The Marsh Action

Pete Wass

I noticed in the equipment lists for the recent group Shoot quite a few Marsh actions. I looked them up on line and am somewhat impressed with the way they look. They apparently perform as well as they look. It appears to me they are quite short, compared to most actions. I would say that tis a plus. Nice to see new stuff.

Pete

If you cut a Panda through the middle of the ejection port, removed an inch and a sixteenth and rejoined the end pieces, you would have the Marsh Saguaro action. When it first came out, some commented on its shortness, but if you compare it to the shortest BATS it is longer than they are. The Panda, and Stiller's Viper are really .308 length actions, and of course the world of short range benchrest game is all about PPC and BR length cartridges. Shortening the action, moves the weight of the barrel back in relation to the stock, which is an advantage for rifle balance, if one shoots a 10.5# rifle free recoil.

Thanks Boyd

If you cut a Panda through the middle of the ejection port, removed an inch and a sixteenth and rejoined the end pieces, you would have the Marsh Saguaro action. When it first came out, some commented on its shortness, but if you compare it to the shortest BATS it is longer than they are. The Panda, and Stiller's Viper are really .308 length actions, and of course the world of short range benchrest game is all about PPC and BR length cartridges. Shortening the action, moves the weight of the barrel back in relation to the stock, which is an advantage for rifle balance, if one shoots a 10.5# rifle free recoil.

I remember seeing some pictures on here years ago of a real short Wichita action. I thought at the time, why didn't that catch on? I have lusted in my heart for one since. If I was still enthused about CF, I wold ne ordering a Marsh.

Pete

Boyd I am getting caught up on my projects in a few weeks. Can you add detail and any dimensions needed to the drawing you sent me? It seems I may actually get to do some thing I want to do soon!!!! Call when you get a chance.

The marsh action.

speaking of short Br actions like the Marsh/ what about thestiller cobra actions are they still being made?
It was a short version of the panda also.

Funny story. Doc Marsh called Jim Kelbly and ask him if he could copy the Panda. Jim said no but it was copied anyway...almost.

Less bedding area and that shorter attachment may effect gun performance. Better or worse???

Probably the question is do you want more barrel or firmer attachment? I'd take a more rigid attachment. I've never been able to get longer barrels to stay in tune as well as shorter barrels. JMO

Strangely, I have been seeing more actions bedded, pillared, and screwed lately. So, that takes the glueing surface area out of the equation.
Like Jerry, I've also found shorter barrels easier to tune and stay in tune. Weight restrictions determine from which end of the blank, the finished barrel comes.

Strangely, I have been seeing more actions bedded, pillared, and screwed lately. So, that takes the glueing surface area out of the equation.

IMO, most of the bedding pillaring and screwing today is because of these short round action which come unglued much easier. There are gunsmiths, like Terry Leonard, who have developed a process that holds these short round actions, but the average GI seems to have more trouble keeping, even the longer round actions. glued.

No doubt in anyone's mind that the Panda action shape with its large flat footprint and its vertical sides that requires shear to break loose offers more secure holding than the average round action. But, hey, today its monkey-see, monkey-do!

What Dr. Marsh told me was that he asked Kelbly's if they were interested in making a short action and they replied "no". Then Dr. Marsh asked if they would mind if he made one and again the answer was "no". So Dr. Marsh bought the necessary tools to do the job and went to school on weekends to learn how to use them. I think the results surprised everyone. If this information is not correct, maybe Jim K. can jump in and correct it. The Marsh is not a shortened Panda, although it is similar in that it is an aluminum action with steel inserts. I believe that there is room for both of these fine actions. James

Attachments

• 2013-12-29 21.jpg
    2013-12-29 21.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 684
  • NF-2 001.jpg
    NF-2 001.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 721
Last edited:

IMO, this is not entirely true. The area of a larger action to bedding surface may well have advantages in terms of dampening...Think about it like this...What if you bed an inch in front of the barrel, none at all, or all the way out. Does it matter?

Back