Stock painting costs?

D

ducksoup

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for painting my benchrest stock? Looking for a basic one color and maybe an option for flames. I know the sky's the limit and the real fancy airbrushed jobs but I'm looking for pretty simple.
Thanks

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for painting my benchrest stock? Looking for a basic one color and maybe an option for flames. I know the sky's the limit and the real fancy airbrushed jobs but I'm looking for pretty simple.
Thanks

Find a local shop that does cycles, probably do it for $100 give or take. Or you could go one color and have it dipped.

Thanks

Do a Google search for Tactical Graphics. I sent my McMillan F-class stock to the shop in Melbourne Florida for a Hydro Dip job and it turned out great. Their stock prices start at a hundred bucks. My stock has an adjustable cheek piece and I asked for a two tone base coat, so the cost for my stock was about $150.

They prime and base coat the stock first. Then they dip the stock using one of a huge selection of patterns and then clear coat the stock using a tough automotive two-part clear.

Unlike many other shops who quote a 30 day turn around, these guys claim 10 days or so, but my stock was back in my hands in a week. Highly recommended.

_DSC6141-Edit-Edit

There's always more than one way to do things but, I'm getting a stock ready to paint myself. I just bought the needed items to do the job. Materials alone were right at $200...not including sandpaper or buffing compound.

I have to go with TM. The materials that you got will they stand up to solvent? not likely. I have a stock painted with an automotive paint and it went squirrely when a drop of solvent landed on it. TM uses a hard paint of some sort and when it goes through the rigours demands of SR it will last. But it is your money.

I have to go with TM. The materials that you got will they stand up to solvent? not likely. I have a stock painted with an automotive paint and it went squirrely when a drop of solvent landed on it. TM uses a hard paint of some sort and when it goes through the rigours demands of SR it will last. But it is your money.
This ain't my first and I've never had a problem. How many stocks are out there with auto clear on them and how many problems besides yours. Nothing against TM...but auto clear has proven to be a very durable finish.

Probably just comes down to what you want, but I've had four stocks wrapped and have been pleased with the results of all. The last was done by Tactical Graphics in NC. Cost me $125. All mine have been finished with automotive clear coat and I've never had any damage with solvents. Wish I could say the same about the finish on my wood stocks. For future reference, if you want to take the finish off a Cooper, just dribble a little Wipe Out on. It will take it off slick as a whistle.

Rick

Thanks

Getting it done right will cost some money, probably more than you might think. Be very careful with one thing, if the rifle is any where near max weight paint jobs can add a lot of weight if done by an inexperienced gun painter.
As mentioned several times earlier Tom Merideth at T&M is excellent. Maybe not the fastest or the cheapest but definitely one of the best.

Last edited:
How does stock painting work if the action is glued in the stock? Do you have to remove the action and send only the stock, or can the gun be painted with it all still together. The previous owner of my rifle dropped it and has messed up a kind of dated but nice paint job and I am unsure as how to get it fixed or if its worth it to even try.

I have heated up the actions and popped them out of the stocks when having them sent for finish. After all that I found an extreme auto painter near home. Even for that I popped an action out. To get the action glued in again isn't that bad of a job. As Dick said the trick is to do a standout job and not add weight.

I hear people say that about "adding weight" a lot. There are two ways to paint a stock and not add weight. One is to remove an equal or greater amount of weight from the stock before, during or after painting it. The other way is to use a helium base coat.;)

I hear people say that about "adding weight" a lot. There are two ways to paint a stock and not add weight. One is to remove an equal or greater amount of weight from the stock before, during or after painting it. The other way is to use a helium base coat.;)

Hey Now.....

Helium is going up in price, and we're running out of it. IMO using it for gunstocks is poor allocation of resources and can raise the price.

Please reconsider the use of helium in painted stocks.

al

Hey Now.....

Helium is going up in price, and we're running out of it. IMO using it for gunstocks is poor allocation of resources and can raise the price.

Please reconsider the use of helium in painted stocks.

al

Lol! Al, are you insinuating that there may be a more plentiful supply of hot air?:)

Keep in mind that a rifle with no paint at all will shoot pretty good. I can do that for you for $25 including shipping. Just send me your address and payment and I'll send you a receipt and a piece of sandpaper...Done! The only thing is, you can't shoot the rifle until you get the receipt...voids the warranty!

Paint must be some kind of accuracy enhancement. We do like for our rifles to be pretty...even if it shoots threes and fours!

I am having my f-class rifle painted as I type this. The local body shop is doing mine. I got lucky and the color I wanted was discontinued , but had I had to pay for this color the paint would have been 250$ an ounce. Freaking crazy I know. I'm sure basic colors are much cheaper, but I had no idea paint could cost this much. Ill post some pics when its done! Lee

I am having my f-class rifle painted as I type this. The local body shop is doing mine. I got lucky and the color I wanted was discontinued , but had I had to pay for this color the paint would have been 250$ an ounce. Freaking crazy I know. I'm sure basic colors are much cheaper, but I had no idea paint could cost this much. Ill post some pics when its done! Lee

Wow! What color is it, Lee?

This is a version of Brandywine, by House of Kolors. It's still my favorite. It's basically a tinted clear and is translucent. The base color beneath it has a big effect on the finished color. I can do ghost flames and graphics in it by changing the base color of the flames, lettering, etc, before applying the brandywine over it. That's what I'm doing on mine. I'll be putting "Ezell Custom Rifles" on it but it won't be audacious or gaudy. It'll be more apparent from some angles but barely noticeable from others...hence the term "ghost". You can see in this pic how the color changes at different angles. As with most paint, pics can't do it justice. I charge about $500 for this.

1896811_628570220556793_1091067540_n.jpg

Last edited:
Here's another one. I didn't paint this one but rather, the guy who taught me most of what I do know about painting, did. He had over 40 hours of time in this paint job. Thankfully, he's a good friend who is very talented and patient. I would never have been able to pay his rate for that long on a stock. He did it for basically the cost of materials...and beer.:). Last I knew, Chad at 10X bullets had it. I should've kept it but I just couldn't justify a hunter class stock for my purposes. Again, pics can't do it justice at all.
Your imagination and wallet are just about the only limits on what you can have done. I stick to solid colors and basic graphic as I'm just not talented enough to do the really complex art work, but he has done a few more for me that I needed him for. He can do pretty much anything you can dream of. He painted a Calfee rf stock for me that Wally Smallwood shoots. I don't have any good pics of it, but it was black with some multi colored graphics, the name of the gun, as Calfee is fond of naming his builds, and Chromillusion mixed into the clear. The chromeillusion is very expensive and is basically several different colors of pearls that make it sparkle and change colors from different angles. It turned out very nice, too. I'm sure some of you have seen it at some rf matches. I think Wally had to do some gouging on it for some reason and at some point, really messing it up, but I thought it was a beauty before that. Another thing that's nice IMO, is to simply clear over some stocks, like the McMillan swirly patterns. It really makes them pop and is pretty easy to do..much easier and nicer than sanding and buffing the existing gel coat that they use. The only down side is that they all have minor flaws and pinholes in them. It's tough to make the absolutely perfect because you just cant put any fillers and primers on to fill all of the little imperfections unless you paint it. McMillans are the worst I've seen about the pinholes and imperfections. They're typically a good stock, of course..just not real slick. You can fill a lot of them as you go, but sometimes you'll be filling literally hundreds of pinholes on them. That's not much fun, taking a tiny brush or toothpick and dabbing a small drop on every single one of them before the last coat or so. The last step is to wet sand and buff. I use 3000 grit for the final wet sanding prior to buffing. Of course when you're done, it's nice, though.

558996_392986740781810_896074638_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back