small primer/ flash hole advantages?

Mbp

That is the way The 220 Russian and the 6BR come, so many of us never give it much thought one way or another. Considering the level of precision and accuracy that is being obtained with this combo, it is difficult to argue with the concept.

One time I did see a shooter delibertly open up the flash holes for a particular reason was at the last Nationals in Kansas City. Larry Bagget was sick and tired of the verticle that he was getting with 133, so he went to the local Cabelos and bought a can of 4895 for the last 200 yard event on Saturday Morning. He also picked up a drill and drilled the flash holes out to (I think), .080.

How did the larger flash hole and 4895 work?? He won the Yardage. Mind you, he did not shoot anything "small', just five nice round groups. Of course, Larry is also one of the best shooters in the Country.

Go figure............jackie

wondering.....

If anyone has done any testing to prove/disprove the small vs. large issue? I know of shooters that open up (slightly) flash holes. Pete Wass, I am considering a midrange varminter, specifically 6x47L, 6xc or plain ole .243 win. I know there are cartridge differences, so this isn't really apples to apples .......I wonder if the small pockets would be a deciding factor for anyone who might have some data....or some good old experience. Good brass comes for all the cartridges I have listed. just wanting some opinions, thanks Jackie & Pete

I shrink the flash holes in my brass from .082" down to .072", and it does seem to like it better that way. keep in mind that this is in a 30-30 case with a large primer. This case is also long and skinny compared to a PPC or BR case. I have found similar accuracy to the PPC and 30BR, with .1" range groups the norm in good conditions.

Michael

thanks mturner

i'm going with the ppc or br case ---I will probaby just build a lv gun to use on dog towns, and if I ever get the urge to compete I'll already have the rifle---I am going to take whatever advantage the small hole is and use it mp

Several years ago

a well-known bullet maker/ experimenter extrodinair published that he had opened up his Lapua 6 BR cases to the same size as the Remington 7BR cases he had used for years becaues he believed his Rem cases gave him better accuracy. I did likewise and saw no ill effects but I am not good enough shooter to be able to tell any difference , probably.

I started in Benchrest shootign a 30HC which is an Improved 30-30. It came with Federal American cases and I proceeded to find a few more of them to use. They have been hard to find most of the time so I went to Winchester 30-30 cases. I could not detect any difference in Accuracy by using either case.

Small primer cases seem to give longer lived primer pockets. Other than that, I have yet to see any difference. My 30-284-1.650" cases have yet to enlarge a primer pocket and some of the cases I have used for 4 years now.

Small Primer advantage for accuracy = Benchrest Myth # 76

I shrink the flash holes in my brass from .082" down to .072", and it does seem to like it better that way. keep in mind that this is in a 30-30 case with a large primer. This case is also long and skinny compared to a PPC or BR case. I have found similar accuracy to the PPC and 30BR, with .1" range groups the norm in good conditions.

Michael

michael-michael-MICHAEL!!! And HOW do you do this??? I've been trying to find a method for LO these many years..... 15yrs at least....

I need to know!

al

Primers are the one variable that we have little control of. A smaller primer will have less variances than a large, with all processing being the same.

Back