To dot or not to dot in a 36x scope.(rimfire)

matchman

I was wondering if an 1/8Moa dot is to big for 50yd matches (1/4in at 50yd)
I have a weaver fine cross hair (no dot) and also a Sightron (on the way) with 1/8 dot.
Im thinking the weaver may be better for Rimfire and the Sightron for my 6PPC.
Any thoughts/ opnions ?

For 50 yrds at night, I need the 1/4" dot. Don't shoot nights anymore because of poor night vision. During the day an 1/8" is fine.

Here's my Leupold 36x indoors at 50 yards. It has a fine crosshair. The target backer slipped (out of the clips holding the cardboard) before I took the photo.

DSCN0154.jpg

I like it for it's precision, but my eyes are young and can focus easily. Your conclusions may differ.

Personally I prefer just a 1/8" dot. Or at least nothing touching the dot. Like the nightforce NP-2DD reticle. That said, with a choice of either fine crosshair with or without a dot, I'd choose with a dot because sometimes I find the fine crosshair a little blurry at the intersection.

I prefer the 1/8" dot. My eyes are old and the dot allows me to pick it up much fast. I'm so focused on the dot and target, the cross hairs seem to fade out.

At 50 yards a 1/8 min dot is 1/16th not 1/4. Anything larger than an 1/8 min dot can more than cover up the center dot on the ARA or PSL target leaving you scratching your head wondering where to hold.

I agree the NF NP2DD is about ideal reticle for the above targets. The Weaver T-36 with dot gets er done too. Oh by the way my eyes are less than perfect, by a substantial margin. bob

I recently purchased a top-of-the-line scope with cross hairs. My other scopes are all 1/8 dot.

After finishing this season, I'm sending the new scope our to have the 1/8 reticle put in.

Best,
Michael

All had better pay attention to what Bob Finger points out. A1/8 min dot only covers 1/16" at 50 yards. This is hardly bigger than your crosshairs. You may have trouble finding that size dot, especially against a black background!

Dots are pretty specialized. They are good for quick aiming at large targets and maybe better for poor eyes. They are not so good for accurately holding on very small target.

Last edited:
Since I very rarely find myself holding on the actual center of the bull I find that the dot helps quickly define the intersection of the crosshairs. I am blind in one eye and can't see out of the other so I need all the help I can get. Did I mention floaters ?? Fine CH are often lost in the floater haze whereas usually I can see the dot.

1/16th dot is my preference,it allows me to center the crosshairs on the center of the dot on both the ARA Target and PSL Target. It also seems to focus my eye to the center of the cross hairs. Thanks Fred

I use a Weaver 36 power fine cross hair 1/8 MOA dot on my Kimber 82 rusty. Works well.

The dot at 50 Yards is about the same size as the center dot on the ARA targets.

I like it.

Since I very rarely find myself holding on the actual center of the bull I find that the dot helps quickly define the intersection of the cross hairs. I am blind in one eye and can't see out of the other so I need all the help I can get. Did I mention floaters ?? Fine CH are often lost in the floater haze whereas usually I can see the dot.

I shoot a 1/8 dot also. But I do not always center it on the bull. I usually set the bull on the horizontal and rest it against the vertical , sometimes on the right side, sometimes on the left, and sometimes on the bottom,sometimes the the top. Whatever is working that day, am I the only one who does this ?. Take care, practice hard, shoot easy....

Last edited:
I shoot a 1/8 dot also. But I do not always center it on the bull. I usually set the bull on the horizontal and rest it against the vertical , sometimes on the right side, sometimes on the left, and sometimes on the bottom,sometimes the the top. Whatever is working that day, am I the only one who does this ?. Take care, practice hard, shoot easy....

I never hold center even if the conditions are calm. I use the center dot on the target as a reference point. I prefer either 1/16 dot or fine cross hair.

Joe

Last edited:
Back