The flat side on scopes.

tjensen

Hi all.
Is it your experience that the flat side on Leupold scopes or the flat underside, are pararell to the crosshairs?
Or, the top of the screw on cap?

What about on other brands?

Thanks in advance.

i beleive there is at least one method of mounting that is based on the base.
i have used base and level on the top/scope cap
Hi all.
Is it your experience that the flat side on Leupold scopes or the flat underside, are pararell to the crosshairs?
Or, the top of the screw on cap?

What about on other brands?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all. Is it your experience that the flat side on Leupold scopes or the flat underside, are pararell to the crosshairs? Or, the top of the screw on cap?

Not always.

Leupold seems to have issues with this. But I've seen it from other mfgs. too. -Al

Afaik, Nightforce is the only brand that warrants that their crosshairs are parallel to the flat on the bottom of the scope.

GsT

Thank you all.
Looks like my eyesight is right ;)

At my 100yd target butt are two things I consider to be important..... a 5ft tall plumb edge to staple white targets to which gives me a black/white reference against which to immediately check plumb of crosshairs (and use for boresighting, setting bags etc) and a "tall target" on which I've an 8ft vertical surface upon which I can shoot top-to-bottom of travel

I've never checked a scope for accurate travel side-to-side

At my 100yd target butt are two things I consider to be important..... a 5ft tall plumb edge to staple white targets to which gives me a black/white reference against which to immediately check plumb of crosshairs (and use for boresighting, setting bags etc) and a "tall target" on which I've an 8ft vertical surface upon which I can shoot top-to-bottom of travel

I've never checked a scope for accurate travel side-to-side

I don't have a range close so I'm always looking for ways to level scopes in my shop.
Have all the gadgets ;)

I don't have a range close so I'm always looking for ways to level scopes in my shop.
Have all the gadgets ;)

If the receiver is in the stock 'square' (not rolled over one way or another), the little Segway plastic reticle leveler does a nice job. On hunting style stocks with a bit of cast off, after the range work is done I level the reticle with the gun in the offhand shooting position.

Good shootin' -Al

Let me see if I can explain a simple way to have the crosshair index to the rifle.

First level the rifle.

Set the scope in the rings.

Have a flash light and a white piece of foam board handy.

Shine the flash light down the objective end of the scope. The white board will be the projection screen. Move the projection screen in and out until you have a clear sharp image of the crosshairs. Now if you remembered to draw a vertical line on the white board and can keep it vertical, adjust the scope in the rings to line up with the vertical line on the white board. Sometimes even a vertical line drawn on a wall will work.

I don't feel it necessary to explain how to level the rifle or draw a vertical line.

Very handy in a small shop.

Best wishes.

Let me see if I can explain a simple way to have the crosshair index to the rifle.

First level the rifle.

Shine the flash light down the objective end of the scope. The white board will be the projection screen. Move the projection screen in and out until you have a clear sharp image of the crosshairs. Now if you remembered to draw a vertical line on the white board and can keep it vertical, adjust the scope in the rings to line up with the vertical line on the white board. Sometimes even a vertical line drawn on a wall will work.

I don't feel it necessary to explain how to level the rifle or draw a vertical line.

Best wishes.
well said

First level the rifle.

Best wishes.

Very good idea John.
Thanks

Back