Straightening a 10 inch diameter Rudder stock.

Jackie, is it common to see them bent at the coupling end? It just seems like its so far up the driveline I would have thought it were uncommon. I realize something likely stopped the shaft & there's tons of torque there. What did the prop end look like?
Also I suppose there's a limit as to how much bend can be straightened before replacement is necessary?

Keith

I am lockdown bored so searched for how to straighten a barrel - Amazing what an expert can do with minimal equipment!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB1KfwffqHM

* doggie *

I have watched several of this fellows videos, and he has a good common sense approach to Rifles used in hunting applications.

In extreme accuracy shooting, we tend to sacrifice many aspects of rifle performance in the name of a given combinations ability to have a bullet take the exact same path as the one before it, time and time again. The only performance it needs on the other end is the ability to punch a hole in paper.

Real world ballistics and a bullet’s ability to put down a live animal is a different thing.

As for this method of straightening a barrel, for the applications he is describing it is perfectly sound.

Last edited:
Jackie, is it common to see them bent at the coupling end? It just seems like its so far up the driveline I would have thought it were uncommon. I realize something likely stopped the shaft & there's tons of torque there. What did the prop end look like?
Also I suppose there's a limit as to how much bend can be straightened before replacement is necessary?

Keith

Most of the run out on the coupling end usually Is a result of the welding in repairing any corrosion in the seal area. It might not be but .010 or so thousandths, but it still has to run dead true.

Usually the machinist will pop it straight, take rough cuts to remove the weld within about .030 of size, re-straighten, then take the finish cut.

That is where these types of straightening rigs really come in handy. Easy to use, and you can put the tonnage exactly where you want it.

Tell me what was crooked, the bore or the OD.

Butch,

Based on the wobble, I'd say both!

IIRC, Kevin Thomas wrote an article for PS about a tour of the Springfield Armory museum he went on, and describes the barrel straightening fixture they used back in the day. When fixtured in the device, the barrel pointed to a source of light, and the operator rotated the barrel and looked through the bore to spot run-out. He then used the device to put pressure on the high spot, working the bore to "eyeball" true. In theory, it worked much like Jackie's shaft straightener.

It would be interesting to check bore straightness on one of those barrels straightened by one of those old craftsman. I'd be surprised if they didn't run fairly true.

I think Savage straightened barrels in the same way. Not sure if they still do.

Justin

As if none of those folks don't keep something profitable to their well being all to themselves. Jackie has a responsibility not only to his customers but also to those who depend on this specialized work to continue coming in. They have their own personal responsibilities and Jackie to keep his family business alive and well. I don't understand how anyone can find a fault in doing just that.

Butch,

Based on the wobble, I'd say both!

IIRC, Kevin Thomas wrote an article for PS about a tour of the Springfield Armory museum he went on, and describes the barrel straightening fixture they used back in the day. When fixtured in the device, the barrel pointed to a source of light, and the operator rotated the barrel and looked through the bore to spot run-out. He then used the device to put pressure on the high spot, working the bore to "eyeball" true. In theory, it worked much like Jackie's shaft straightener.

It would be interesting to check bore straightness on one of those barrels straightened by one of those old craftsman. I'd be surprised if they didn't run fairly true.

I think Savage straightened barrels in the same way. Not sure if they still do.

Justin

I saw a tv show quite awhile back at Savage factory straightening barrels the same way.

As Jackie said,"Barrels do not have a bore in an arc". Yes, I've witnessed barrel "straightening?? So if you get the bore in a better shape does the OD look like a limp noodle?

As Jackie said,"Barrels do not have a bore in an arc". Yes, I've witnessed barrel "straightening?? So if you get the bore in a better shape does the OD look like a limp noodle?

Butch,

My guess is that the barrel OD looked like a limp noodle to begin with, hence the straightening.

I agree...bores are not drilled in an arc. But a bore certainly could be arced due to a bend in the barrel caused by something else. Improper/no stress relieving comes to mind. Remember, in Springfield Armory's case, they were making a zillion barrels a day, often under war-time pressures and deadlines. I don't think the attention to detail and QC compares to a custom barrel shop of today.

If I had to guess, the thought, back in the day at Springfield Armory, was that a visually straight bore equaled accuracy,
hence the straightening fixture. Something we now know is not the case.

Not trying to argue straightening's viability. I just think it would be interesting to know how straight the old timers could get a bore using nothing but their eyeballs.

Justin

Justin, the ones that I saw straightened were contoured between centers. The outside was straight, but not the bore. Yes, a good craftsman can look through a bore laying on a fixture to allow you to spin it, can see even small variations in a bore.

Here is a question one might want to ask themselves. If Jackie's process has flaws and his straighting will not last. Why are his customers still using it instead of having new shafts made. One could only imagine what it costs to have a tug down for a day. But they surely wouldn't be continualy paying for a faulty process that would only have it becoming down more often. Jackie how many shafts have you had to re-straighten due to just normal use.

Here is a question one might want to ask themselves. If Jackie's process has flaws and his straighting will not last. Why are his customers still using it instead of having new shafts made. One could only imagine what it costs to have a tug down for a day. But they surely wouldn't be continualy paying for a faulty process that would only have it becoming down more often. Jackie how many shafts have you had to re-straighten due to just normal use.

Louis, Jackie and family have been doing this many years. The quality of his work and the expense of a new shaft ain't close in price I would guess.

Louis, they stay straight, that is, until a Captain decides to plow up the south forty.

If you spend enough time doing this kind of work, you will understand how difficult it is to bend one off these shafts, and the kind of applied tonnage it takes to straighten one. This is the very reason we built and use the equipment we do.

Who's saying Jackie's process has flaws??? did I miss a page?

What is the horse power of the power unit on a typical tug?

I believe they used to use a lot of Detroit's??

Dave, Inland Pushboats that we work on generally can range from about 1000 HP to 3600 HP.

Detroit’s used to be very common in the inland business, 12-71, 16-71, 12 and 16-92’s, 12 and 16 149’s were quite common. Caterpillars came in 8 cylinder 379, 12 cylinder 398, and 16 cylinder 399’s.

About 15 years ago, as the push for cleaner and more efficient engines were mandated, the two cycles started disappearing as the new series of high speed 4 stroke Caterpillars and Cummins started taking over the market. Today, the full electronic controlled turbo 3500 series Cats and the KT 19 and KT 38 Cummins are the engines in the majority of the Inland Vessels up to 3600 HP.

In the larger River Tugs, which can be up to 8000 HP, you see a lot of 645 and 710 EM’s, as well as large foreign manufactures, such as Mann and Mitibishi.

Hey Dave look up. “Towboat gallery Marie henderick” and you’ll see my ride.
The front of the house is isolated from the hull. The quietest and smoothest boat I have ridden.
This one stays in Mississippi River.

Back