrel/tuning issue: also, as a general rule, the tens 'like' a LOT of neck-tension and JAM. The 118s which Catalin shot are from the same jacket Lot as your 118-10s, and I believe Joe's may be of the same litter also . . . but, I didn't look that up! :eek: Here's the deal: other shooters have called back, wanting, "MORE of that Lot" - it's mind-boggling thing for a bullet maker. :eek: Ya never know which jackets people are going to WANT more of - as often as it's a batch of jackets with 0.0001" TIR (exceptional jackets), it's the jackets which are right at the maximum J-4 TIR (0.0003") - it's 'go figure' thing . . .:eek: Over the years, most J-4 Lots have run 0.0002" or, slightly better - that's pretty good quality . . . and even maximum TIR J-4s are better than the best Sierra jackets [which I have used] . . . and you guessed it, people often wanted more of those!

When I leave home, for a tournament - either group or, score, I take whatever [bullets] I can get my grubby hands on (sevens/tens/112/118/116/123/125/etc.) . . . and, usually, don't embarrass myself . . . well, not too badly! :D I have no idea how to select 'killer' jackets . . . and don't believe that anyone does: if I could do THAT, I could REALLY get RICH! :eek: RG

Bullets

When I first started with the 30BR, I didn't know what to try so I got Randy to send me a box each of the 112-7's, 118-7's and 118-10's. I shot a bunch of the 112-7's and the 118-10's. Both shot well for me. I finally ordered the 118-10's and when I get tuned, they are real good. I have been toying with ordering a lot of the 112-7's to try again. I think that is what Scott Deal recently ordered.

I still have not yet shot the 118-7's. I know I would be better off just shooting the dikens out of the rifle until I learned it inside and out. :)

Joe

What other factors?

Are we all leaving out other factors? I know that we "TUNE" for this or that, but what about temp that day? or humidity? or heck.... are we even factoring in a wind switchy day? I am in no way guessing the wind ready capabilities of anyone, but couldn't that little switch be enough to "not seem to shoot as well as the originol ones that Geramo had left over"?

I am just beginning, and just now really understanding the factors of the wind on my projectile at 100 yards, but that pesky wind some times just confuses the heck out of me.

Back