Shooting The FX Impact MKII

Pellets are almost pure lead- very soft. Easy enough to make a push through sizer out of a bit of tool steel. Course I have a small machine shop which gives a bit of an advantage in that department. but these are not rocket science, drill bit, import reamer, toothpaste ( cheap polishing compound) Many eons ago prior to the shop I made a few for myself and a couple friends in several sizes with just a small drill press, hack saw and some files.You get creative when cash is short.

Pellets are almost pure lead- very soft. Easy enough to make a push through sizer out of a bit of tool steel. Course I have a small machine shop which gives a bit of an advantage in that department. but these are not rocket science, drill bit, import reamer, toothpaste ( cheap polishing compound) Many eons ago prior to the shop I made a few for myself and a couple friends in several sizes with just a small drill press, hack saw and some files.You get creative when cash is short.

I was thinking the same - even mild steel would probably work unless you hit very high volumes. Mostly though I was wondering about the pusher - do you make it pointed to match the pellet skirt, or do you just go with a blunt surface, like the bullet sizers I've used? I'm assuming you'd lightly radius the lead into the sizing die as well in order to avoid cutting lead from the skirt. Perhaps I should start experimenting.

Side note: toothpaste?! really? Never tried it, but that seems super, super fine for polishing steel.

GsT

Edit: clarification

FX Impact - Episode 10 - Regulator(s)

Hi,

I've come across an odd phenomenon. Please take a look at the attached NF50 target and check out the difference in vertical dispersion between the first 8 shots and all the remaining shots. Beginning with shot No. 9, vertical dispersion is very good to excellent.

I've noticed this on other targets as well. After a number of shots, vertical improves dramatically. I think I may have stumbled upon the reason for this and it has to do with the pressure difference between the main bottle and the regulated plenum.

Up till today, I've always filled the main bottle to 250 bar and shot until the bottle pressure drops below 150 bar. After every fill, it takes about 20 shots for vertical dispersion to calm down. So today I was ruminating on why FX equips the new M3 Impact with two regulators. There must be a reason for the added parts and expense.

And then the light went on. My vertical dispersion appears to improve as the pressure in the main bottle drops closer to the regulated pressure.

To test this, I filled the main battle to 250 bar and shot consecutive 10-shot groups. Sure enough, as the main bottle pressure dropped to 160 bar, vertical stated to improve. Vertical kept improving until the main bottle reached 130 bar (the regulator is set to 120 bar.)

During this test, average velocity was 932 fps with an exteme spread of 12 fps. Obviously, the regulator was working as it should.

I have no idea why vertical improves as main bottle pressure gets closer to regulated pressure but perhaps that's why the M3 Impact has two regulators.

My plan is to try this test again in the near future 'cos today may have just been a fluke.

Jan

Attachments

• NF50 Pellet, DSC06111.jpg
    NF50 Pellet, DSC06111.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 119
That's a common issue with mechanical regulators.
Springs, washers, react differently versus pressure. I'm not shooting with that high power, but even with lower ones, say 24J, there's still a somewhat vertical dispersion.
Key is knowing where the "comfort" rifle pressure is, and shoot on that window.
Maybe electronic ones, I know that Daystate have them, could be the future, if rules allow them...

That's a common issue with mechanical regulators.
Springs, washers, react differently versus pressure. I'm not shooting with that high power, but even with lower ones, say 24J, there's still a somewhat vertical dispersion.
Key is knowing where the "comfort" rifle pressure is, and shoot on that window.
Maybe electronic ones, I know that Daystate have them, could be the future, if rules allow them...

Hi Pedro,

Thanks for the confirmation. The comfort window for my FX Mk 2 seems to be regulated pressure of 120 Bar and bottle pressure of 150 Bar or less which seriously limits the number of shots per fill. Perhaps one of these days I'll buy an external regulator and tether the rifle to a bottle pressure of 130 bar.

But first, I'm going to do more testing with an initial bottle pressure of 150 Bar just to be sure.

Jan

Just a thought

Jan, have you tried www.utahairguns.com? They are really big in FX and have quite the assortment of after purchase items they make like the dual bottle adapter, etc. You might be able to speak with one of their FX experts.
Centerfire

Jan, have you tried www.utahairguns.com? They are really big in FX and have quite the assortment of after purchase items they make like the dual bottle adapter, etc. You might be able to speak with one of their FX experts.
Centerfire

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. The two bottle adapter looks to be a very useful option but its a bit spendy for me. The extra 480 cc FX bottle is $299 alone.

Jan

Jan...Huma makes a internal reg for your gun that works properly. They also make an external reg that’s about 180 euro for DIN valve tanks.

You can also just let your big tank get down in pressure and tether it to test your idea with a long shot string.

Mike

FX Impact - Episode 11 - Update

When I started this thread, the FX Impact MKII was the hot ticket; a few short months later, it’s obsolete. Nonetheless, it’s all I got, so I keep testing. Maybe I’ll have some breakthrough discovery – not likely – but possible.

Here’s what I have so far.

It’s happier without the shroud and moderator.

It’s quite fond of JSB 25.39 redesigned pellets.

Best velocity is somewhere between 930 and 940 fps. This is with the regulated plenum set at 120 Bar. I've adjusted the regulator from 85 to 130 Bar, 120 Bar works best.

Sometimes the pressure differential between the main bottle and the regulated plenum appears to make a difference on paper, sometimes it doesn’t. To cover all the bases, I limit the main bottle to 220 Bar.

There is no difference on paper (or on average velocity, extreme spread, and SD) using (a) pellets straight out the tin, (b) pellets washed and shot dry, and (c) pellets washed and lubed with ballistol. The barrel leads-up under all the above conditions. Leading is a bit less with lubricated pellets.

Sizing pellets has no effect.

It takes about 20 shots for the barrel to settle-in after cleaning.

I use ballistol for barrel cleaning and for pellet lube because the Impact has an o-ring inside the chamber. Ballistol will not damage the o-ring.

The rifle shoots between 244 and 249 with moderate x-counts on the N50 target. It shoots in the 1300 vicinity on an ARA unlimited target and in the high 230's on an IR 50-50 card. Perfect N50 scores are very rare because I always get at least one unaccounted for flyer on each target. Maybe the flyers are due to barrel leading or perhaps the truly awful choke in the FX barrel. Maybe it’s just less than perfect pellets.

All-in-all, it’s been a great learning experience but I’m ready to move on. I have a new mystery rifle on order and perhaps in a few weeks (hope springs eternal) I’ll find out if I reached the end of the Impact’s capabilities or the Impact reached the end of mine,

New adventures await.

Jan

So little time - so much compressed air.

anschutz 9015 is killer for br25 (25m) in lv category. Now they offer it with a br stock as well, not cheap, thought.

From 25m to 50m, you'll need a different beast. Also look ar rti prophet. No specific br stock available, but conversion is not hard.
i bought 25 cal with a clip 10 yrs ago i have never shot it has old time tire pukp to put in 1000 bbs of air after i bought it i found that i could not hunt with it until this yr./ pa. A louded it on some small game i saw on tv. They were shooting boers with large cal.will try in time good luck to you will wait for your results

i bought 25 cal with a clip 10 yrs ago i have never shot it has old time tire pukp to put in 1000 bbs of air after i bought it i found that i could not hunt with it until this yr./ pa. A louded it on some small game i saw on tv. They were shooting boers with large cal.will try in time good luck to you will wait for your results
use daisy flaigs best there is asked boyer,

Back