The Sumo

S

sgeorge

Only because a very special gentleman enjoys seeing his creations shown off and bragged about.

Attachments

• sumo 001.jpg
    sumo 001.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 438
  • sumo 002.jpg
    sumo 002.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 410
Last edited by a moderator:
So Steve,

How well will it shoot and what would it cost to have one hand delivered to me, along with your assistance in teaching me how to shoot it? LOL
All of these innovative and futuristic BR air rifles are starting to nudge me toward the “Dark Side”!

Landy

Landy,

Where should I begin. Nebraska is beautiful this time of year, oh well. I have been testing 2 barrels, one cut rifled, .216 X .219, 1-18 twist and one button rifled, .215 X .220, 1-16 twist. Indexed both barrels, even though I have told that is a complete waste of time, at 30 yards in excellent conditions, the cut rifled barrel posted groups approximately 1 inch apart, the button riffled barrel posted groups .75 inch apart, horizontal on both being the worst dimension. Set both at low POI, cut rifled does 5 shots groups at 30 yards of .250, button rifled same at .200. Also, cut rifled barrel seems to be less affected by conditions, hold off is less. Trigger is under 2 ounces and view from the scope does NOT show the typical impulse seen on slow motion videos of pellet flight.

We would be glad to have you come over to our side, you will find the ammo is much less expensive.

No. Bolt opens a little more on cocking, barrel is right there to insert the pellet. I hope this cut rifled barrel might do a little better with heavier pellets at something around 30 FPE. This air tube holds a bunch of air.

Pete,
This is a picture of it cocked. I shot it in NY and had NO problem putting a pellet in.
083.jpg

Paul

Pete,

Even with my big old Arthritic fingers the loading area was doable.

Dave

By request, some other details. The action is almost 10 inches in length and 1 inch wide. The barrel is .875" OD, the air tube is 1.5" OD and there is .5" between them. The side cocking action opens and closes with one finger. Yes, the action looks like it is sitting on top of the stock but is almost 1.5 inches below the stock line. No, that is not my new March scope. That is Chip's Leupold, whenever he wants it. The stock is an MBR copy that is inletted and has bedding compound over 1" OD pillars. It needs a trigger guard, butt plate and some kind of finish or paint. Currently set up for HV and easily makes weight.

WOW !

But it is easy to get great bullets for c.f. Benchrest ...

This would make you look at making little lead bullets for your Benchrest airgun.

Post some targets and talk about the projectiles used.

Please.

And a work of art too.

I really like the way that rifle looks right NOW.
Just clear finish the stock.

At first I thought why not lots of colours then the more I looked the better I liked this as it is.

A fancy painted stock or multi coloured laminations would take something from the barreled action I believe.

These colours go well together.

Glenn

Will hold off posting any pictures of groups as to not upstage Todd's latest experiment.

Pellets, cheap and cheap. Little pieces of lead made in dies of unknown precision and often used far too long. The cut rifled barrel is not very sensitive and shoots everything very well. Still need to try the JSB 18.1s. The button rifled barrel has it's favorite being a 14.6 from Cometa. No longer available but I have lots. All of our typical pellets are very light and short, when compared to a rimfire bullet. Velocities in HV are approximately 800 FPS, so slower than the rimfire crowd. Our pellets also have rounded heads, not the wadcutter style used by the 10m shooters. We hope for custom pellets, made in precision dies for short runs to maintain tight tolerances. Until then, did I mention pellets are cheap.

Todd,

I will but would like to put one up that is representative, not cherry picked.

18 months ago, we hoped tuners would help our barrels, as they did the rimfire folks. I convinced Mr. Harrell to make up some downsized versions and sent them out for shooters to try. Unfortunately, no good reports have come in. Some are having good success with air strippers but that may be a tuner effect. This cut rifled barrel being .875 OD does not want something heavy on the muzzle, fastest way to make this barrel ordinary. I may try an air stripper but will get it made of delrin, so it is as light as possible.

Lots of groups being shot, displayed and discussed.

I am not a fan of groups but it has become one of those standards. When I do it, 5 shot groups make sense. Worst edge to worst edge minus .165 is my method.

My quick method is to try to put all 5 shots inside the 9 ring, which is 8 mm. So, .315 minus .165 equals .150. If any of the 5 actually touch the 9 ring, I add .50, so .200. Not very precise but, for some, measuring with a set of calipers can be a challenge.

Well, I shot some more groups.

First, the opinions. If there are rifles that shoot better than the shooter, this is another example. Also, this rifle shoots much better than the pellets we currently use. The advances in equipment and barrels will never end but until pellets catch up, scores are stuck. Maybe, this is a good thing as it will depend more on the shooter than the equipment, both indoors and outdoors.

The groups? 5 shot, 30 yards and remarkable when you consider there is nothing but air pushing these little pieces of lead.

4 groups, holy grail type, to say "one hole" is an understatement. No point measuring with calipers, only TDS would tell the tale.
21 groups, something up to .150 range.

Now, for me, this was frustrating. Once you shoot the little, bitty groups, everything else looks terrible and forces you to re-examine every aspect of your setup. Also, the choice of paper to print targets on is even more important when you want to do things like this. Bottom line, the chase continues.

Looks like the winners may be the fellows who are best at sorting pellets? For sure, just as in Rimfire, it gets to be about the ammo or the barrel that will shoot everything well, of which not many exist. The pellet sorting thing though - - -

Sooooooo Steve,

With all the agony of pellet problems aside, which of your barrels seem to produce the best results with what we have to work with now?

Mark N

Mark,

Of the 2 barrels I have set up for the Sumo, the button rifled barrel is doing a bit better at 20 FPE. Now, the cut rifled barrel needs a new crown. Afterwards, another round of indexing and some shooting at 30 FPE will give us a clearer picture. I do not want to name barrel brands here because we all know that the next one from any manufacturer might not perform as well.

Some other things of note. I like the side cocking mechanism more and more each day. Easy to cock, easy to close. I also have found spots to set the rifle up in the bags where you can open, cock, close, fire and open again, with the reticle never moving. Now, sometimes I get overzealous over a great group and it moves a touch on that last open move. ;) Same thing when the agony over these pellets puts a "wart" in the group. :mad:

Back