Solvent Tests

I have seen the effect of moonshine at some of the southern matches where moonshine is used. It hurts accuracy. I've seen where the only thing that is certain is that you'll hit the ground. They can't hit the urinal or the wall it's on and don't even think about using the two holer after they have. But, hey, they aren't all copper or leaded up. We're still talking about barrels, right?

Kroil works well for me, Lee.
But, we also follow the cleaning with Boron nitride and alcohol.

Francis, the Tennessee Apple Pie blend is the exception to hurting accuracy....ask Brady!

I cleaned my Sporter

a few days ago. ( Rimfire Sporter Y'all) It was loaded with lead at it's breech and about 2" behind the crown. This barrel has always leaded up in those two spots. It "silently" collects the lead in layers over time until suddenly, no xes! Without a borescope, one would never find the issue.

Here is a truism I believe I can say without hesitation: if one sees any gray stains on a patch, they have lead fouling. All of the RF barrels I have collect lead. Perhaps there are barrels that don't out there, I don't know but all of mine do and have since they were new.

What I have found that does remove lead is either copper mesh, like that on a chore boy scrubber (I have some that is pure copper) or the Big 55 lead remover wrapped around a used up brush. Both work, when used with the previously mentioned lead remover. Would I rather not use those things? Of course I would rather not. I would like to have a barrel or barrels that only required patches to keep them clean but to date, I have not seen one, either with CF or RF barrels. I thought a Ratchet might be the answer but that hasn't proven to be the case either.

Pete

Would I rather not use those things? Of course I would rather not. I would like to have a barrel or barrels that only required patches to keep them clean but to date, I have not seen one, either with CF or RF barrels.
Pete,

You asked for solvents, but the best method I've seen for cleaning metal fouling from barrels is electrochemical. While Outers discontinued their Foul-Out units (units are still for sale), searches online ("Electrochemical barrel cleaner" or "electronic bore cleaner" are good starting points) show designs for do-it-yourself electrical systems and electrolytes which do the same work. Have heard of complaints where people claimed the electrochemical unit pitted their barrel, but have never seen this result in my cleaning using such a system. On the other hand, have seen lots of lead flakes come out of barrels "cleaned" with Lewis lead removers.

Hope this helps.

Back