Terms describing sheet vinyl

adamsgt

Jerry Adams
Been thinking about making new vanes for my wind flags. Going on-line to look for sheet vinyl I came across terms that I can't find any definitions for.
What are cast or calendared vinyl. What are "excellent weed-stripping properties"? Anybody know?

From what I remember

I don't remember the Cast process but the Calender process involves a very large (tall) and wide continuous running process. A very long line after the calendar.
The vinyl is mixed dry powder in a separate machine where color powder is added, along with several liquids that make the calendared vinyl to order.
Cold crack was the biggest beside color we faced.

Each 500 lb mix is transferred to another machine with steam heated rollers (2) and a very thick say 2" or thicker is thinned on the machine. Now there were several of these machines making the vinyl mixes ahead of the calender machine.

The reason is color runs from clear to white and then to the colors.
Then the calendar machine rolls had to be cleaned.

The calendar machines I saw were at least 15 feet or more above the plant floor. The machines required a steam generator plant close bye.

The mixed and then rolled 500 lb glob is then transferred to the Calendar machine which rolls the material injecting heat into the mix. When everything is right the material is transferred to the wig-wag and the material is evenly distributed to the finish rollers for the proper gage material. It is at this time the embossing roller comes into play.

I bought cast clear vinyl but never saw the method of manufacture. I always thought it was clear liquid vinyl poured on a flat surface and allowed to cool after reaching the proper gauge.

Ahh Vinyl, those were the good old days.
Hope this helps, (this was 25 years ago) disclaimer!
Centerfire

I don't remember the Cast process but the Calender process involves a very large (tall) and wide continuous running process. A very long line after the calendar.
The vinyl is mixed dry powder in a separate machine where color powder is added, along with several liquids that make the calendared vinyl to order.
Cold crack was the biggest beside color we faced.

Each 500 lb mix is transferred to another machine with steam heated rollers (2) and a very thick say 2" or thicker is thinned on the machine. Now there were several of these machines making the vinyl mixes ahead of the calender machine.

The reason is color runs from clear to white and then to the colors.
Then the calendar machine rolls had to be cleaned.

The calendar machines I saw were at least 15 feet or more above the plant floor. The machines required a steam generator plant close bye.

The mixed and then rolled 500 lb glob is then transferred to the Calendar machine which rolls the material injecting heat into the mix. When everything is right the material is transferred to the wig-wag and the material is evenly distributed to the finish rollers for the proper gage material. It is at this time the embossing roller comes into play.

I bought cast clear vinyl but never saw the method of manufacture. I always thought it was clear liquid vinyl poured on a flat surface and allowed to cool after reaching the proper gauge.

Ahh Vinyl, those were the good old days.
Hope this helps, (this was 25 years ago) disclaimer!
Centerfire

Thanks, so in this case calender refers to a mechanical process and has nothing to do with time. Any ideas on the weed-stripping reference? I saw that a lot as if it was a good characteristic for vinyl. Here's a sentence from one product description. "78# release liner which provides excellent weeding and release values." Still don't know what that means.

Last edited:
"Weeding" might mean picking out stuff that doesn't go on the print. If you cut an "O" in a square piece of vinyl, there's three pieces and you only need one.

BTW - you're biting off more than you can chew covering your flags with vinyl.

Last edited:
Weeding is picking out the pieces after they are cut. Think about cutting out a large design and all of the little pieces that are left inside the design that need to be removed.
I bought some vinyl on e- Bay area couple years ago. It is the best thing for flags. I have a set it leave out all summer on my home range. They are 3 years old and are just getting faded.

Joe Hynes

"Weeding" might mean picking out stuff that doesn't go on the print. If you cut an "O" in a square piece of vinyl, there's three pieces and you only need one.

OK Wilbur, don't leave me hanging, why don't I want to cover my flags in vinyl?

just curious Wilbur

Why do you say "BTW - you're biting off more than you can chew covering your flags with vinyl"? My flags have been vinyl covered from day 1 and I have been selling them for 15+ years. BTW, the color holds so much better than paint and is WAY more intense.
JMHO
David

Why do you say "BTW - you're biting off more than you can chew covering your flags with vinyl"? My flags have been vinyl covered from day 1 and I have been selling them for 15+ years. BTW, the color holds so much better than paint and is WAY more intense.
JMHO
David

David, I am researching vinyl due to the vanes on my wind flags getting in the way of some of my/others bullets. It's a long sad story. Anyway, I had bought five flags from Carbon River who is no longer in business. I particularly like the opposing magnet concept he used to mount the flags on the stands. So, rather than buy new flags I'm looking to refurbish the ones I have. Some searching on the internet led me to a "signwarehouse" site that listed many kinds of vinyl. the Oracal 651 vinyl intermediate Cal seemed to be an appropriate solution. Not trying to be a competitor just wanting to do my own thing.

I guess I was simply doing it wrong. I had a bit of trouble getting the vinyl on the flag surface without goofing it up.

I guess I was simply doing it wrong. I had a bit of trouble getting the vinyl on the flag surface without goofing it up.

I'm guessing you were getting wrinkles in the vinyl while trying to lay it on the vane. There seem to be some different ways to apply the vinyl. One is vinyl with the removable back. Another I saw released the adhesive when it was pressed. This allowed better positioning on the vane. I still need to do more research before I buy anything. Who knows, I may end up trying to buy just the vanes from David or others on this site who make wind flags. But I will be going vinyl.

Yes, wrinkles is a good word for the best case. Certainly there was a better way to do it but you had to buy some extra stuff.

Rick Graham has been offering flags with vinyl covered vanes for a number of years. My friend Lee Gardner, who posts as Skeetlee has a set that he leaves up all the time at his range. He will tell you that despite being out continuously in all sorts of weather that they have held up very well. It seems to me that if they hold up that well when left up all of the time, that they would last more or less forever if they are only put up when shooting.
http://www.brflags.com/flags.html

David, I am researching vinyl due to the vanes on my wind flags getting in the way of some of my/others bullets. It's a long sad story. Anyway, I had bought five flags from Carbon River who is no longer in business. I particularly like the opposing magnet concept he used to mount the flags on the stands. So, rather than buy new flags I'm looking to refurbish the ones I have. Some searching on the internet led me to a "signwarehouse" site that listed many kinds of vinyl. the Oracal 651 vinyl intermediate Cal seemed to be an appropriate solution. Not trying to be a competitor just wanting to do my own thing.

The Oracal 651 is the product I use. Great color longevity. Great adhesive. One trick for applying the film is to work damp. I windex off the coroplast and apply the film immediately. DO NOT try take off the liner and then lay it. Peel an edge of liner back and work from one end and "wipe" the film down. You will find it goes down pretty smooth that way.

Jerry, I replaced the vinyl(Fluorescent green and orange) on my wind flags several times over the years. I found a place in irving,Tx that sells products for making signs,Billboards,etc. They are located not far from where the old Texas Stadium used to be. They have a variety of colors to choose from. Its best to go and pick out the color that suits you most. Very helpful people. They can also give you some suggestions about how to apply the vinyl. The stuff I bought was manufactured by Arlon in Santa Ana,CA.

loS7kIi.jpg

Glenn

Last edited:
The Oracal 651 is the product I use. Great color longevity. Great adhesive. One trick for applying the film is to work damp. I windex off the coroplast and apply the film immediately. DO NOT try take off the liner and then lay it. Peel an edge of liner back and work from one end and "wipe" the film down. You will find it goes down pretty smooth that way.

Thanks for the info Dave. That's the way I was thinking of applying it except I hadn't thought about the windex aspect. Great tip.

Jerry, I replaced the vinyl(Fluorescent green and orange) on my wind flags several times over the years. I found a place in irving,Tx that sells products for making signs,Billboards,etc. They are located not far from where the old Texas Stadium used to be. They have a variety of colors to choose from. Its best to go and pick out the color that suits you most. Very helpful people. They can also give you some suggestions about how to apply the vinyl. The stuff I bought was manufactured by Arlon in Santa Ana,CA.

loS7kIi.jpg

Glenn

Thanks Glenn, I'll check them out.

Back