Thoughts on H&R Model 12

Explain

Let's try and stay on point here Petey, the conversation was initially about H&R actions before you're usual obfuscation.

How the H&R is any different, is my point, if you can Timmy. I bought an H&R years ago new from CMP. I know what they are.

P

Last edited:
How the H&R is any different, is my point, if you can Timmy. I bought an H&R years ago new from CMP. I know what they are.

P

I could invest a lot of time explaining t, but then I'd have to bill you for lessons.

I am leaning toward buying this, but a Cooper TRP was offered to me. McMillan, BR Stock, Harrell Tuner and a Weaver 36 Scope. Thoughts on that one?

Thanks, Bob

I am leaning toward buying this, but a Cooper TRP was offered to me. McMillan, BR Stock, Harrell Tuner and a Weaver 36 Scope. Thoughts on that one?

Thanks, Bob

Bob, if that's the one on RFC for $1550 GET IT NOW!!!! You've essentially bought the gun for $1250 which is a steal.
They're good guns. And a better platform than the H&R.

Keith

My TRP held its own in the local ARA league and not because the participants were poor shoots. None of us have pockets deep enough to afford a $3-$5000.00 custom rig. A lot of tricked up, rebarreled 40Xb's, rebarreled 52D's, even 1 older Hall rig. I took 2nd place in the state one year with it. Quite capable of turning in reliable 2200s+. Mine stopped being competitive when I used up the batch of Eley Match it loved, which I snagged just by luck. I got my TRP with a Sightron 36x40 and very nice 4.7 oz trigger on it for $1500. That was more realistic starting rifle for me, given I'm just a working stiff with 2 mortgages and a student loan for my daughter, who wont even come and visit now. Sorry for drifting off topic. Anyway, as is the case with many rifles, its all about having the dough to test and hopefully still be able to find that batch of ammo that works for it. If you look at the ARA league results, you can see precisely when I ran out of that ammo as the rest of my season as a contender abruptly ceased. Spent the entire next year sucking hind tit, not being able to find an affordable ($10-12.00/box) source of ammo that my rifle liked.

I highly recommend the 57M TRP. Don't let anyone tell you its a "also ran" rifle. Finding the ammo it likes and having the money to buy a case or two is paramount though. Without the right ammo, it is unfortunately a last place rig in a field where all your competitors have more money than you.

I am eagerly awaiting my backup rig, which was a factory 40xb to get rebarreled with a Shilen ratchet. Hopefully its get back in time to test some of this plethora of new ammo lots that have been showing up the last month of so. My fear is that by the time the smith finally gets it done, I will be right up against league start time with no ammo tested and the lots that are left, not being worth buying. He's had it since December 15th, but no word as to its status so far. I'm not the PITA pestering kind as that often proves counterproductive where you're trying to get work done at an affordable price, by a reputable smith.

Hoot

Last edited:
That is the one. Thanks for the input. I have a message off to the owner as it is 3 hours earlier there, so as soon as it is a decent time, I will call him. Ammo is not a problem, I have stock-piled 4,800 rounds of match ammo to try out. Does anyone know if there are 20 or more MOA bases available for the Cooper? I have E-mailed Cooper, but it is the weekend? I will want to mount a scope and shoot at Williamsport on the 200 yard Rim Rife Range.

Bob

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Cooper M57 TRP. I am looking forward to getting it and putting it and me though our paces. Does anyone know if I can get 20 or more MOA Bases for the rifle? Or 25 or so MOA rings like the Kelbly but for a 1" Tube". I plan to work up to shooting it at 200 yards.

Bob

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Cooper M57 TRP. I am looking forward to getting it and putting it and me though our paces. Does anyone know if I can get 20 or more MOA Bases for the rifle? Or 25 or so MOA rings like the Kelbly but for a 1" Tube". I plan to work up to shooting it at 200 yards. Bob

Congratulations on the Cooper.

You may or may not need the 20 or 25 MOA base. Some scopes have adequate elevation to easily reach 200 yards. Vortex & Sightron come to mind. However, if you're going to use Weaver or other scopes with limited elevation range, the 20 or 25 MOA base will likely be required.

Looks like I can get a Weaver / Picatinny Type Base for the Cooper from Ken Farrell or Warne or a Leupold Twist in mount and get Burris Signature rings with inserts for either.

Bob

Should have my TRP soon. Seller got my check.

I am going with the Warner Bases and Burris Signature Zee Rings. Should take care of me for 50 yards and 200 with a change of the inserts.

I have also order some additional Tenex and Midas+ Ammo through Clint Swigert and have access to an indoor range where I can shoot 50 and 100 yards with no wind to take that out of the equation with testing ammo as I am too new at this to be good at reading wind.

Bob

Well Bob,

Should have my TRP soon. Seller got my check.

I am going with the Warner Bases and Burris Signature Zee Rings. Should take care of me for 50 yards and 200 with a change of the inserts.

I have also order some additional Tenex and Midas+ Ammo through Clint Swigert and have access to an indoor range where I can shoot 50 and 100 yards with no wind to take that out of the equation with testing ammo as I am too new at this to be good at reading wind.

Bob

....we're waiting for an update??

Keith

Well, I got the rifle and I got Multiple Boxes of Tenex and Midas+ Ammo in various lots to test. I am hoping to finally get to the range this week, but it keeps going from high 60s to snowing and now we are supposed to get a foot of snow on Tuesday. Once I see what shoots best, I am going to order a bunch. All the lot numbers I bought have good volume inventory to get more of, at least at this time. I have also received my Rim Thickness Sorting Gauge as well as the Bearing Service Gauge that someone on the site recommended. I have started sorting ammo but type, lot and then weight, rim thickness and baring surface. Who knows if it makes any difference, but I am trying it.

I am still waiting for the new bases so I can switch over to the Signature Zee rings.

At my home club I can shoot any distance from 50 feet to 200 yards and I have access to an indoor 100 yard range, so worse comes to worse I will going there.

April 1st I will be at Cherry Ridge Gun Club for this years Bob White Clinic and that afternoon I will try shooting it there.

This is my first Bench Rest rifle with a tuner, so I have some additional learning to do.

Bob

H&R 12 won a national IR50/50......true dat!!

Now fella's don't go slamming the humble H&R model 12......Truth is most of the accuracy is in the barrel and it's proper installation.

A little history......Herb Smith from Avon Minnesota had Dean Bircher and Elmer Latila install a barrel on a H&R 12. The thing shot exceptional, of course if you know Herb then you also know his ability to read the flags.

Now back around 2008 or when DJ Hepler was still shooting Herb Smith, Bill Zabrowski and Dean Bircher decided to head east to a IR50/50 national. If you know any of these guys, especially Zabrowski or Bircher you can imagine what kind of ride out and back that was.......

Anyway Herb won a classes or two (250's) with the H&R and ended up beating DJ Hepler for the over all national win!!

I remember that H&R very well, placing second to that rifle for a season or two really helps your recollection. Actually several shooters had themselves an H&R chambered up by Dean & Elmer and more then a few times having shot a nice 250 I was out X'd by one of those H&R model 12's.

I realize that most like a nice custom action and I have a couple myself, but I also have a few H&R model 12's that I've installed barrels on and they seem to shoot right with the customs.......not alternative facts either........just the facts.

Seems easy to judge the potential of equipment on sight......you know the potential after the match.

Mitchell Johnson

Last edited by a moderator:
Back