Survey on barrel crowns

J

Jerry Frodsier

What type of barrel crown do you like?

1. 90 degree

2. 11 degree

Or ?????

Jerry :D

I don't think the shape of the crown makes much difference.
What matters is that it is true and square to the bore, has sharp corners, and is free of burrs, nicks and dings and uneven wear patterns.

Crowns

Jerry, I see more 90 degree and 90 degree recessed crowns now days. The 11 degree crowns seem to be less common. Joe is right. I don't think any of the three styles are superior. The 90 degree crowns look easier to machine. Now, crowns for shooters,both awarded and self conferred, are a different story. Tim

I'm not really shure? I shoot 90s on my bench guns cause that's what my benchrest gunsmith likes to cut,but Jimmy Hart did 11 degs with a chamfer on my varmint and hunting rifles and those crowns are accurate and indestructable! Seems the brush going in and out dosn't have a sharp edge to beat on! You tell me!
joel

crowns

I have used several types over the years, and can't tell the difference on the target.
Now, I just use a straight 90 degree crown with about a 1/16 reccess. The reccess is more for looks than anything else.........jackie

I have used several types over the years, and can't tell the difference on the target.
Now, I just use a straight 90 degree crown with about a 1/16 reccess. The reccess is more for looks than anything else.........jackie

So do you leave it sharp or do you try to grind it a bit to smooth it out.

I like the 11 degree cuss it seem to protect it some.

Jerry

Jerry

I take the last couple of cuts taking just a few thousanths off. I hand feed out, with a very sharp positive rake tool with practcally no point radius. All I do then is hit the edges with some 600 grit with the lathe turning 700 rpm, first running the lathe forward, then reverse. I look at the cut with a 10 x loop, if all is well, that is it.........jackie

Back