So just why does the PPC shoot so well?

F

Fretka

When starting out recently with load development I found what most already knew........the PPC likes high pressures and high neck tension and possibly jamming the lands. Really makes me wonder what the mechanics are.

My guess is that the burning process inside the case has progressed quite far before we get bullet movement into the bore. It would seem that we get a positive, increasing gas pressure wave early which accelerates the bullet all the way to the muzzle without undergoing any " slowing-accelerating" jerkiness to the bullet travel. In other words the reservoir of gas pressure from burnt charge is enough to provide smooth, even positive pressure without oscillating positive/negative waves caused by pressure spikes from a large unburnt reservoir of powder that is still building as the bullet exits the muzzle.

Whaddaya think?

The ideal powder capacity to bore diameter.

There are other chamberings that shoot as well. The 22 PPC Short and several of the short 30's are just as accurate. So is a 6BR when you shorten it.

With good bullets, a 25 BR is just as accurate.

So why is the 6PPC usually the winner?. 98% of the Rifles on the line at any BR Group Match will be chambered in 6PPC.

Unless you just want to be different, there is no real reason not to shoot one.

The neck tension requirement is entirely determined by the powder that is used. 133 likes relatively high neck tension, other powders may not need nearly as much.

Dennis, when the brass for the PPC was extremely hard to get, many shortened the BR case by pushing the shoulder back ~.100". The name given to one version was the Talldog and Fred Hasecuster shot his way into the Hall of Fame using it. Good shooting...James Mock

The neck tension requirement is entirely determined by the powder that is used. 133 likes relatively high neck tension, other powders may not need nearly as much.

For N133, what is considered high neck tension? Neck down one step or use two bushings?

Thanks

The 6PPC shoots so well because it can. We all know the saying, "Shoot a 6PPC or get beat by a 6PPC".
Bill aka Trout

.262 is chamber dimension. I turn my brass to .0088.

Lawrence brings up a point.

First know what your chamber neck actually is, not what the reamer says or what is stamped on the barrel.

Manage your desired neck wall clearance by measuring the loaded cartridge neck with the bullet seated.

You will get a zillion answers as to what that neck clearance should be!!

As long as the answer is clearance its a good start! I am a fan of looking at the outside neck carbon

Hi Dusty

Some carbon outside means the clearance is good?

newbie questions, but BR shooting is in the early stages here, so we need some guidance....

There is some thought that on a "normal" PPC fired neck that if the carbon forms a line that looks like a sine wave as it goes around the neck that this is a good sign. (pun unintended)

It appears to me that all underbore cartridges shoot relatively well up close.
Seems a simple formula.
Small capacity for cal, fast powder, very high pressure(however it can be attained), light bullets(for cal), short barrel.

This is a formula that isn't viable in long range shooting/cartridges. And if you took away any one attribute listed for an underbore, it would also collapse.

It appears to me that all underbore cartridges shoot relatively well up close.
Seems a simple formula.
Small capacity for cal, fast powder, very high pressure(however it can be attained), light bullets(for cal), short barrel.

This is a formula that isn't viable in long range shooting/cartridges. And if you took away any one attribute listed for an underbore, it would also collapse.

I'm not disagreeing. In fact, I largely agree...But by that logic, a 30BR would BENEFIT from a shorter barrel than a PPC.

Again, I'm not disagreeing. In fact, I've often told my customers that a 30BR didn't NEED as much barrel as a PPC. I just don't know where or if the beneficial line may begin and end.

Perhaps, a tighter bore, such is used in full bore comp may actually be of benefit with the 30BR and similar. Most agree that H4198 with typical BR bullets, in typical bores, is a tad too slow. We also hear that "big" bullets and a lot of jam and neck tension are best..often. I'm wondering if a bore that is a few tenths tight may be of benefit.

Last edited:
I know that with like .001 clearance per side you get a solid carbon line around the neck halfway down. Too close for me. What i like to see is that line dipping all the way to the neck/shoulder junction in 2 or 3 spots (according to your action type) like boyd said it looks like a sine wave or like the wax on a makers mark bottle. If the carbon goes all the way to the shoulder you got plenty of clearance but more than i personally like. Gotta measure over the biggest part of a loaded bullet.

Re: loaded round clearance

it's kind of hard to see in static pictures but...

left 2 cases, ~1 thou clearance per side,

right 2 cases, about 2 tenths more clearance per side.

Back