Subsonic load for rem xp100

jGEE

Joe Golden
I shoot at my home range and my Rem XP100 is a little to loud....

Does anyone know of a subsonic load, under 1100 FPS?

There is no good reason for a subsonic round other than i want to play with my xp 100 thats been sitting for 10 years.
thanks
joe

Well

I assume you are requesting information regarding the shooting of cast lead bullets.
Therefore you might look in a Lyman reloading manual. But not sure the caliber or cartridge you are reloading.
Centerfire

I assume you are requesting information regarding the shooting of cast lead bullets.
Therefore you might look in a Lyman reloading manual. But not sure the caliber or cartridge you are reloading.
Centerfire

jacketed .224 bullets... Rem 221 fireball. Ive looked in several reloading manuals, nothing. the projectile is normally in the 2000-2500 fps. I was hoping someone has went down to 1050 fps with their fireball or maybe i could get a starting point. I can work up a load of my own maybe that would be more fun. im a little nervous i just don't want to stick the bullet in the barrel.

One load is 18 grains of powder... do you guys think i could start off about 10 grains.. i wonder if just the primer will push the bullet out the barrel? Well i got some experimenting to do.. joe

Joe

Are you familiar with Detonation?
I am not but I have head of it, possibly others might know more.
What I remember is that it is not good to have your small charge powder lying in the case.
I think it gets into using fiber to take up the space in the case.
Why not just look into the cast bullets and the charges listed in manuals?
Centerfire

Very dangerous trying to go subsonic. Gotta go with extreme heavy bullets that wont shoot in your twist. Be careful to not lodge a bullet in the barrel. Id go for a suppressor.

another thought

They used to make steel inserts to change caliber.
You insert the insert into the .221 chamber and then you could shoot .22 LR ammo which can be pruchased at the sub sonic level.
Just a thought.
Centerfire

Find here - http://www.jamescalhoon.com/tobee2.php - reduced load data for the 223 Remington. This will give you a starting point to work from for the 221 Fireball.
I have used this data in a 223 rifle using Blue Dot powder. Accuracy was unsatisfactory and pressure was erratic. But it might work out well in a different rifle or a smaller cartridge. Caution!!! – it would be easy to mistakenly double or triple charge a case using this data.

Option 2 (which you didn't ask for, but you're getting the advice anyhow): Rebarrel the pistol. Buy a 1 in 6" to 1-8" twist, .30 caliber barrel and build a .300 Blackout or .300 Whisper on it. There's a wide range of good .30 caliber bullets, ranging from 110 grain flatbases to 240 grain boattails. Heavy bullet subsonic loads are readily available for both calibers, just do a websearch.

Practical applications of either cartridge:

• Metallic handgun silhouette shooting,
  • Short range (200 yards and under) animal control (possibly using suppressor),
  • Handgun hunting of deer,
  • General plinking.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have a friend who reads this board and may or may not comment on this thread. He has been using Blue Dot for a number of years in a 221 Fireball with 40 gr bullets. He finds that the noise is greatly reduced, barrel temps are much lower, he virtually never needs to clean his barrel and accuracy to low end prairie dog distances is very good. That's a hard combination to beat. As was related above, the only thing you need to watch is how much powder. It's very easy to do a double charge and the results will be unpleasant.

Rick

I've been playing with subsonic, here are some of my disorganized thoughts.

They are MY THOUGHTS, not meant as "replies" to other posts. Not arguments.

-22LR subsonic is Da' BOMBE'!!! Quieter than a pellet rifle. And has adequate power for pest control. Too much for in town!
-Other 22's....Making an AR platform quiet is hard. And 223 NOT subsonic but suppressed is a complete waste of money IMO.
-A truly subsonic 22 on the AR platform will be a single-shot which kinda' defeats the purpose of the AR platform nehh???
-Making an AR quiet using the 30cal is much easier, and pretty cool, but useless. Too heavy for pests, too light for hunting.
-IF one chooses to try the big 22CF cases (22BR/221FB/22-250/223 etc) I agree with Trailboss as the only safe alternative.
-I've had really poor luck using cast lead bullets in rifle barrels.... I've still got one soaking and am concerned about ruining it.
-Big subsonic stuff kicks the everliving SNOT out of me. My current brake is 12" long and I'm working on tripling it's capacity.

opinionsby

al

I've known a few to put good money and time into subsonic loads just to see and play. I can see the want to use an old rife friend again. For me I have an old Remington 510 single 22 lr. and after I discovered the cci 22 subsonic the older air rife model Beeman R7 sits in the closet. Like the poster above said, 22lr subs are the bomb.

Back