Thinking of trying something to add weight

A lot of guys have been talking about experimentation lately.
Is it against any rules to add weight to an LV gun by means of a steel or lead block say 1-3/4 wide by 3/4 thick by 6 long that a person could bolt underneath the stock just forward of the trigger gaurd. Make the block to weigh 3 lbs

Last edited:
You can tie a rock or a mailbox onto the rifle as long as it doesn't take it over 10.5# if you want to shoot it in Sporter or LV.
(and if it doesn't take it over 3" wide for LV or HV).

Many stocks, I know for Terry Leonard's in particular, have an about 1" hole behind the butt plate just for weight addition....just make sure the weight is firmly attached and can't move. A loose weight cost an old gun mag scribbler a Grand agg at a Super Shoot one year because the weight came loose.

I've got a couple stocks with a weight system in the butt but it's only a few ounces you can add not 3lbs
I was thinking since this stock is nothing pretty to look at anyway it would be something to try
Bat 3lug glued in. I think I can drill and epoxy in place 2 nuts into the stock flush with the bottom. Then I can bolt on the weight. Maybe a little silly but I can use all the help I can get. Looking pretty doesn't matter much to me. The little bitty holes in the target are what matters

Last edited:
I took in an old McMillan stock long ago that had exactly what you are talking about, only the block was made of brass. It weighed exactly 3 lbs.

Good to hear I'm not off the rocker to bad

Thanks

Tim, don't let us discourage you from experimenting. Experimenting is how the benchrest game got started.

One thing to consider though on adding weight. In an area where I spent a few thousand hours in my younger years, aviation, consider weight and balance together as a unit. Not just weight by itself. The balance of a gun in the bags is of significant importance as to how it shoots especially when you are trying to shoot fast.

A good shooting PPC shoots just as well without adding weight. The idea that a heavier rifle will shoot better is kinda "old hat". That said, any help the weight would give would be taken away due to sheer aggravation.

Do a little bit of looking at the winning equipment in match results before you add weight. Folks did it for years but finally quit for the most part.

A good shooting PPC shoots just as well without adding weight. The idea that a heavier rifle will shoot better is kinda "old hat". That said, any help the weight would give would be taken away due to sheer aggravation.

Do a little bit of looking at the winning equipment in match results before you add weight. Folks did it for years but finally quit for the most part.

I hear ya. On a good shooting rifle and shooter shooting the same gun just as well in both classes. I can't tell how much my bench manners at this point of my experience are hurting me. That a heavier gun might hide a little as I learn.
I can't tell from the equipment lists how many of the top guys shooting HV class are using their Light gun. Im guessing probably most are. They have a vast amount more bench shooting under their belt than me

This might be a rash statement, but I would bet good money that of all of the records that are held in class HV, and HOF points won at National Events, at least 3/4 were actually shot with a 10.5 pound Rifle.

The only justification I can see for having a true HV is if it is chambered in 30BR and you are shooting score. It then just doesn't bump you as hard.

Last edited:
Tim a ss or brass but plate about 1/2 inch thick will get you close.

Didn't think about that. I'm sure it will be better to have the weight to the butt.
I'm just not prepared to try to drill deep enough into the butt to add a long enough round rod to get 3 lbs

A thicker butt plate that can be screwed on for HV would be much simpler than my idea

Thanks
Mike

I don't know about the butt plate after all. The project stock is a TM with the coffin style butt It would have to be to thick to get the full 3 lbs I would like to add.

I may have to find somewhere to take it locally to set up and drill into the butt and find a source for a tungsten rod.

I don't know about the butt plate after all. The project stock is a TM with the coffin style butt It would have to be to thick to get the full 3 lbs I would like to add.

I may have to find somewhere to take it locally to set up and drill into the butt and find a source for a tungsten rod.

IMO, adding weight outside the bags might not be the best for balance.

I had a TM stock once that I made a 1/4" thick steel butt plate, and mounted a weight in the middle of it. I epoxied two rod couplings in the stock to mount the plate to, and bored a hole in the center for the weight. I took a piece of 1" copper pipe and poured it full of lead, which I drilled and tapped to fasten to the plate. I could pull the aluminum plate off and put the steel plate on in minutes. Don't recall how much it ended up weighing though, but it worked fine.

Back