Stock painting costs?

I hope my last couple of posts help everyone understand why it's not practical to expect to get one done very well for cheap. In fact, I don't see many people beating the door down to offer this service. The people that can do it well can make more money working on something else, for the most part. I enjoy it, though. It's always nice when you finally finish one up that turns heads.

Or...you could shoot it the way it comes..and spend the money on
bullets and powder...shoot better vs looking better.

Or...you could shoot it the way it comes..and spend the money on
bullets and powder...shoot better vs looking better.

Sure, you can! The op evidently wants to paint his stock, though, and was wanting ballpark prices. He has received some good info on what to expect and why. I assume that leaving it as is was considered before he asked. It'd shoot just as well with Obama stickers all over it, too.

lol...they'd give him back his match fees and tell him to get lost

Sure, you can! The op evidently wants to paint his stock, though, and was wanting ballpark prices. He has received some good info on what to expect and why. I assume that leaving it as is was considered before he asked. It'd shoot just as well with Obama stickers all over it, too.

This is a version of Brandywine, by House of Kolors. It's still my favorite. It's basically a tinted clear and is translucent. The base color beneath it has a big effect on the finished color. I can do ghost flames and graphics in it by changing the base color of the flames, lettering, etc, before applying the brandywine over it. That's what I'm doing on mine. I'll be putting "Ezell Custom Rifles" on it but it won't be audacious or gaudy. It'll be more apparent from some angles but barely noticeable from others...hence the term "ghost". You can see in this pic how the color changes at different angles. As with most paint, pics can't do it justice. I charge about $500 for this.

1896811_628570220556793_1091067540_n.jpg

I think I know that rifle!
JR

One basic color can be a DIY project. All you need is a small spray gun, regulator, and air compressor:

Sand, fill any problem spots, mask tape the stock, and prime:

Knock the primer down with 800 grit and clean with mineral spirits:

Proceed to your color:

I like one tack coat followed by two mediums. Finish up with clear if you so chose:

Go slow and be diligent in your prep. It really isn't that hard to lay down a good single-color paint job. Now if you want graphics, outsource it.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Back