Stainless bar stock

Jim Kobe

I need to make a set of custom bases for a stainless action. Where can I get some 1x5/8 flat bar in a free machining (Like barrel steel) material. Or maybe I should use CM.

Jim

Small quantities can be bought from McMaster Carr or MSC Direct. Barrel ss is typically 416 stainless. Aluminum generally is fine for bases.

Last edited:
Small quantities can be bought from McMaster Carr or MSC Direct. Barrel ss is typically 416 stainless. Aluminum generally is fine for bases.

Not for a 416 Rem Mag

And, MSC wants $223 plus shipping for a piece 1/2 x 1 x 12

Thanka

Jim

Last edited:
I've never seen a scope base fail What does a failed base look like? I have seen old Weaver bases that had severely worn cross slots but it was due to a scope being loose..probably for years. I doubt it shot well.:eek:

Kobe, call me. I have a lot of stainless material. 416, 400, 303, and 17-4. These are just the ones I know for sure that I can cover your dimension. I do have some 440, 304, and 316, but not sure of the dimension, I would have to check.
You'll be at the American Custom Gunmakers Guild at the Dallas Safari Club show next weekend won't you?

Last edited:
I've never seen a scope base fail What does a failed base look like? I have seen old Weaver bases that had severely worn cross slots but it was due to a scope being loose..probably for years. I doubt it shot well.:eek:

Mike, I don't think Kobe would use aluminum on a $10,000+ rifle. If he wanted standard bases, he would buy them.

What size fasteners will he be using. If this Rifle will destroy a 7075 T-6 aluminum base, I would be using nothing less than 10-32.

If the OP needs a piece of free machining stainless, I have a lot of 303 round bar from 1 1/4 diameter to 3 inch. I will give him a piece. He can mill it to what ever rectangle shape he wants.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions guys, appreciate it a lot. I think butch has what I need. These will be for custom bases for a Mod 70 stainless for Talley QD rings and then off to Cameroon for Bongo I think.

Jim,

Have you tried Discount Steel in town, I have purchased SS bar stock from them in the past.

By the way, nice job on the 3-position swing safety you did for me on the Mauser 98.

wade

I've already shipped him a chunk of 416R. He can make several now. Aluminum may work, but he would probably buy Talley bases before using aluminum. You do not want aluminum bases on a very nice custom.

I need to make a set of custom bases for a stainless action. Where can I get some 1x5/8 flat bar in a free machining (Like barrel steel) material. Or maybe I should use CM.

Jim
Have a look at McNeilus steel in Dodge Center Mn.

Have a look at McNeilus steel in Dodge Center Mn.

Roger, you must have missed my post. Jim has checked at Butch's steel supply and has plenty going his way. That way I didn't have to lug it to the Dallas Safari Club International show in Dallas this weekend. Jim is a member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. Jim also did the metal work on the 416 Remington pre64 President's auction rifle this year. Go to the DSC show this weekend and buy a chance.

FWIW, I love integral bases. No sheared/loose screws, and no rust sneaking in under the base. There is loss in eye relief options... an opportunity for scope manufacturers. One of them offers the same scope with two different turret locations. Viva la railed scopes! ?

Back