Thoughts on Lazzeroni Cartridges

NesikaPPC

A friend was talking about getting a different round (ie something faster, etc, etc) for hunting. He asked about the Lazzeroni cartridges, of which I have knowledge.

Does anyone know much about them? Based on the speeds, it looks like it may be hard on the throat / barrel.

Any thoughts?

I would think that the readily available Factory Ultramag series pretty well makes chamberings such as The Lazzeroni expensive conversation pieces.

Barrel life is usually not a big concern for a hunting only Rifle. Anything that puts 100+ grns of powder behind a 30 caliber bullet is going to be hard on barrels, regardless of whose head stamp is on the cartridge.

Last edited:
Lazzeroni

Ive got a buddy who has one I think in 7mm hunts whitetails with it. He flinchs so bad I don't see how he could hit a bull in the butt with it. Blow the fuzz of a dandelion at 50 yds. from muzzle blast. If you wat to shoot thru game longways its the rifle for you.

It the book Weatherby by Grits & Tom Gresham, Mr Weatherby admits you still got to hit them in the right spot;-)=

You need to make the shot without even blinking.

FWIW, there were also short action Lazzeroni cartridges...similar to the wsm family. The biggest advantage I can see is availability of good brass vs. the wsm and saum families, albeit not cheap.

The other consideration is barrel length. While the UltraMags and Lazzeronis do fine at 26", they shine with 28" - 30". I have a .300 Kong at 29.5" and you'd be surprised how much it'll outpace a 26" .30-378 Weatherby (and the case volumes aren't that dissimilar). But who wants that much tube on a hunting rig.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Lazzoroni cartridges

Me thinks this was already discussed in the book "Cartridges of the World"..................the big winner in barrel burn-out cartridges was won by Skip Talbot with his .338-50BMG. I think the barrel life was about 35 rounds. Don't remember the powder charge, but it was a LOT!

My friend had a Lazzaroni in the 30 caliber version and he liked it but the brass was not good at all. He is a long range guy and claims he will never chamber a rifle for a caliber you cant get or easily make Lapua brass for. I agree.

I think Skip and I know some other people used the 50 cal. spotter round to make a 338 on. John Siemen's had one in this area. I don't recall him ever putting on a second barrel. Powder charge to bullet weight ratio was out of whack. Back then our only choices were the 30-378 Wby case and the 416 Rigby to build on. Ah the good old days of surplus tear down powder, very few bullets and no options for brass.

Back