The Better Primer

D

Dodge Man

The Federal Match Grade 210 or the Federal 210, which one is preferred for target shooting? In the 100/200 yard range with a 308.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used

The Federal Match Grade 210 or the Federal 210, which one is preferred for target shooting? In the 100/200 yard range with a 308.

the 210's straight ahead for years. one dud in perhaps 10,000 used, perhaps more.I have never found the need to use the Match primers.

The only totally proveable dud primer I ever used was a 210GM.

When I disassembled the round & popped it out of the case, I found that they had squirted the red wax over the anvil & primer cup - the bugger didn't have a primer cake!

Primer for matches...

This comes up alot.............. The 205's and 210's are they the same as "gold match" version or not... Nothing different in mix or anvil or primer cup....Nothing.

Difference; the gold match "M" are inspected and weighed per 100 box...

Yes, I too years ago found one missing an anvil in a box of 205M's...:confused:;)

I tried to see a vel difference in 205's and 205M's in a 6PPC.... Saw exact same readings...

Now the CCI BR4 ARE different than the 400's...

If ya think you shoot better with the "MATCH" primers.... Go for it.

cale

If I were working with a .308 and wanted to determine which primer was best for it, I'd do it like this:

First, I'd work up a load using the standard Federal. Then, I'd switch in the Federal match, the standard Winchester, and the standard CCI. There are others that could be tried, but these are my favorites. I'd expect to see both Federals behave about the same, and give good results. I also wouldn't be too surprised to see the Winchester or the CCI do as well, or maybe a little better. If either of the latter two looked good, I'd go up and down half a number (.3gr) on the powder measure with that primer and see it it sharpened the load up a bit more.

-Dave-:)

Dave,

I settled for CCI BR because I know they make them as a separate primer, because the results were as good as or better than most, but of paramount importance, because they seat without fuss, bother or irregular feel.

John

Dave,

I settled for CCI BR because I know they make them as a separate primer, because the results were as good as or better than most, but of paramount importance, because they seat without fuss, bother or irregular feel.

John

It is interesting that the most commonly used match primer (Federal) seems to be the most inconsistant in seating feel. Still, I used them pretty much exclusively for BR since getting started in '95. I struggled with getting and keeping a rifle in top form more this past season than I ever have, which caused me to experiment more than I had in years. Through those trials, I learned a few things about primers that I would never have had I not been re-thinking everything. The primers didn't turn out to be the at the root of the problem, and no, I won't say I'll never use the Federals again...geez, they've worked pretty well over the years, but...I'll likely be using another brand when the matches start back up in the spring.

Dodge Man,

As you probably know, Federal 215, is as efficient as Match 215. I understand what you want, conformation that the aforementioned is correct.

It is my belief that one is as efficient as the other.

Follow through the shot,

John Henry

Humans inspect all the BR and Match primers and being human are fallible. The only primers I've ever had let me down were CCI, which proves the same thing as the bad Feds--nada.

Back