To change a 10.5lb LV PPC into 30BR?

michaeljp65

I have a spare LV 6PPC that i was thinking of rebarreling to a 30BR. What are the disadvantages of a 10.5lb compared to a 13.5lb rifle? Not concerned in keeping it at 10.5lb as the barrel will be a few inches longer than my 20" ppc barrel. So it might be closer to 11lb or so. Apart from weight, i guessing recoil will be more? by much? will it jump in the bags more? The centre of gravity will be more forward than ideal, will that matter if i shoot whilst holding the rifle as opposed to free recoil? Or my other option is to get a new HV 30Br built at a $5K cost.

I bought a Change Barrel in 30BR for my 6PPC. And a barrel vise. Problem solved. It is a 10.5 lb LV with the weights not installed and a 13.5 pound HV with them in.

Bob

While it might not seem like much in theory, there is a noticeable recoil difference in a 10.5 pound 30BR and a 13.5 pound 30BR. After a Grand Agg, you will notice.

And yes, screwing a HV barrel onto a LV frame will make it front heavy. You will notice this with the butt stock wanting to hop out of the bag every now and then. Many Rifles have a weight system to counter this, but in truth, if you are building a 30 BR, out really should start with a stock that has the added material to help get the weight up to 13.5.

I have been there and done all of this. I am not trying to be discouraging, but VFS is EXTREMLY competitive. If you want to enjoy it and be competitive, you really should start with a dedicated Heavy Varmint Platform.

While it might not seem like much in theory, there is a noticeable recoil difference in a 10.5 pound 30BR and a 13.5 pound 30BR. After a Grand Agg, you will notice.

And yes, screwing a HV barrel onto a LV frame will make it front heavy. You will notice this with the butt stock wanting to hop out of the bag every now and then. Many Rifles have a weight system to counter this, but in truth, if you are building a 30 BR, out really should start with a stock that has the added material to help get the weight up to 13.5.

I have been there and done all of this. I am not trying to be discouraging, but VFS is EXTREMLY competitive. If you want to enjoy it and be competitive, you really should start with a dedicated Heavy Varmint Platform.

Thanks for your honest reply Jackie. I did have reservations in doing it on a LV stock as i didn't want to walk away from a match with a sore shoulder and saying "im not doing that again" Your reply emphasised that point. I'll have a chat to a gunsmith this week and get HV underway.

cheers

“I’m not doing that again” is exactly what I said after using my .30BR is a group match at Dublin Georgia. I finished well, even shot a .038 group, but went home feeling punished.There’s another aspect to this shooting a .30BR in an LV and that is the punishment you subject your scope to. That’s a lot more felt recoil for the scope. You’ll need double screw rings if you go that way and the scope itself may well suffer...

“I’m not doing that again” is exactly what I said after using my .30BR is a group match at Dublin Georgia. I finished well, even shot a .038 group, but went home feeling punished.There’s another aspect to this shooting a .30BR in an LV and that is the punishment you subject your scope to. That’s a lot more felt recoil for the scope. You’ll need double screw rings if you go that way and the scope itself may well suffer...

Thanks FB, i think i might use my 6PPC in the LV class for score and get a HV score rifle built. I was just shown an updated rule book by one of australias hall of famers. I was looking at an out of date rulebook, as i read it, i can use my 10.5lb LV group rifle in the LV score matches. And our HV score rifles are 14lb max limit.

I've had two LV 10.5 lb. 30BR's. Both used HBR taper barrels so the balance was pretty good. A nose heavy 30 (of any case size) is not a pleasant thing. That's why good HBR guns (10 lbs) have a lot of attention payed to balancing the gun.

I'd echo the sentiment about building a13.5 gun, though there more to it than hanging a bunch of weight in the butt. I converted a LV stock for use as a HV by removing filler material in the fore end and mixing tungsten powder with a thin epoxy to fill the void. With a 22" HV barrel and about 10 oz. of weight inside the butt (attached to an alum. butt plate), it handled like a dream.

Good shooting. -Al

I've had two LV 10.5 lb. 30BR's. Both used HBR taper barrels so the balance was pretty good. A nose heavy 30 (of any case size) is not a pleasant thing. That's why good HBR guns (10 lbs) have a lot of attention payed to balancing the gun.

I'd echo the sentiment about building a13.5 gun, though there more to it than hanging a bunch of weight in the butt. I converted a LV stock for use as a HV by removing filler material in the fore end and mixing tungsten powder with a thin epoxy to fill the void. With a 22" HV barrel and about 10 oz. of weight inside the butt (attached to an alum. butt plate), it handled like a dream.

Good shooting. -Al

Thanks for your reply Al,
If i was a handy man with a half decent workshop id have ago at doing like you did with the LV stock. But i re read our rules down here and i am able to use my LV PPC in hunter class for score 10.5 lb limit. I think i will get a HV 30BR built for the HV class and i could use it for another 2 class of BR if it weighs in at 13.5lb.

Worlds Record held by a 10 1/2lb LV 30cal.....

The 5 shot 100 yard world record is currently held by Michael Stinnett shooting a 30PPC (Grendle I think) and scored an eye popping .007!!! 30's can shoot very very small ask Jackie S!!! If you can take the punishment....:cool::cool::cool:

My first two score matches of this year I shot a LV 30BR. I am putting a new barrel on my HV and I do not have it tuned yet - so I took my LV rig. Here are my observations/experiences;
1. You do not get away with bad table manners shooting a LV rifle. Shooting a LV will magnify any flaws in your bench etiquette. (same idea applies with Hunter rifles too)
2. Recoil is more which messes with the "return to battery" position. It will take you a little while longer to get to the next target on a score sheet. Depending on your style of shooting this may or may not matter. Me, when conditions are "sporty :cool:" I like to shoot faster - very hard to do with a LV 30
3. A LV 30 (when tuned properly) will still shoot with the HV
4. #1 and #2 are slight handicaps - but those two items can be turned into an advantage if you practice with a LV 30 then go with a HV for competition.

Hope this helps with your decision

Stanley

My first two score matches of this year I shot a LV 30BR. I am putting a new barrel on my HV and I do not have it tuned yet - so I took my LV rig. Here are my observations/experiences;
1. You do not get away with bad table manners shooting a LV rifle. Shooting a LV will magnify any flaws in your bench etiquette. (same idea applies with Hunter rifles too)
2. Recoil is more which messes with the "return to battery" position. It will take you a little while longer to get to the next target on a score sheet. Depending on your style of shooting this may or may not matter. Me, when conditions are "sporty :cool:" I like to shoot faster - very hard to do with a LV 30
3. A LV 30 (when tuned properly) will still shoot with the HV
4. #1 and #2 are slight handicaps - but those two items can be turned into an advantage if you practice with a LV 30 then go with a HV for competition.

Hope this helps with your decision

Stanley

Thanks for your reply Apollo, With you LV and HV 30's can you still shoot free recoil? And im getting a HV Panda/Mcmillan edge 30BR built. I also found out i can use my LV 10.5lb PPC in our LV score matches.

Cheers

I do not shoot 100% free recoil - but I do not come close to pinning the rifle either on my LV and Hunter rifle (actually my HV is this way also - that way I just have to learn one technique). I want my shoulder touching, but not influencing. The way I check this is by placing my shoulder against the stock and while looking at the cross-hairs move my shoulder off the rifle. If the cross-hairs move then I have too much shoulder. Over many repetitions you will learn what this feels like.
Hope you enjoy your new rifle

Stanley

Last edited:
I do not shoot 100% free recoil - but I do not come close to pinning the rifle either on my LV and Hunter rifle (actually my HV is this way also - that way I just have to learn one technique). I want my shoulder touching, but not influencing. The way I check this is by placing my shoulder against the stock and while looking at the crosshairs move my shoulder off the rifle. If the cross-hairs move then I have two much shoulder. Over many repetitions you will learn what this feels like.
Hope you enjoy your new rifle

Stanley

Thanks mate,

I agree with all that's said about "balancing" the rifle but I watched my friend shoot a group target and the rifle jumped straight up a couple of times and slid straight back other times. I thought to myself...boy, that's gonna be a big group. Surprisingly, it measured .116!

Back