Thread spec. for front trigger guard screw, 700 ADL?

Boyd Allen

I am going to have to make some sort of a threaded sleeve to glue in a stock, and I need the screw size.
Thanks,

Boyd
(Yes, I really do need to get myself a thread pitch gauge.)

1/4-28 UNF is the action screws. I think it is either 8-32 or 10-32 for that little screw. I can go check in the shop

The front trigger guard screw is 8-36. Not common but available. Wayne

I guess on the long 722 floor plate the 8-36 would be the small hole in the middle not the front one.

Last edited:
Thanks, I have an old 40X RF stock that was inletted for a 722 floorplate. Sounds like that middle screw and I will be going to one of the local industrial supplies. I need to extend the threads on the existing screw and shorten it. Come to think of it, I can probably cut all the threads off and thread what is left the more common 8-32.

I have a 1" one I could send you if you want it. Trouble is it is shcs not a slotted head like the originals. Let me know if you want it. It is threaded all the way to the head. Wayne

Thanks for the offer. I think that I will try modifying mine to a 10-32, after I cut the threads off, since I have both tap and die for that size. I just need to check a chart and see what the appropriate drill size is.

The XP-100R & Seven 3/32" Hex drive #8-36tpi aft action screws are currently threaded approximately 5/8"-3/4" of the grip length compared to the early 700 ADL middle trigger guard screws that were threaded approximately 1/4".

A couple bucks from Brownells or Midway & a couple minutes the task is done.

If you feel that you must use a screw then why not a small wood screw? The trigger guard will not fall off if you do not use a screw.

Don

Thanks fellows. This place is a regular encyclopedia of gun related information. Some time back, on a whim, because I needed to extend the threads on a cap screw, I invested one of Harbor Freight's discount coupons and a small amount of cash in their best tap and die set, and it has the -32 pitch in the diameter that I need. Yes I know. You get what you pay for, but understand that I was fixing a single screw on a windage top, and now a few months later, this is only the second time that I have used it. My other adventure with a die was with a Polish one that is adjustable and was used to slightly reduce the pitch diameter of a barrel that someone gave me, to fit an early Viper that is a little smaller than a Panda, or current Viper production. So far, all of my adventures in to no lathe thread work have been successful. For the current one, I will have a friend face off a short piece of aluminum rod and drill it with a #21 drill and then figure out how to get it centered in a hand enlarged hole in my old 40X stock, so that I can epoxy it in place. The action does not have a hole for a middle screw, so with this, I will be able to secure the 722 style floor plate to the stock. Again, thanks for the help.
Boyd

Maybe an idea

Boyd, I might be misinterperting this but just attach to the screw add JB weld in the hole and put together. After it sets take the screw out. This way it should self center and be in the proper orientation.
Centerfire

Back