Technical Series: Ammo

Tim hows the new rifle ? Whats lots do you like lately?

So far I've only shot it down at Gordon's but I'm impressed, it did very well. 6223@1054 Tennex & 6034@1057 Match. At one point I put maybe 7-8 shots in one black hole before I cut it a little vertical. Barrel did nothing unexpected, at one point even stopped to BS a few minutes to see if it would wait a bit for me... it did. Just gotta get a few through it, maybe piddle with the tune a bit more.

Last edited:
id really like to see how eley does it, but am curious do they stop the lot at what point in the process? im 99.9% positive the bullet swadging machines arent inline with the machines that draw the brass, or the ones that insert the priming compound or the ones that add powder and seat the bullet. does any stop in any process result in a new lot, or is it just the final powder/bullet seating process? how many different machines make bullets from wire, and how many draw brass, and how many prime? there are alot of variables involved in making rimfire ammunition.

Friend Hambone,

I am an old and disabled Vet. I have no desire to be physical with anyone other than my Ms. Joannah. I'm sure I don't want to have to sue anyone and I'm sure nobody wants to sue me so quasi-verbal swats will have to surfice.

Friend Pete

Pete

You've misunderstood my suggestion. It has been my experience that those who are bold and bluff on an internet forum are usually nothing like that in the flesh. For what ever reason!
I'm sure that Timbo fits snuggley into that category. No need for any physicality what so ever. just a cordial exchange of views and opinions over a beer or a coffee.

I believe the phrase all bark and no teeth. has some validity. Or in the case of my particular "friend" all mouth and no trousers.

I have to admit I enjoy reading your swats.

Atb

all mouth and no trousers.

Nearly choked on my quarter pounder and large fries there. Let us know where the bedroom is, still willing to fund the cost of the bus.

Now he’s looking for friends Peter, sad really, but one of his usual tactics.

Brian
ps for a cup of coffee and a chat, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pete

You've misunderstood my suggestion. It has been my experience that those who are bold and bluff on an internet forum are usually nothing like that in the flesh. For what ever reason!
I'm sure that Timbo fits snuggley into that category. No need for any physicality what so ever. just a cordial exchange of views and opinions over a beer or a coffee.

I believe the phrase all bark and no teeth. has some validity. Or in the case of my particular "friend" all mouth and no trousers.

I have to admit I enjoy reading your swats.

Atb

So far, I have met him once in the flesh and he was exactly as you discribe here. It's easy for folks to run their motuhs on these forums. not so easy in person when there are other folks around. The interesting thing is I don't value his opinions a heck of a lot a he, somehow, seems to think he knows everything there is to know about everything. Frankly, I don't believe he does. If anyone disagrees with him, automatically they are idiots. Go figure! What ever happned to a civil discourse? In all the years I have been shooting and participating on these forums I have encountered exactly two of this type of personality. One of them passed away a few yeas ago so we don't have to endure his insulence but now this guy - - - - . There is an old saw that goes something like, " there isn't anything wrong with this town that a few good funerals wouldn't cure". It worked once before - - - -

:D:D
So far, I have met him once in the flesh and he was exactly as you discribe here. It's easy for folks to run their motuhs on these forums. not so easy in person when there are other folks around. The interesting thing is I don't value his opinions a heck of a lot a he, somehow, seems to think he knows everything there is to know about everything. Frankly, I don't believe he does. If anyone disagrees with him, automatically they are idiots. Go figure! What ever happned to a civil discourse? In all the years I have been shooting and participating on these forums I have encountered exactly two of this type of personality. One of them passed away a few yeas ago so we don't have to endure his insulence but now this guy - - - - . There is an old saw that goes something like, " there isn't anything wrong with this town that a few good funerals wouldn't cure". It worked once before - - - -

Pete

:D:D:D

Awesome, man just awesome!

I'll start digging the graves. You call the funeral director. I have a name or 2 I'd like added to the list for the grim reaper if thats ok. Ones a definite heart attack waiting to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do have a case or 2 of Eley Match (different lots # and speeds) that shoots good in your rifle and then you get the 2 or 3 flyers per box is there a way the weed out the good from the bad ???? This is the problem I am having now and I do not want ot buy and test new ammo and I will not sell this ammo to anyone else knowing the problem.

Last edited:
If you do have a case or 2 of Eley Match (different lots # and speeds) that shoots good in your rifle and then you get the 2 or 3 flyers per box is there a way the weed out the good from the bad ???? This is the problem I am having now and I do not want ot buy and test new ammo and I will not sell this ammo to anyone else knowing the problem.

Some people say sorting by weight,rim thickness works some say it doesn't matter ..

It could also be your rifle and it could be out of tune.

As far as selling it some rifles love ammo mine would not shoot. So because your rifle doesn't like it doesn't mean someones wont

I have a question for you, did you get this ammo direct from a vendor and what time of the year may I ask?

Eley Match Lot# 1009-04080 speed 1070 bought last year and 1010-03296 speed 1058 bought back in May. I get the same 2 to 3 flyers per box in my 2 rifles and I let a friend try the 1058 without telling him about the problem and after he shot a test target he asked me if I also was getting some flyers.

Last edited:
Eley fliers are pretty rare but have seen a few at local matches over the years. Often they chamber a bit different than others and almost always have an audibly different report.... usually quieter and they tend to drop low and obviously have a lighter charge and tend to make the competitor say unmentionable things.

To confirm detached shots are not "me", I have been shooting over a chrony and shots high will be 30-40 fps. higher. That seems a lot for high end Lapua? Could still be the rifle causing differant ignition? It's the black magic of rimfire!
willy

Back