The significance of tenon diameter

tenon ??

Thank you Boyd. I wasn't quite sure what a tenon was. But now I do.
Bill (canis lupus)

but I am afraid very true. If anyone wants a good gas gun, I wouldnt lolygag around before I bought one.

If the Democrats control both houses and the Presidency the guns we already own won't be safe. I sure hope people are actually thinking of the big picture before they vote Tuesday. Pelosi, Reed & Obama, a nightmare for sure.

I once sold one for a friend - - - -

Bill, titanium has been used to make rifle actions. McMillan at one time made a hunting rifle with a titanium receiver. I'm not aware of one that is made for benchrest shooting.

Like you, I am not a metalurgist.

Gene Beggs

The action was made in Canada and looked a lot like a Hall. The bolt was sticky in it. One had to keep the bolt greased upand it was still sticky to operate; nice looking action though. Both Bolt and receiver appeard to be made of Titanium but I could be wrong about that part.

Gene
I'm mostly a rim-fire guy but.
I still think your system has merrit. Getting the most accuracy from your barrel is huge. I know that speed means if you miss a condition, you miss less than a guy who is running a little slower and misses the same condition. But if you have confidence in your load and barrel, and learn how to shoot the wind it means less misses. I shoot slow, since I shoot a break open center-fire
I can't run the pressures up.
So for me your advancement in this means I can build more accurate Rim-fires we all run almost the same speed, and pressure is not a factor.
In Center-fire I'd like to run with the big boys as soon as I have a bolt gun to compete with, but if I know the rifle is capable of .0's I will have the confidence to hold off for the wind, and wont mind going a bit slower.
Thanks for your hard work!
Kim

it's a shame but - - -

there are always those who are quick to discourage anything that is "un-conventional" deeming it to be either unnecessary or wrong thinking. I would like to see folks chill a bit and encourage different thinking and other ideas. When it comes to mechanical things and machines improvements can always be made, the Japanese have a long history of it. Perhaps we should get them involved in BR rifles. :)

To Gene Beggs...

Normally the barrel threads would only have be tightened enough to keep the barrel from turning loose. To take advantage of the support that the tightened bushing could offer you probably have to make sure the bushing is really torqued up. If this is done you probably can keep tenon stress down nearly as low as it was originally. This construction is about the same as a compounded, or shrink fit cylinder. The stress in such a cylinder depends on only ratio of o.d. to i.d., in other words you shouldn't lose any strength or stiffness with your indexing arrangement. If you experienced excessive enlargement of the tenon and case sticking I think it was only because you simply didn't have it tight enough.

Now-

I'm confussed? If you tighten the bbl shoulder up against the action face or load distributing washer,[recoil lug] wouldn't the flank of the tennon threads pull the flank of the threaded bushing tight to the flank of the threads in the action? I don't understand the "torque the bushing" part.

Maby I'm Tight?

Steve moore :confused:

I think it's been determined that the inner thread has to have a different pitch for the indexing arrangement that Beggs is considering using. The only point Varmint Al was pointing out is the higher ratio of radial loading to axial loading that you get with a different thread angle. Don't think the spiral insert has application here.

This whole assembly has to be tight to bring ALL the threads into engagement. This is necessary to get the stiffness the bushing and receiver add to the tenon.

Last edited:
pacecil,

Thank you for your response.

The reason I ask, is because I think varmint al may have been suggesting it, to increase strength of the tenon, by using radial loading caused by the bushing.

For example, and this is just my way of looking at it; if the bushing od was tight to the receiver, and the bushing id (only) or the tenon od (only) had the spiralock form thread, more threads would be engaged, than with all 60* threads, and those threads would be providing radial loading to the tenon, thereby increasing it's (strength, or) resistance to movement.

And yes, we are still talking differential threading.

What do you think of the spiralock in this format?

By the way, I believe you are probably correct on increasing torque value to increase tenon strength, or shall we say, resistance to movement.

Whichever threadform is used though, it seems all threads would need to be engaged, to prevent the tenon from having to "act on it's own".

http://www.ts-systemtechnik.de/pdf/spiralock_katalog_fastener.pdf

Last edited:
Normally the barrel threads would only have be tightened enough to keep the barrel from turning loose. To take advantage of the support that the tightened bushing could offer you probably have to make sure the bushing is really torqued up. If this is done you probably can keep tenon stress down nearly as low as it was originally. This construction is about the same as a compounded, or shrink fit cylinder. The stress in such a cylinder depends on only ratio of o.d. to i.d., in other words you shouldn't lose any strength or stiffness with your indexing arrangement. If you experienced excessive enlargement of the tenon and case sticking I think it was only because you simply didn't have it tight enough.

Thanks for the good feedback; I feel much the same as you, I do not feel the indexing bushing weakens the installation appreciably. As for tightening the joint; I tend to over tighten.

After positioning the barrel and snugging up the bushing with the rear entry tool, the barrel torques up just as it does without the bushing. I have never seen the joint loosen even after firing as many as forty rounds of hot loads that produce 3350 fps with 68 grain bullets from a 20.5 inch barrel.

Testing continues.

Later,

Gene Beggs

I am pretty sure that there is merit to barrel indexing. But I set barrels back on a regular basis, and they all shoot the same as before, and I am sure I don't hit that magic spot everytime. Maybe I am just lucky........jackie

This is a solid point. And sinceyour experience has been as you so clearly stated then for you I can see no benefit to indexing.

al

jackie,
Maybe having a weight at the muzzle masks the effects on group sizes that different index positions would show by preloading the system, kind of like a pressure point makes some factory sporter weight barrels shoot better.

Back